Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Preparing for Winter Storage in a Heated Garage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preparing for Winter Storage in a Heated Garage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preparing for Winter Storage in a Heated Garage
    Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 10:05am
Not sure if I'm over-thinking or under-thinking this. It's my first New England winter with a flatty.

I see lots of posts about storing in an unheated garage for the winter, but my 3A will be stored in a heated garage this winter. 

I'll drop it off in a couple of weeks and keep it in there until April, when she'll be back in my driveway. So, 4-5 months of storage.

It's one of those garages for antique cars, so I even have the option of a battery tender.

How do I give myself the best chances of it starting up and running well in April?
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 11:25am
Can you access the vehicle on a regular basis to start it?
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 11:40am
Store with non ethanol gas in it or completely drain the tank and the carburetor.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 11:54am
It will be interesting to see the different answers you get to this question.

This is the process I have used:
  • Add Sta-ble Blue to the Gas always - (if you are a believer in such things).
  • Get the engine to running temp.  Shut off the fuel line going into the carb (I have a needle valve installed on my 1948) and Run the carbonator dry.
  • Raise vehicle on Jack stands.
  • Disconnect the battery cables, Hook up battery tender.
  • Cover the vehicle.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

It will be interesting to see the different answers you get to this question.

This is the process I have used:
  • Add Sta-ble Blue to the Gas always - (if you are a believer in such things).
  • Get the engine to running temp.  Shut off the fuel line going into the carb (I have a needle valve installed on my 1948) and Run the carbonator dry.
  • Raise vehicle on Jack stands.
  • Disconnect the battery cables, Hook up battery tender.
  • Cover the vehicle.

This is pretty much spot on.  The only thing I'd also add is to check your coolant concentration just incase something happens and that heated garage become unheated due to a poweroutage or something similar. 
jeffclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by 19Cargo42 19Cargo42 wrote:

Can you access the vehicle on a regular basis to start it?

Yeah, I have access to it anytime I want.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:26pm
According to you tubes “Project Farm” the stabilizer does not stop corrosion from ethanol fuels.
Granted he was not specifically testing the “Stabil” brand.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:36pm
I always thought Winter was when you need a Jeep the most Wink

I am lucky that around here, because of all the boating, most stations have non ethanol gas, and that is all I use in my Jeeps and farm equipment.

I use my Jeeps during the winter, but a lot of my other equipment won't be needed again until Spring.

My barn is not heated, but we don't get much extreme cold weather in the "Sunny South", so that is not as much of a concern. For winter storage I add Sea Foam to the gas tanks, run the carburetors dry and hook up solar battery tenders. I also test the antifreeze in the radiators. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2021 at 9:45pm
Put non ethanol fuel in it and park it with a smart battery tender on it. start it a few times or not, it will be happy as can be. Heated shops are the bomb! If I was going to store it for a year or more I'd put it up on stands and a few other things. 

Edited by windyhill - 27 Oct. 2021 at 9:48pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by windyhill windyhill wrote:

Put non ethanol fuel in it and park it with a smart battery tender on it. start it a few times or not, it will be happy as can be. Heated shops are the bomb! If I was going to store it for a year or more I'd put it up on stands and a few other things. 

Dont wanna jack this thread, but I may or may not have an upcoming deployment and I'd like to know what else youd recommended for long term storage. It's in an un heated garage, but still indoors
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2021 at 4:44pm
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/mouse-wars_topic48203_post505185.html?KW=irish+spring#505185

i am still having success with the irish spring. but it must be in a container with holes to keep the mice, like Barry S' from feasting.

if you are deploying, it is doubtful you could properly monitor the gopher gun. also it may be difficult to acquire said artillery. and you may need special ATF permit?

i would take the battery out altogether, put in a basement or somewhere safe and above freezing, and keep it on a battery tender. battery tender brand has very good reputation and i have used two of them for a long time. there are lower cost ones readily available at walmart/home depot/lowes/amazon, etc.

and drive it dry or drain, run non-ethanol gas through until it runs dry and call it good. if you do not have non-ethanol gas at a pump near you it can be had in cans (very expensive) at hardware, walmart, home, chainsaw, stores. 

there are those here that have their qualified input, but i'd try to get all of the fuel out of the system if at all possible.

if easy to do, jack up and put on stable wood blocks/cribbing to keep tires just off the ground for extended storage/long deployment time.

Edited by bight - 30 Oct. 2021 at 5:02pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2021 at 9:06pm
Long term storage, Mice / rodents s are my worst issue, lots of traps, Decon etc. Never had any luck with Irish spray or moth balls.  I'd clean the Jeep well, make sure your tank is full of ethanol free fuel, put it up on  stands, and cover it and pull the battery.  Spray down any bare metal with a light spray of oil.  
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2021 at 9:25pm
Talking like 9 months, might be able to get some one to drive it here or there, but I wanna be prepared for worst case
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
 Post Reply Post Reply