Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-ignition, pinging, fuel grade? timing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipinkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 5:46am
I've been running 87 octane, regular California gas.
slipinkramer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipinkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 9:56pm
Okay,

The weather is getting hot again so I took the Willys out to get fully warmed up and make some uphill runs.  There is still some pinging (pre-ignition) when the engine is hot and under load in 2nd and 3rd gear.  It only pings under heavy load at, or near, full throttle.

Installing the correct spark plugs last week has reduced the pinging somewhat but it is still what I would consider serious and potentially damaging pre-ignition, at times.

I found that pulling the cable to close the choke butterfly about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way will do 2 things:

1) Totally stop all pinging.
2) Add a noticeable amount of power.

This tells me that at Wide Open Throttle my Go Devil is running significantly lean.  I have a Carter Carburator and so I'll assume that, (since I've verified that the float bowl fuel level is adequate while the engine is under load) the High Speed Circuit Metering Rod is out of adjustment or the Main Jet is too small.  I'd bet its the first assumption.

I have a Willys Mechanics Manual and it says more than a few words about adjusting the metering rod.  It discusses using a special Carter Carburetor Co. notched gauge to help set up the rod and the spring.  The adjustment of the accelerator pump also seems to play a roll in the metering rod adjustment  :O

Anyone here been through this setup before?  Anyone have some helpful advice to add?  I've rebuilt lots of carbs but this level of fine and fussy adjustment will push me to the limits of my mechanical ability.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 4:22am
Scout Pilot is the man!  Here’s how to get hold of him and some of his you tube videos.  He has lots of other videos but these will get you started.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
slipinkramer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipinkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 4:40pm
Holy cow!

That is all the Carter carburetor info I'll need.

Thanks Rick G
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 4:49pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12