Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power loss, in high RPM.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Welcome back, Dave!  Where ya been?

Thanks!  I've been busy with these 2 little ones!  The older one went for her first Jeep ride this week.  She seemed to think the sputtering sound and loss of power was normal.  But she's still learning :)

1949 CJ2A #219707
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:57am
Is she new since we met in '14?  I can see the other one is...  Wink  Did you ever get axle bump stops on your Jeep? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
RealDeal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Is she new since we met in '14?  I can see the other one is...  Wink  Did you ever get axle bump stops on your Jeep? 

Wow!  You have a great memory!  Yeah I did finally get the axle bump stops on my Jeep.  And yes, both babies are new.  2.5 years old and .3 years old. :)
1949 CJ2A #219707
NormanSalido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 1:20am
sorry guys I was out of town really busy, but now I'm back on my rig!

ok so, got a new condenser, it didn't even start so went back to the old one lol.

took your advise on the filter and it's the same thing with or without.

got a new distributor rotor but it's not the correct one so I will have to order another one.

i noticed that one of the bolts on the exhaust was a little loose so I hoped it was that, but apparently not 😓, so o was thinking could the new exhaust broad up this issue because in the past the jeep was straight piped and had corrosion everywhere so I'm thinking that the new exhaust is popping the valves because of more pressure, not that is a bad thing I'm just trying to figure it out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 1:21am
I will be trying to get this done tomorrow.

hopefully I can make it to the shop in time and get to work on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:39pm
ok guys finally today I hag time to take the valve cover off and clearances are good checks every single valve, and adjusted 3 of them.tgey were off by one digit now they are all at .016.

did a compression test and I'm at 

1 60
2 60 
3 62 
4 20 

so what's the next step??

I'm lost at this point.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:56pm
ok guys finally today I hag time to take the valve cover off and clearances are good checks every single valve, and adjusted 3 of them.tgey were off by one digit now they are all at .016.

1 60
2 60 
3 62 
4 20 

I'm lost at this point.

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by NormanSalido NormanSalido wrote:

1 60
2 60 
3 62 
4 20 

I'm lost at this point.

Those numbers don't sound too good!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 12:27am
what's next? crack it open and hope for the best?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:17am
Im assuming those are dry numbers... did you squirt a little oil down each plug hole and repeat the test wet?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:24am
 yes that was dry, I was reading about doing it with a splash of oil I'll do that tomorrow and see how it goes :). now I feel with a little more hope !!!! lol
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:42am
You also want to test a warm engine.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:46am
ok, any other test that I should run before assuming that the rings are bad?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:47am
ok here's THE QUESTION!!!
IF IT'S THE RINGS SHOULD I ONLY DO THE RING AND HONNING THE CILYNDERS? or what would be the next step?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 2:13am
Just checking... doing compression test with throttle wide open?

The first step is to fully diagnose what you have before worrying about what to do about it.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 2:43am
negative, compression test at idle or at least not hitting the gas!
is the  engine supposed to start at all or why with throttle open?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 3:04am
wait, what?  Pull the wire from the coil off the dizzy... definitely a non start test.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 3:43am
hahahahahaha, ok, makes sense!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>