Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post your pics! Winch mounted behind bumper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post your pics! Winch mounted behind bumper
    Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 10:20pm
I looking for ideas to mount my Belleview (or your Warn or whatever you have) winch behind my bumper and would like to see how y'all did it. I want to have the fairlead bolted to the bumper, need some ideas

Edited by jeeper50 - 27 Dec. 2018 at 12:16am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

greenlakesgary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlakesgary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 10:51pm
Hey Everyone!
Please post those pics! I'm thinking that I want to possibly have my fairlead BELOW the bumper so the Belleview will not cover up the grill so much. is this possible???
Siskiwit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 11:00pm
Just a thought but maybe you can reverse the leads to the motor and have it spool from the bottom. It’s a dc motor that doesn’t care which way it goes, I don’t think the brushes will mind and the gears inside the winch are straight cut so no problem there either. if I’m wrong I’ll stand corrected.
'48 2a - '46 2a - '54 3b - '70 cj5 and a bunch of accessories.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 11:18pm
If you ever encounter any rocks, I suspect that below the bumper will take a beating.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 11:26pm
On my Commando the M6000 is mounted below the bumper. It was built very stout. I have biffed a few rocks with it. No damage, just a bit of rock dust.
uncamonkey
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2018 at 10:30pm
Old Ramsey RE8000. I didn't build the set up. Just transferred it from another jeep I had. 

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2018 at 1:19am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2018 at 1:22am
This is a plain old modern electric winch, but I tucked the solenoid box under the hood and modified a winch mounting plate from Harbor freight to mount to the bottom of the frame rails and cut a slot in the bumper for the fairlead.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JDJeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDJeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 11:48am
greenlakesgary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlakesgary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 7:14pm
JD,
Did you make that mount? If not were did you get it? I love it!!! Can you take a few more pictures? Thanks.

Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 9:58pm
RWILLYS (Space R)
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 10:09pm
Sorry about the picture size. Been a while since I’ve posted.
RWILLYS (Space R)
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 11:06pm

Pictured the day she was delivered. I have since taken the Belleview off and have not decide if she will go back on. (Upside-down as usual) 

Warn sent me a copy of the owner's manual. Too big to post. PM if you would like a copy.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 6:06am
 Great pics of your mounts, but I've been trying to use the 8" square tubing mount I had a friend cut out for me, but it looks like  I won't have enough material for the top bolt holes due to the tube radius on the bottom of the tube I left on, I cut the top flange off for a flatter winch mounting surface. So I bought a 8"x 16" 1/4" plate to mount my winch to.  I'm planning to weld it to the new piece of 4" channel bumper on the body side and gusset it on the front side near the upper winch bolts. The fairlead will bolted to the bumper. I took several pics of the whole mockup.

Or mount like this...

Planning on adding a 3"x 10" leg that with weld to channel and bolt to the frame on each side. 

Winch

Edited by jeeper50 - 01 Jan. 2019 at 6:14am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

JDJeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDJeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 10:42am
It’s a standard foot mount winch plate, the bolt pattern is the same as the front mount 8274. All I did was bolt it to the 2a bumper and start cutting away until the winch fit.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by JDJeeper JDJeeper wrote:

It’s a standard foot mount winch plate, the bolt pattern is the same as the front mount 8274. All I did was bolt it to the 2a bumper and start cutting away until the winch fit.

Be careful with that.  It looks like you cut away most of what makes that plate strong enough to mount an 8000 lb winch to it.  The bent up (or "bent back" in this orientation) lips are what give it most of it's strength.  You've cut most of the one lip out.  I'm not saying it isn't strong enough, but at least you've taken away most of its safety factor.  Keep an eye on it in use to see if it starts to flex.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 3:12am
I'm sure I posted these on here somewhere before.  My latest bumper edition on my 3B.  Mounts either the Belleview/Warn or 8274.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 4:27am
Duffer, it is good to see you back and thanks for the PM. I go out with friends on trails and we come across somebody with a problem so we gather at the top of the hill and I just let them go. I'm the only one with a PTO and I have the most line so I get to do the recovery despite the fact that they all have winches. Life is so tough...

uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>