Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possible First Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible First Jeep
    Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 10:05pm
Hi, everyone this is the first time posting anything here. I am planning on buying my first cj is a few weeks. Its a 1948 cj2a and I've done some research and I feel pretty confident about what I will be looking at. The one big thing I'm worried about is if the body is even close to being orginal. The guy said he did semi restoration, about 10 year or so ago. The hood, windshield, and tailgate is all stamped Willys, I can't see from the pictures if the tool box is stamped "Jeep" but what I've seen online is you can get reproductions with that stamped in it, so how can you tell. The body is missing the roof bow storage brackets on the driver side, the rear brackets are not welded on from the looks of it and its missing the trailer wire hole, if the 48s still had those?

I hope the picture came though good enough first time posting but I'm mainly just asking for things to look for and if the stuff in the picture points to a repo tub or just weird restoration. Thank you everyone in advance.

I see now I posted this is the how to section and I dont know how to delete, sorry. 

Edited by ben1998 - 25 Aug. 2021 at 10:14pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2021 at 9:13am
More pictures would really help.  It looks like a nice Jeep from the picture.  

From the single photo posted I agree with - missing side bow pockets, trailer socket and non welded on bow supports.  It also has a 3A style horn button.  There is no governor T handle on the dash (I always assume if it has a rear PTO it would have had a governor under the hood and a T handle on the dash so the knock out would be missing in the hole by the steering wheel).  My guess is it has a replacement tub.  It has a lot of correct CJ2A stuff.  If it is a 1948, it has a early draw bar most 1948s have the updated draw bar for the Monroe lift with extra holds in the vertical section.  The side view mirror arm is a replacement - the original would have been a non adjustable arm. 

Again - It looks like a nice Jeep from the picture.  

Edited by Stev - 26 Aug. 2021 at 9:15am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
ben1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2021 at 9:45am
Heres the link since I get seem to get more pictures to post 

I am looking to get one as a project, so I can drive around and have fun and slowly fix up over time, I would like it to be orginal has possible but I understand 70+ years is a long time and things happen. I can always find the right stuff and put it back on it. I just would like it to be mostly all there.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2021 at 6:09pm
What troubles me is the frame tag being held in place with two screws. 

I see a non original heater, what looks to be supports for a metal top attached to the windshield, the hand starter mounted next to the battery, the welting has been replaced and riveted in, fan shroud doesn't look right, not sure if the horn is correct and a strange mount on the back of the driver seat. Hard for me to tell, are there some weld seams on the driver firewall?

Missing the bow pockets, the trailer socket and the bolt on mount makes me wonder if it is a replacement body or if the left side got re-skinned. 

Surprising to see that everything is painted the same color. Someone didn't do the usual job of painting over the gauge bezels or the steering column. Someone did spend some time putting her together. Price seems a bit high to me. 

Who gets rid of Grandpa's Jeep? 

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 01 Sep. 2021 at 7:01pm
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Ken J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2021 at 7:36pm
Looks like a fun project!!
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2021 at 4:27pm
Follow your gut. Most old, old, old vehicles have had some mods done that are not original. Main thing is for YOU to enjoy it.
Ken J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2021 at 5:16pm
Great advice 
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2021 at 7:17pm
Am I interpreting the ad correctly? It's been posted since July 2019?

I think if I was asking 16K for a Jeep I would wash it, and shoot the pictures in high enough resolution to be able to see if it's a replacement body. 
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2021 at 9:54pm
following on what some others have stated, i would be very cautious on this. there are people/places selling vehicles that just do not come off as being legit. this may be legit.

this ad goes back a couple years. why is it not sold? why is it dirty? and especially as micah put it “who sells grandpas jeep”? pretty much nobody. but who knows?

Edited by bight - 03 Sep. 2021 at 11:11pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2021 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

and especially as micah put it “who sells grandpas jeep”? pretty much nobody. 

Ask Stan..Wink
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
 Post Reply Post Reply