Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project "Bam Bam"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project "Bam Bam"
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 2:28pm
Hi All,

I have finally started working on the MB I picked up from F Bill about 2+ years ago:

The jeeps name is "Bam Bam"

He has been hiding back behind my barn:

I used oven cleaner to get all the grease and dirt off the frame:

I would have posted sooner, but I keep changing my mind on what the goal is ...... so for now, the goal is to repair the frame correctly as possible, and get it on the road ASAP.  Part of the reason I decided to restore this MB is because it is so far gone, that I can justify to myself using parts that may not be completely correct just to get it on the road.  Once I get him in action, I plan (.....today .....) to collect correct parts and retrofit them out to bring the jeep as close to correct as possible so my plan is to make this a "rolling restoration". 

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 3:31pm
Frame horns:

"Bam Bam" has some custom frame horns that I think I want to change

I took a picture of a frame horn that I have, inserted it into CAD and came up with these dimensions for a blank:

The material is 12 gauge.

Then I made a rather ugly die but it was quick. (bout 2 hours)

That is a 50 ton press.  I think it could be done with a 20 ton.

Since this is an MB, I cut the angle in the front.  They are not perfect but I'm satisfied.  i have a set of gussets to weld on so that will be next.  I'm going to try to save the original grille mounts if possible.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:20pm
You never cease to amaze me Jeff.....excellent. Clap

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:39pm
jeff
great work. you have alot of great toy in that shop.ClapThumbs Up
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 7:34pm
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the kind words.

Last time I did this I welded the gussets, shackle brackets, and installed the rivets before welding the frame horns to the frame because it was easier to do it on the bench but then when I went to install the frame horn assemblies, I had problems getting everything to line up  once the bumper was attached so this time I am going to just bolt everything together and make sure everything lines up before I do any welding.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 9:20pm
WOW! Great job!
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 9:27pm
Ditto what Roc said Jeff!  Simply outstanding!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:28pm
I am glad I sold ya such a beat up jeep......cause seeing you fix it is gonna be an education for all of us. I never in a million years would have thought about pressing out front frame horns.  BTW there is a pair of headlights and brackets in Stephentown with your name on them...

Did you use heavier than stock frame rail material or the stock thickness, Jeff?? 
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:23am
WinkHey Ricco.  Glad yer back!  You will have to tell us about it.

Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

I am glad I sold ya such a beat up jeep....
 Me to man.  That is kinda why I decided to fix it up.  Kinda sentimental.  
Quote ........cause seeing you fix it is gonna be an education for all of us...
 Yup we are going to do a lot of research and the project has already taught me some stuff cause I am going to use "the little engine that could" in this project:
ANOTHER CRACKED BLOCK
Quote .... I never in a million years would have thought about pressing out front frame horns. ...
I have found from making window frames that sheet metal will stretch and shrink very well as long as you control where it spreads and don't leave a big gap for it to start wrinkling....
Quote ...BTW there is a pair of headlights and brackets in Stephentown with your name on them...
Awesome! thx.  You can bring them to me at the reunion. WinkBig smile
Quote .....Did you use heavier than stock frame rail material or the stock thickness, Jeff?? 
Ya know, I considered going heavier but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  That is what I meant when I said earlier that I keep changing my mind.  I know it would be smart to beef up the frame or even use a 3A frame, but I just can't make myself do it.  I know it would just bug me later on down the line so I decided to restore the original frame the best that I can.  The original material is 12 gauge:

That is what I am using.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some pictures of the body:

Not in the best shape.  I definitely want to restore this tub but I also don't want to have Bam Bam sitting in pieces in my barn for the next five years .... ay Night0wl WinkWink 

..... so I bought a FULL body kit when I was at Bensinger's last month:

Tub, hood, fenders, grille, windshield, top bows.  I'm going to use this kit to speed up the project, and then restore the original body at my leisure...... I know...... kinda stupidConfused ... but .... I can always use this body kit on another jeep later.  When I have time, I will do a full write-up on the body kit.

I've also purchased a set of NDTS from Coker:

.... and it seems like every time I visit a page member on the road, they give me a combat wheel so thanks!

Edited by jpet - 12 May 2012 at 1:24am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 3:15am
Looks like underneath all that welding there is an original frame horn:

.... and it looks like it also has a 7" radius like the CJ2A frame horn that I have.  Not only that, the next radius back also appears to be 7" so that means I can use the fixture that I made to form a replacement piece to go in the area of the cross member.  Knowing this, I think I will do so and butt weld the two pieces together.  Bam Bam's frame is pretty thin in the cross member area.

I don't claim that this drawing is "correct" but that it is the composite of 3 frame horns that I have analyzed from Bam Bam, Gen'l Willys (which has an MB frame), and a CJ2A frame horn that I bought off eBay.  The hole shown on the right side of the drawing would be in the center of the cross member.  If you are making a CJ2A frame horn, you would omit the angle cut.

If anyone wants to make their own frame horns, here are some full size drawings you can print out, cut out, and use for a template.

If you have access to an 11x17 printer:  Frame horn B Size

Here are a couple you can print out on an 8-1/2 x 11 printer, and tape them together to make a template:
Frame horn A Size 2

I realize that most are not going to make a fixture like i did, but you can still cut out the sides and flanges as three separate pieces, bend the flanges and weld them to the side plates.  Perhaps weld them on the inside and outside and then grind the welds down to a radius.

FYI, you can buy replacement frame horns from Walcks, Bensinger, and all the regular vendors but they are made out of 11 gauge steel or perhaps 1/8" steel.  They will work but they are thicker than stock CJ2A.  They are correct for CJ3A.  Ron Fitzpatrick has correct ones made from 12 gauge but they are $150. each.

Edit: the frame horn is 2-3/4" outside width starting at the front and continues to be that width till it gets to the crossmember. After that it gets wider

Edited by jpet - 23 May 2012 at 3:40am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 1:22pm
The cancer was farther back in the frame than I realized:

.... so I made another patch piece using the fixture i made for the frame horns:

I don't have any pictures but I angle cut the edges of my new frame horns and this patch piece so that the weld would not be perpendicular to the frame tubing for added strength.

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 1:54pm
As usual, great work, Jeff! Clap  I think you will be the source of frame repair parts after this project.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:31am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Not in the best shape.  I definitely want to restore this tub but I also don't want to have Bam Bam sitting in pieces in my barn for the next five years .... ay Night0wl

Jeff I really don't know what you mean.
Besides, quality cannot be rushed
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:58pm
Here is some shock mount data:

Don't know if anyone would need to make these but just in case.  I made them from rectangular tubing.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 1:48pm
Nice work Jeff! I was all excited thinking He's going to build the tool indent form side panel--------then I saw you bought a tub kit Cry My M38 needs a right side. Oh well.  You also have entered a history trap. The information associated with a WW2 Jeep is stunning and a trip that will catch you by surprise. The generation of people who created the WW2 Jeep was a very special group of do-it-yourselfers.  The Germans considered it a American masterpiece. When I built my '45 MB, I learned more about WW2 than any other class or schooling.  My Jeep means much more to me than just another 4 wheel drive.  BAM BAM!LOL Names are fun. I name mine also: Scruffy, Toughy, Ellsworth, Or, Herm, Wiggins,Al, Blue, Red, I have a bunch of friends. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 2:20pm
John,

Stay tuned. I wil be doing the hammer forms and making my own panels. It is very important to me to restore this vehicle and use as much original metal as possible but I am also an impatient person. I want to take Bam Bam to Colorado this fall. No way I can get all this done by fall unless I take some short cuts. I will use the reproduction body temporarily until I can restore the original. Then I'll use the new body kit on another jeep. I will be making a lot of parts on this project and produce a lot of drawings.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 7:03pm
Save the body for future one----------what a great reason to get another. I could easily make that jump in reasoning. Let's see , will it be called Fred, Barney or Wilma?LOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 3:41am
Here is an update drawing of the frame horn:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>