Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pope's 1949 CJ3A - 4.3L, SM465, Dana 18 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 1:54pm
I also ordered seat covers from BigWillyJeep.com.  These are the black ones.  Very nice indeed!  Worth every penny.

Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 2:13pm
You know what's great about fuel injection?  Reliability.

I've been shaking the jeep down for the past few months and it starts every time, no issues.  It's a wonderful thing.

I've also been playing around on obstacles to test clearances.  On Saturday, I got a little overconfident.....

I dragged the rear diff over a rock and ended up folding the diff cover like a taco...

Thankfully it happened less than a mile from my house.  No big deal...I just unlocked the rear hubs (cool feature!) and drove home under front wheel drive.

I've ordered a heavy duty diff cover from Ruff Stuff Specialties.  In the meantime, I just repaired the original cover, RTV'd it, and filled the rear diff until the heavy duty one arrives.

Edited by Pope891 - 07 June 2021 at 2:14pm

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 5:35pm
I had to run to the dump today, so I decided to see what weight class I'm in.

Fighting weight is 2,720 lbs.  No driver, near empty tank, no spares or tools onboard.  

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 1:31pm
Just a little fun on a steep bank:

PowrLoks work after all!

My Build
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 3:53pm
Nice Pope! You nearly stood that jeep straight up on it's bumper! LOL Jeep looks great
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2021 at 11:21am
It's been a while, so I thought I would post.  This little jeep has been totally reliable.  The only exception was a rear wheel bearing which I fixed a few weeks ago.  I've been driving it regularly since April, probably totaling a few thousand miles.  It will climb just about anything, even with stock suspension.  I have some thoughts on other subtle modifications, but for now, its working great.  87:1 is awesome offroad.

My Build
DesertDog48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 12:19am
Awesome job! Thanks for posting your build. Love those Jackman's! You have built pretty near the ultimate Flatties!  I'm picking up a sm465 hopefully this week to replace a m20 a PO installed in one of mine. I'll bet your kids love it too!
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2022 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by DesertDog48 DesertDog48 wrote:

Awesome job! Thanks for posting your build. Love those Jackman's! You have built pretty near the ultimate Flatties!  I'm picking up a sm465 hopefully this week to replace a m20 a PO installed in one of mine. I'll bet your kids love it too!

Thanks for the kind words.  I haven't worked on the jeep much in the past few months.  More updates to come!  We are due for 9" of snow around here...should be a fun time on Saturday!

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 11:20am
A word to the wise, if you have any doubts about the integrity of your spring center pins, replace them.

Good thing I had tools and a winch!  I simply loosened the U bolts, hooked up the winch, then dragged the axle to its original location, tighten bolts, then drove home slowly.

As you can see, my rear axle relocated about 4" to the rear.  Maybe doing donuts in the snow had something to do with it......Fortunately, this happened at about 5 mph.  This failure happened for two reasons:

1) When I was assembling the stock rear springs last spring, I figured the center pin was "good enough" and didn't bother replacing it.  

2) Afterwards, I realized I needed to add a shim to adjust my pinion angle up.  I am using a CV driveshaft, hence the need to change my pinion upwards.  When I added that shim, the center pin was not long enough to "fully" secure the spring pack to the axle.  It was only engaged about 1/16" into the spring perch on the axle.

After about a year of driving (and some aggressive braking during shakedowns) I didn't have any problems...until now.

As you can see, I replaced the stock pins with longer grade 8 pins from Rancho Part #RS 8127.  I also needed to reduce my shims from 6 degrees to 4 degrees.  I was having some axle wrap issues with all of that power from the mighty 4.3.  This should locate my pinion about 1-2 degrees lower.

So, please be safe.  Please replace old, crusty center pins and make sure your axles are properly located and secured on the spring pack.

Edited by Pope891 - 08 Feb. 2022 at 11:31am

My Build
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 12:17pm
Great advice! Thanks for your report and glad no one was hurt and the repair was minor! I love how your 3A turned out.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2022 at 2:40pm
When you see a "FREE" generator online, you grab it and ask questions later.  This one has a blown engine.  

This fuel cell will fit perfectly in the back of the jeep.  #cheapbastard  

My Build
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2022 at 10:40pm
Great read!  We are on a parallel road, I am currently installing a hyd clutch setup in my new to me 48 CJ2A, I thought my I didn't have room in my engine bay with the 283, wow.  I do have an overdrive they are nice. Keep the pics coming!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:54pm
Wow, it's been a while since I posted here.

A quick update:

I noticed one of the knuckles on my Dana 27 was leaking...that's peculiar...

What started as a relaxing weekend project to check and grease bearings has now turned into a complete teardown and servicing of the front axle.

As you can see, the cornhead grease from the knuckle has mixed with gear oil and now the entire thing is soaked in this junk.  On the bright side, at least it's clean and well lubricated!

I haven't confirmed it yet, but I have a suspicion that there are no axle seals present.  Again, these axles were freshly rebuilt from a well-known vendor.  I bought them 2nd hand with packaging still on them.  I suppose this is a reminder to double check the work that others have done to confirm things were completed properly.  It's a shame really.

Now I've decided to do the following:

-Replace Chevy brake pads (they were ruined due to grease)
-Remove, disassemble and clean the PowrLok
-Install new inner axle seals
-Complete the knuckle stud conversion seen on the links below

Fortunately, this will only cost about $100 from start to finish, including the machine tools for the stud conversion.  

Someday I might upgrade to a Dana 30.  When these tires wear out, I might upgrade to 33 or 35s.  Until then, I'll keep the Dana 27 with PowrLok.

For everyone's use, here are the relevant links:

Edited by Pope891 - 25 May 2023 at 10:31am

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:53am
PowrLok disassembled, cleaned and reassembled (in the rear of the picture)

Stud conversion complete.

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2023 at 10:16am
A few updates.

I replaced the water pump this last spring.  It started to leak from the weap hole in the bottom, which apparently means that the bearing is starting to fail.  No big deal...Chevy small block water pumps are $40.  I also improved the routing of the water lines which got rid of an air bubble in the cooling system.  I would see the temp go from 210 to 230, then spike down to 190, then rise again when I came to a stop.  I have the 4.3 with Vortec heads and I read somewhere that if the water isn't circulating constantly (even with the thermostat closed), you can create vapor issues.  Now the problem is fixed.  Now it runs at 205-210 constantly when warmed up.  Even on 90 degree days in traffic.

Next update:  Front axle

I found a great deal on a loaded wide track Dana 30 with the discontinued Warn IH 5x5 internal hub kit (or at least that's what the internet says it is), a Detriot locker and a bunch of miscellaneous parts.  

Between these two axles and another narrow track Dana 30 I've got kicking around, the build should go smoothly.

Prepped and ready for paint.

Edited by Pope891 - 04 Oct. 2023 at 10:25am

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2023 at 10:26am
I think these are aftermarket Dana 30 steering knuckles.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.  They appear much more beefy than the stock knuckles (bottom of the picture).

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2023 at 10:50am
Here is the Warn IH 5x5 hub conversion this axle came with.  I think it's been discontinued.  It will be nice to have internally locking hubs.  Much stronger.

I have Herm's full floating kit in my rear axle and the Warn hubs started to "click" as a result of the six hub bolts starting to back out and move inside the soft metal casting that Warn uses.  I decided to upgrade (downgrade?) to stock 27 spline drive flanges in my rear axle.  The annoying clicking is gone.

This axle also came with heavy duty steering gear which I will narrow down and rethread.

Edited by Pope891 - 04 Oct. 2023 at 10:26am

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2023 at 8:24am

5.38s and Detriot goodness.  This locker came with the wide track Dana 30 I picked up a few weeks ago.  The previous owner said "come pick it up today or it's going to the junk yard"...can you believe he was going to junk this thing?

My Build
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>