Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Posting Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Posting Pictures
    Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 5:47am
Hello all. I have an early model, 1946 CJ-2A, that I'm contemplating selling. I'd much appreciate it if someone could please explain to me how to post pictures. I've tried using the info provided here to no avail. Thanx in advance.Mike.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 9:25am
PART 1 of 2

i have had success with a particular process. it is a two part operation, each part with multiple steps. what i am posting is using an iPhone and a Apple computer. i do not know how this would translate to non-Apple products (android, microsoft, PC, etc.)

1. take photo on iPhone. make sure you have the image oriented properly when you hold the iPhone vertically. if you took the photo horizontally, use the edit controls to turn the image so it orients top up when you look at the image on the phone with the phone held vertically.

2. select photo to send to yourself and select mailto button:

3. this screen will come up. select mail:

4. put in your email address and give the mail a subject (the image below shows my name not my email in the TO: line because i am in my own contacts):

5. select Medium. this is very important to keep file sizes low so others can quickly see your image. selecting bigger sizes bogs down slower service lines and adds more burden on the forum.

6. when you receive the email, save the photo to your computer wherever you prefer that you can find it. (basic save function)

PART 2 to follow...

Edited by bight - 01 Sep. 2021 at 10:34am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 9:49am
PART 2 of 2

1. get to where you want to post an image on the forum

2. select the insert image button (looks like a little tree):

3. find and choose the image you want to upload (basic search/locate function):

4. once you have located the image, click the upload button and BE PATIENT:

5. the image should appear in the Preview box. it may be a bit enlarged, but if you kept your file size down below 200K ish, it should be well sized. also see rocnroll's post below regarding file size width/height.

6. click the OK button in lower right portion of screen. on a Mac, it may be slightly cut off on bottom as you see in the image below:

7. click Post Reply:

8. and that should do it!

Edited by bight - 01 Sep. 2021 at 10:37am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 10:05am
Those are VERY good instructions!

If I may add one small thing that may help give options....in the example above, notice the size of the picture is 640 x 480. (probably will every time with an iPhone, not sure) but if it doesn't (and this is a very good aspect ratio) those numbers can be changed simply by typing them in.

If you want to post a smaller picture just type the numbers halved (320 x 240) and the pic posts smaller.

Thanks bight, that should help folks having a little trouble. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 10:32am
excellent addition rocnroll.

i never paid attention to that. that could be super helpful!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 10:55am
Not a big thing when posting as you instructed ( because they are sized right to start with) but if snagging a picture off the web to post, a lot of times they may be a weird size (1000 x 1200 or something) if its too big the file manager will say that the file is too big.....simply go to the old reliable 640x480 (or anything in that neighborhood) and it should post just fine.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 11:37am
pic size is key in my experience, good job above fellas
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 3:57pm
I have a pretty simple system:
1. I transfer the pictures from my phone straight to the computer. I then rename them so that I can find them again if I need to repost it. Plus, now I have a version on the computer and in the correct folder.
2. I upload the picture to the 2A site. 
3. Resize to 999 x 999. This is the max size you can post. 
4. Hit the OK button. 

Now, if I can just remember which way to hold the iPhone so they don't come out up side down.
Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

3. Resize to 999 x 999. This is the max size you can post. 

Everybody does it differently I guess but I can't think of a good reason to have that big a file?? Just curious.

Is it just for a bigger posted picture to, like, study details closer?

My tablet allows one to do the 'finger stretch thing' to enlarge a photo, I just assumed that that could be done with any equipment these days.....(I'm kinda behind on the tech)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 7:08pm
and 999x999 makes it difficult for us that have rural slowband internet connections.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

and 999x999 makes it difficult for us that have rural slowband internet connections.

Yes, that was one of the thoughts I was having but just didn't articulate it accurately.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 8:13pm
For you guys in the rural areas, I had no idea that was still an issue. I would guess the majority of the members are running somewhat high speed and would not have a problem with one or two large pictures.

I make them large so the detail comes through.  

Micah

EDIT: So, out of curiosity, how difficult is it for you guys with slow connections to load the larger pictures? Here is a picture heavy post that I recently did. 

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 14 Sep. 2021 at 12:30am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 10:54pm
Micah,

i did not have a problem loading what you posted. so i am not sure specifically what size bogs crappy service down. but i often have long wait times for large image loading and other strange issues such as hang ups when there are a lot of large images, even some i have looked at previously. but i do empty my cache’s fairly often.

i will look at your next post with images and let you know how it goes.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2021 at 3:12pm
i just attempted to look at some of the pics on the Fall Colors Tours 2021 thread and on my slow connection, much of it is stubborn to load. the pics submitted, when using a windows platform (right click>inspect) show as big. like 1334x750 and take very long to load, so i just skip over them.

they would look the same on my end, if as previously stated in this thread, these instruction were followed (either shrinking or going by rocnroll's suggestion above in thread) and this would improve the situation.

others have suggested using this:

and additional info here:
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/posting-pics-on-and-off-site_topic18918.html

and here:

Edited by bight - 03 Oct. 2021 at 3:16pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
 Post Reply Post Reply