Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pope's 1949 CJ3A - 4.3L, SM465, Dana 18 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 8:25pm
Sorry, I am late to the party :) Excited and eager to see how it runs. 

So stock frame length, stock suspension height (SPUA)? SM465 + AA adapter + Dana18?  Can you please measure and post what's the bell-housing to tcase output flange length? And your rear driveshaft length?

Thanks! 
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 3:18am
From the back of the engine block to the rear of the transfer case output yolk is about 26" with the transfer case brake removed.  Driveshaft is around 16"....that still gives a fair amount of free space.  

Keep in mind, my firewall was already notched which helps accommodate the engine, distributor and bellhousing.  I would imagine other folks who are considering a similar project will need to do creative "massaging" of the firewall to make a swap like this work.  It is not possible without a little sheet metal work (unless the internet can prove me wrong).
Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 2:53pm
Another rant begins here.  

I towed the Jeep to three different exhaust shops.  One quoted $1,500, one quoted $1,300, and the last one told me to buy parts and then he would quote me to install them.  This is ridiculous.  I could install another engine for that amount of money.

Well, I guess I'm welding my own exhaust.  A quick trip to Napa and I've got exhaust parts coming soon.  

My Build
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 4:33pm
Hey Pope!

I have used per-manufactured bends (30's,60',90's) with luck... They also have several types of flexible pipes you can use for off-sets and things... I have also used exhaust wrap (tan or black) to cover up some pretty awful welds Embarrassed. Hey, it helps keep it cool and kool LOLLOL

I bet you will do great! Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 8:11pm
Ordered some pipe and we are off to the races.  There will be welding tonight!  2.5" and 3" pipe should sound pretty nice.

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2020 at 6:24pm
Exhaust is now done.  Welding it all together was easier than I anticipated....as long as the tub is off!  Once I got into the job, it was actually kind of fun.  Even without a band saw, I was able to figure it out without a problem.

I need to install some exhaust tape on the driver's side where it passes close to the gas tank/fuel pump.  I don't want the fuel getting too hot.  Ya know...explosions and all....

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 2:01pm
A little work on the front frame horns to accommodate the Warn 8274 tonight.  When I bought this Jeep, the previous owner said if I bought it I could choose one of his winches for free....well, along came a sweet 8274...and it works!  

The winch will sit a little lower in the frame rails to allow more air flow into the radiator.  The winch mount will be bolted under the pieces you see here, so the winching force will be pulling "up" on the frame rails...in theory.  I decided that I wanted this winch/winch mount to be removable and not welded into the frame.  I would hate to curse myself later on for welding all of this together without a way to reverse it.  This is especially true if I plan on putting longer springs on the front axle someday.  Gotta clean up these welds a bit.

Later on I will be adding some 2x4" steel tube to appear more like a stock bumper.

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2020 at 7:47pm
This is the reason I will never get a tattoo....I'm always changing my mind.

So far I have put 5 coats of paint on this thing....keep in mind, this is industrial grade stuff, so I'll probably have around 15 mils of corrosion protection at the end.LOL  It will never rust again!  I've changed the gloss level once and the color twice.  I've settled on Mopar PRC Firecracker Red which is a current color that I saw on a Rubicon the other day.  Under this lighting the picture makes it look more a little fluorescent red/orange, which it is not.  Now we wait for it to cure...

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2020 at 3:54pm
Wiring, plumbing, painting, welding....we are getting there.  New fuel pump arrived yesterday.  I'm also fabricating a battery tray for the passenger side.  Pictures to come soon.  There really isn't much room for anything under the hood on these things.

My Build
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2020 at 6:06pm
Wow David you are really moving along, you seem very motivated! Look at all those parts! Looks like Santa came early for you LOL
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2021 at 9:01pm
First start today!  This exhaust sounds awesome.

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 1:48pm
The past few days have been busy.  Battery mount in progress.  I'll need to attach it to the fender, but I'm not sure yet.

Next is the radiator mount.  The fan is located a bit low on the radiator.  Hopefully it will pull enough air to keep things cool and vacate hot air out of the hood.  If not, I'll just revert to an electric fan.  I probably won't solve that puzzle until warmer weather anyway.  Before anybody comments....yes, I need to make a shroud for the fan.

I've had to fight for every 1/8".  It's a tight fit!

It looks stock....right?

My Build
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 2:45pm
Awesome!!Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Awesome!!Clap

Thanks!  It's been a fun trip.

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2021 at 9:38pm
Well, I was hoping to get away with the clutch set up I already installed.  But as it turns out, I am running into the same throwout bearing / clutch slave pushrod issue that others have experienced.  The clutch is not disengaging until the very bottom of the pedal stroke...if at all.  I kinda saw this coming.  So I'm not angry.

I think I have the correct OEM type clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder.  The stroke is a total of 1" or more.  I am also running a factory clutch fork.  When you are trying to swap a Chevy 4.3L onto an SM465, I believe you require a longer throwout bearing and shorter slave pushrod as a result of a greater space in between the flywheel and the bearing retainer of the SM465...we shall see.  I could be proven wrong.  With a longer throwout bearing and shorter pushrod, the slave "should" start disengaging the clutch earlier at the top of the pedal stroke.  We have parts on order.  In the meantime, I will be removing the bellhousing and transmission.  I think I have a good plan to get it fixed.  Good thing I didn't bolt the body down!

On the bright side, it was 10F degrees today.  What a great time to pull the transmission in an unheated garage!

For the benefit of others, here are the links for other builds that have run into similar situations.  Both are very helpful.

My Build
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2021 at 10:00pm
If memory serves, there are only two options for throw-out bearings. The stock truck one is too short. There is a longer one that Kane used but I found it to too long in that there was zero wiggle room. In the end, I bought an adjustable one from Novak. I adjusted it to have 1/16” clearance. It lasted 4 years before I had to replace it. I did have to play around some to find a master/slave combo that worked.

My slave cylinder is for a Chevy 1500 truck. 80s.

Master cylinder is from a late CJ7. I forget the year but it would be the first year CJ7 had hydraulic clutch. The YJ master was too small and the Chevy truck master was too much.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2021 at 10:19pm
Thanks for your input Jeff.  Much appreciated.

I ordered the Novak adjustable bearing just as you did.  I anticipate a little adjustment as I attempt the installation.  

Thus far, I think my master and slave are correct.  Here is my theory: I will determine the thickness of the throwout bearing needed by nearly bottoming out the clutch fork against the SM465 bearing retainer, then add 1/16" for the air gap needed.  By nearly bottoming the clutch fork out, this will place the slave cylinder in the start of its stroke / fully compressed.  I will then trim the slave pushrod to that length and maybe a touch longer to account for clutch wear.  By my math, it means the clutch will engage at the top of the pedal stroke and fully disengage the clutch after 1" or so.  I will know more when I take the transmission off and tinker a bit.  We shalll see!

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 9:24pm
While I wait for the delivery of parts, I tinkered with the headlights.  Sometimes it's the little things that give you motivation.

My Build
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>