Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possibe scammer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wynnski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possibe scammer
    Posted: 15 Feb. 2022 at 2:02pm
There may possibly be a new scammer. Goes by the name of morrisondarren09. They have been a member for about 8 hours as of 19.00 GMT
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2022 at 2:14pm
I got a PM from him this morning telling me his friend Jeff Moss has some parts I have been looking for in a thread I posted a few weeks ago.  He gave me Jeffs email address and phone number.  I sent Jeff an email and he responded with pictures of some of the parts I've been looking for.  Does anyone here know Jeff Moss from Nevada or this guy morrisondarren09?

Edited by Scratch - 15 Feb. 2022 at 2:27pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2022 at 3:25pm
I have suspended morrisondarren09

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2022 at 5:30pm
Yeah this guys a scammer.  He gave me the info for Jeff Moss who sent me the pics of the gas tank and seat frames I was looking for.  I googled "Used cj2a gas tank" and seat frames and saw threads on OWF and G503 with the exact same pics from 2018 in two different parts of the country, neither are Nevada.  I've been messing with his asking lots of detailed questions and how to setup venmo since he "doesn't deal in cash"

If he can waste my time, I can waste his.
He even gave me a phone number if anyone wants to call it, I didn't

Edited by Scratch - 15 Feb. 2022 at 5:31pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Greyghost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2022 at 9:06pm

I say fight fire with fire, 

once you have their email address, sign them up to all the dating, sleazy and related sights you can find on the web, 
that way he'll get nothing but spam in his inbox, it'll drive them mad, waist their time and give him a taste of his own medicine

just a suggestion, its what I do.
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 12:02am
So I've been messing with this scammer and thought I'd let you all in.  About 3 weeks ago I posted a thread on here wanting to buy some used parts.  I didn't get any parts from that thread, but today I got a PM from now suspended member "morrisondarren09".  He wrote that he knows "Jeff" has some random 46 parts that he might want to sell and to give him a call or email.  He left his phone number and email.  I emailed "Jeff" with the list of parts I was looking for and he responded with pictures of a gas tank, windshield frame, and seat frames.  He also mentioned he had some U bolts for sale.  the pictures looked legit. 

Then I saw Wynnski's post about morrisondarren09 being a possible scammer....

I replied back asking what he wanted for the seat frames, gas tank and u bolts.  He responded with 450.00

I googled "used cj2a seat frame for sale" and found this thread on Jeepwillysforsale.com from 2019 showing the exact same seat frame pics in New Jersey that he sent to me: https://www.jeepwillysforsale.com/cj2a-original-seat-frames-cranbury-nj/

Then I found the exact same pics he sent me of a gas tank being sold in 2018 on G503 in Wisconsin.  Here's that thread and pics:  https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=301733

I thought I'd try to waste as much of his time as I could so I told him the price seemed fair and asked him where he was located, I was in Wisconsin.

He told me he was currently in Nevada, so I asked him where in Nevada?  I said my brother lives in Nevada and is driving back to Wisconsin in about a month.  If he's close enough, he could pick them up!  (My brother lives next to me in Wisconsin)

He said he was in McDermitt NV.  

I googled it and said my bro lived about an hour away in Winnemucca and he could drive over and pay cash.

Jeff said that for safety... he doesn't deal in cash.  Venmo or Zelle.

I said I didn't know what Venmo or Zelle was, how about Paypal?

He said paypal was fine.

I said nevermind, I've downloaded Venmo and am setting it up.

He said let me know when I need the Venmo address.

I asked him if he was willing to sell the windshield frame as well, he said yes. 125.00

I said sounds fair, I'll let you know when I get the venmo setup.

Then I asked "how many u bolts are there,  Wondering if it's a complete set for an early 1946 or a late 1946.  I have the late 46 so there should be 10"

He wrote back: The U bolt is a complete set, it comes with 10 u bolt. They part are for the late 1946. Did you figure out the Venmo yet?

I told him:  Great!  I've setup Venmo with my bank account, but it says it takes a few hours to link up with my bank.  One more question, I need to make sure the gas tank is correct as I know some tanks for the MB were put in 46 CJ2A's.  Can you measure the gas cap opening.  I need the 4" opening not the 5" opening. It's hard to tell from the picture...

Jeff replied: It’s already measure the gas cap opening is 4’’ opening.

I said: Perfect, thanks for taking more pics. Hopefully venmo will be ready tomorrow.

I'll try and string him out some more tomorrow with some more BS questions.  I'll see how long I can keep him hoping.  

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 9:38am
Heck, call him and say your brother can come down and see the parts. If all is good then you can Venmo and your brother can take home the parts. Tell him you’re just being careful and your brother is heading that way anyway…..
Mike in AZ
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

your brother is heading that way anyway…..
but he's on parole for assault, battery with intent to commit murder so please don't pi$$ him off, don't want to see him sent up for life.. 
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 12:44pm
More emails with "Jeff" today:

ME: I guess Venmo has to withdraw some money from my bank account, then deposit it back again and I have to verify the correct amount for it to work, but it hasn't done it yet so I'm not sure why it's not working.  I'll give it a couple more hours.  It hasn't even been 12 hours yet so maybe.  
I'm not sure if you still have them, but I also need all 3 of the required windshield thumb bolts for the cj2a if you have them.  If you do and want to sell them, let me know how much you want for them.  Maybe take a pic of one of them so I know the condition.

JEFF: Hello Steve,
I think all banks has Zelle, Maybe you should check and if you want to wait for the Venmo then no rush. I’m keeping the items for you since you’ve given me your words that you’re interested and to be honest I don’t have the windshield thumb bolts ,I couldn’t find them. Since you’ve given me your words that you want it, I’ve no reason why I should sell them to someone else again and to be sincere I can’t find the  windshield thumb bolt but I can ask a friend of mine . 
Almost all bank can do Zelle maybe you should check if your bank has. You don’t have to worry, the items are safe. Once  I confirm your payment your brother can come over to pick them up and  I’ll be glad to show him the other part left if anyone is useful to you.

ME: That would be great if you could ask your friend about the thumb bolts.  If he does have them, please ask him if they are the early P.T. style or the later Barnum style that I need.  If Venmo doesn't come through today, I'll download Zelle.  
By the way, you said you're in Nevada.  Are you anywhere near area 51?  I'm a big UFO nerd.

JEFF:Ok .No,  I’m live close to the border (McDermitt). 

ME: No problem, I only ask because I know there are a lot of UFO sightings near Area 51 and if you were close, maybe you've seen some.  I've never seen one, but I've always wanted to.  Not sure you even believe in aliens, some people don't.  Do you believe in aliens?  Sorry, no word from Venmo yet.

JEFF: Yea a lot, I heard about aliens but never seen anyone. May I ask what bank you’ve? You can check your bank for Zelle.

ME: I'm pretty sure there are aliens out there.  I think it's arrogant to believe that we are the only ones out there.  I'm pretty sure I've seen a bigfoot when I was really young.
I used to bank at TCF, but now am at Westconsin Credit Union.  Not sure if credit unions use Zelle, but I can stop in there on my way home.  

JEFF: I think it’s has but have to be done on the bank app or online baking account.
You can check it out. If I ever come across any alien I’m definitely taking a pic of it.

ME: You probably have a better chance of seeing an alien than I do.  Not much UFO activity in Wisconsin, but lots in Nevada.  I'd be scared to tell anyone if I did see one.  I hear stories about people getting "disappeared" if they tell the wrong person. If you ever get a picture of one, I wouldn't post it anywhere.  You never know who to trust online.  I'll check into Zelle, I think I might have screwed up something with Venmo.  

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2022 at 10:34am
The latest, I think he's starting to crack... his replies are taking longer and longer.

JEFF: I promise I’ll share it with you if I ever got one.  A lot of people talk about alien here probably an alien invasion lol.  Any news yet Steve? I sent you a link earlier about the Zelle from your bank.

ME:I was hoping to get venmo to work since I already downloaded the app and setup my bank account for it, im kind of paranoid like that. I guess it goes with the whole UFO thing. I'm convinced there will be an alien invasion at some point.  I'm not worried though.  I have lots of guns. Im giving up on venmo. Il try Zelle tomorrow.
Sorry, I don't want you to think I'm some kind of crazy wacko. I don't I think there will be an alien invasion anytime soon, possibly someday, but not anytime soon. I actually think the aliens are already among us. I think it would be very easy for them to impersonate one of us right now. Especially with the technology that's out there.  (Probably alien tech) impersonating someone would be so easy.  I think Joe Biden could be an alien.  It would explain a lot.

JEFF: Good morning Steve, I hope we can get it everything done today.

ME: Nothing yet.  I have a crazy day at work today and may not be able to get to it until after work.  I'll let you know if I get to it sooner. Thanks for holding on to the parts for me. I really appreciate it. Us "believers" gotta stick together right. It's hard to find people that have the same beliefs as you and when you do find someone, it's nice to have someone to talk to about it.  I have a hard time meeting people who have the same beliefs as I do, especially since I'm a flat earther.  What are your thoughts on the flat earth theory?  If you don't know what I'm talking about, I could give you a call sometime and explain it.  It's fascinating when you realize how many people are trying to suppress the truth!

Edited by Scratch - 17 Feb. 2022 at 10:35am
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2022 at 1:29pm
Scratch - you are cracking me up!

I as hoping to see an answer to the PT early style or Barnum later style...

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2022 at 2:03pm
It is my understanding that the PT style was a reproduction of the OE style made somewhere in Ohio during the 60's and the Barnum style is another reproduction that was made in Wuhan, China and imported for sale by Omix-ADA with no guarantee that the threads are correct.

As a side note, PT was thought to stand for Pattern Toledo Company, but the origins of the name have been lost over the years since 1971. PT brand parts were carefully constructed to the exact OE specs by American workers in American owned plants near Toledo.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2022 at 12:23am
Here's an email from "Jeff" after that.  
I replied back with a doozy though... he hasn't responded since.

JEFF: Really I read about the the flat earth theory once, I would love you to explain more later. I’m a learner and I believe knowledge is power. Did you get the Zelle done yet? I sent a link earlier about how to get Zelle from your bank app or your internet banking , so much easier if you can look into it.

ME: Sure thing, I don't have a lot of time but I can tell you that the modern age of the Flat Earth Society dates back to the early 1800s, when it was founded by an English inventor Samuel Birley Rowbotham. His system, called Zetetic Astronomy, held that the earth is a flat disk centered at the North Pole and bounded along its 'southern' edge by a wall of ice, with the sun, moon, planets, and stars only a few hundred miles above the surface of the earth. The "International Flat Earth Society" was then formally founded in the 1950's by Samuel Shenton, who was a member of the Royal Geographic Society and the Royal Astronomical Society. The Flat Earth Society that I'm a proud member of, mans the guns against oppression of thought and the Globularist lies of a new age. We, the Flat Earth Society, are like the soldiers of truth and reason and have drawn the sword, and ere another generation has been educated and grown to maturity, will have forced the usurpers to abdicate. Like the decayed and crumbling trees of an ancient forest, rent and shattered by wind and storm, the hypothetical philosophies, which have hitherto cumbered the civilized world, are unable to resist the elements of experimental and logical criticism; and sooner or later must succumb to their assaults. The Flat Earth Society has dedicated itself to starting science afresh from the ground up, to begin to see the world without bias and assumption. Time and time again through test, trial, and experiments that I have personally completed, I have proven that the earth is not a whirling globe of popular credulity, but an extended plane of times immaterial. Standing with reason our society offers a home to those wayward thinkers that march bravely on with REASON and TRUTH in recognizing the TRUE shape of the Earth - Flat.  
Also, I'm planning on setting up Zelle when I get home tonight.

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2022 at 1:38pm
I was also sent a PM from this person offering Jeff's T-90 parts.  I can only assume it was in response to one of my posts from last year.  I replied saying that I had repaired my original and thanked them for reaching out.  Still, my "Spidy Senses" were tingling and I searched for the person here on the page.  I found little info - only that they had just joined and was female.  I suspected scam but didn't want to make any accusations.  So glad you guys picked up on it and followed through!  Scratch - LMAO!  Nice job!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2022 at 1:47pm
What i don't get is that we banned him almost immediately, so they knew we were on to him.

So why didn't he google himself or the email he registered with to see that we were on to him?
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2022 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

What i don't get is that we banned him almost immediately, so they knew we were on to him.

So why didn't he google himself or the email he registered with to see that we were on to him?

Nigerian princes aren't that smart Keith..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2022 at 3:56pm
No, but if this is the scratch I met at Jeeps in January, he's a genius!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2022 at 4:11pm
And... Darren Morrison is not a common name, only a few hits on google.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>