Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable Compressor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portable Compressor
    Posted: 06 June 2018 at 9:37pm
I have been looking at portable compressors and really confused as to what units work better than others. I have a friend that purchased a VIAIR but darn expensive. Any suggestions or recommendations appreciated. I would like to get one this week.
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 9:48pm
what will you be using it for? 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 10:01pm
I have 2 fix mounted Viair 450c compressors. 1 is 12 years old and the other is 4. Love them. I believe the 450p is the portable version.

The 450c is 100% duty cycle.
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 10:11pm
Using to air up Willys tires. No kore than 30 psi. But I have air bags that need 80 PSI on my RV.
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 10:55pm
Bang for the buck, the MV50 compressor available at some parts houses, ebay, and amazon. You can get them for about $60-75. I have units that are 10+ years old and still working just fine.

I have one for all my normal vehicles.

Beyond that....

I run the ARB twin compressor in my built flat fender, great but expensive.

We have also had good luck with the 12V Puma compressor, about half the price as the ARB twin and probably about 2/3rds the air.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

Bang for the buck, the MV50 compressor available at some parts houses, ebay, and amazon. You can get them for about $60-75. I have units that are 10+ years old and still working just fine. 

Agreed
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 12:05am
I think that the ExtremeAir is a top of the line portable pump.

I carry a Vivair in my truck. No complaints.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 2:10am
Here's a link to a YouTube video for a Masterflow.  It might be what Metcalf is talking about with the M50.  I don't have the Masterflw brand, but I do have one that looks exactly like it, including the carrying case.  i paid about $50 for it.  It's worked well for me any time I've used it, but I haven't used it very hard, so I'm not saying it's the best compressor out there.  Definitely good for the money though. http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDeLws4Yfqs

I had a Viair mounted on my CJ5.  I'm not sure what brand I have on my Bronco, I think it's a Viair, but I can't see the lable as it's mounted and I don't recall for sure.  They were both in the $200 range.  I've used both of them a lot harder than my $50 compressor.  They aren't blazingly fast, but they've done well for me as well.

If you aren't just looking for the best compressor you can get for $50, I'd suggest going for one rated for 100% duty cycle.  It does take a while to air up tires, and it's nice to not have to worry about it overheating.

And don't expect any on-board compressor to compete with a shop air compressor, especially at the price.  Having 110 volts keeps the current a lot lower than trying to make power with 12V, so onboard air either is low power, high amp draw and low duty cycle (to keep down heat), or high amp draw and REALLY expensive (to deal with heat).
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 2:33am
I have a Black and Decker Air Station I bought at Target or Walmart that was about $60 and works great. I like that I can set the turn off pressure and it goes up to that pressure and shuts itself off. Great if you want all your tires at the same pressure. It pumps a tire up faster than I expected. It runs on 12V and 110V. 
 Post Reply Post Reply