Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power-Lok limited slip in Dana 25

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2018 at 8:23pm
OH I know Bob since I am sticking with the 134L as a power plant the D-25 will be plenty for what I want to do. But I also would like a selectable locker so I'm going to have to look else where.

I wonder if the local Shop I had build my Dana 44 could just put a Dana 44 center section into my D-25???
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2018 at 10:55pm
Interesting idea. I’d like 44’s on both ends. Probably just need to have axles made. 
pruitg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pruitg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 7:06pm
Thanks for this article, it is very helpful.  I have a question about the thickness of the spacer.  You say it is about 5/16" and then measure it at 0.156".  I need to make one for my Wagon and 5/16 is 0.312, so should I use the .156?
thanks
'
pruit
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 1:00am
Yeah, go with the micrometer measurement. The 5/16" is just a guess. Apparently a fairly poor guess! And even at the thinner measurement, I still had to smooth it down some 'cause is was wee bit too thick.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
pruitg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pruitg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 1:18am
I think you may have meant 5/32, which is .156.
Thanks for the article.
pruit
swampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 3:32pm
Did you buy the ones they sell for 150 that are admittedly rusted or the 200$ that are cleaner ?
CJ2A 1948
YJ sbc fi 37 pit bulls 1987
Jt Rubi 2020
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2019 at 3:28am
Thanks! I edited the original post, because there was no way that thing was better than a 1/4".
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2019 at 4:20am
Bob
Have you ran this yet? If so what do you think?
Thanks
Jay

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2019 at 12:16am
Directional control with any front locker is much worse than when open. I had factory elockers on my Landcruiser and almost never used the front locker due to poor steering. I have a locker on the REAR of my 2A - D41 axle.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2019 at 2:45am
Yes, I have been running it occasionally through the winter. I have been leaving the front end locked in to try and get a little "break-in" and I think it steers a bit easier than at first. Driving around the field, it does seem to keep both front tires moving well and functions more like a locker than limited slip. Steering is still fairly stiff. I drove it to town this afternoon and unlocked the hubs for that trip. Tonight I pulled it in the garage to swap in a new transfer case with 3.15 gears. I left the interlock pill out of the "new" x-case. I want to try and be cool like Stan and shift into 2WD for tight turns.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2019 at 3:00am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

. . .  I left the interlock pill out of the "new" x-case. I want to try and be cool like Stan and shift into 2WD for tight turns.

You won't regret it  Smile . .  Wilson has spent probably 50% of it's life in low rear 2wd.  
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 12:13pm
Would you have to be running hub lock outs in order to run a powr-loc in the front in order to not have issues driving on the street?  Or is there no ill as long as your are not running it in 4WD?
Posted this in a related post as well

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 1:00pm
Yes lock outs are a must have.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 1:55pm
Have a front locker and dread switchbacks. How much trouble is it to remove the interlock pill?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 2:31pm
You should be able todo in the jeep. Need to pull the front out housing.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

Have a front locker and dread switchbacks. How much trouble is it to remove the interlock pill?

You have to remove the front bearing housing to remove the "pill". They say it is about a 2.5-3 hour job. I haven't done mine yet but it's going to happen when I replace my transfer case this summer with a "Super D18" with the Terraflex gears.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 3:33pm
I've been running Powr Lok both at front and rear in over a half dozen Jeeps since 1983.
Really no need to install freewheeling hubs unless you want to eliminate some of the front axle wear and tear or try to slightly increase fuel efficiency.
Front Powr Lok is not going to have any front axle influences until the front propeller shaft is engaged at the TC.

However there always is a mild binding sensation even with the front axle dis-engaged and at full steer due to the acute angle of the axle joints.
Actually its a combination effect of the acute angle along with the control of shaft end float that creates the bind sensation.

Edited by oldtime - 03 Apr. 2019 at 3:35pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I've been running Powr Lok both at front and rear in over a half dozen Jeeps since 1983.
Really no need to install freewheeling hubs unless you want to eliminate some of the front axle wear and tear or try to slightly increase fuel efficiency.
Front Powr Lok is not going to have any front axle influences until the front propeller shaft is engaged at the TC.
However there always is a mild binding sensation even with the front axle dis-engaged and at full steer due to the acute angle of the axle joints

I found this to be the polar opposite! I could not steer on dry ground with front hubs locked in 2 or 4 wheel drive. I removed mine and installed a lock right.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>