Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power-Lok limited slip in Dana 25

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 3:38pm
O.K but that makes no sense to me if the Powr Lok was correctly set up.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 3:39pm
I have a Powerloc in my 1946 with a Dana 25.  I do not need take it out of 4 wheel drive to turn ever.
It is set up with three friction surfaces per the instructions.  (beginning to love posting pictures sideways!)
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 10:08pm
Contacted Herm just to see if he'd sell a spacer ala carte from the kit.  He said no.  I can understand as he probably can make more piecing together and selling the kit as a whole.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 10:23pm
This Fall I noticed severely squirrelly steering in 2 WD at moderate speed on gravel with the hubs still locked. Worked fine when I unlocked the hubs. The front locker seemed to me to have a negative impact until I unlocked the hubs. Overall, the traction improvement is very noticeable and the negative impact is not bad under normal off-roading. It would take me forever to get down any severe switchbacks (Black Bear is out). Really like the idea of 2WD in low range.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2019 at 3:14am
I've only actually driven this thing probably a dozen times since adding the Powerlok, but it does turn easier with the hubs unlocked even in 2WD. That doesn't make sense, I know. With the front drive shaft NOT turning under power, the steering should be the same whether the hubs are locked or not, but takes more effort and the turning radius is slightly less. Both negatives are much more noticeable in 4WD.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2019 at 6:12am
DO you know the Timken number for the cups. Thanks jim
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

I've only actually driven this thing probably a dozen times since adding the Powerlok, but it does turn easier with the hubs unlocked even in 2WD. That doesn't make sense, I know. With the front drive shaft NOT turning under power, the steering should be the same whether the hubs are locked or not, but takes more effort and the turning radius is slightly less. Both negatives are much more noticeable in 4WD.

That behavior is quite normal with a posi. Think about it - when the hubs are locked, the L and R wheels are connected - trying to turn the same speed. In a corner the L and R want to turn at different speeds - fighting the friction of the posi. The effect is amplified under power. So what you're experiencing lock vs. unlock is not unusual regardless of the t-case position. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2019 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by outlw21 outlw21 wrote:

DO you know the Timken number for the cups. Thanks jim

and bearings.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2019 at 3:28pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

pruitg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pruitg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2019 at 3:41pm
I believe to install the D27 Powr Lok in the D25 you use the cones for a 27 and the cups for a 25.  The cones fit the 27 carrier OD and the cups fit in the ID of differential clamps.
Check it first though.
pruit
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 2:07am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

That behavior is quite normal with a posi. Think about it - when the hubs are locked, the L and R wheels are connected - trying to turn the same speed. In a corner the L and R want to turn at different speeds - fighting the friction of the posi. The effect is amplified under power. So what you're experiencing lock vs. unlock is not unusual regardless of the t-case position. 

nofender has it right.  Clutch-type limited slips (like Powerlock) are always trying to keep the two sides turning the same speed.  With the hubs locked you will be fighting that whether the transfer case is in 4WD or not and whether you are moving or not.

This is not the case with automatic lockers, including lunchbox lockers like LockRight.  They unlock to allow the two sides to turn different speeds.

It's also not true of TrueTrac gear-type limited slips (not that those are available for Dana 25s...).  They allow free differentiating.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 2:49am
Bob,

Did you put the limited slip friction modifier in  to the Dana 25?  I am running it in my front and rear Powerlocs in our 1946.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 2:57am
Stev,
I did put the friction modifier in the axle.

outlw21,
The cones were LM501349. I included a picture of them earlier in the write up. I ended up using the cups that came in Herm's kit.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 3:01am
Spent some time driving around the field today. I put a "new" transfer case with lower gears in it. I was really impressed with how well the limited slip worked today. I easily crawled up my little test hills. It's still a pain to turn, but I can always unlock the hubs (although it's a little harder to unlock them now - sort of regret using cool retro knurled hubs)

Edited by bobevans - 08 Apr. 2019 at 12:52am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 11:41am
Thanks for the bearing number information. I also bought a couple of the surplus power locks from QTM and am going to make my own spacers. Going to use NAS6606 bolts for the ring gear.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2019 at 11:54am
Have fun with it. I have one in the rear of my 3B. I keep up with the big boys that are running E-lockers. I don't like driving it on snow pack or ice. It's interesting, perhaps even fun if you like driving sideways down a street.
uncamonkey
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 5:55pm
I know this is an old thread but, I’m wondering if your powr lok has loosened up any. I rebuilt one for my Dana 27 and this thing don’t turn for crap. Hubs locked and in 2 or 4 it’s got the turning radius of a dump truck. A big dump truck. Really disappointed so far. 
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 6:04pm
Mine was the same way. One run over the rubicon and out it came!!
Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>