Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prospector ‘46 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prospector ‘46 CJ2A
    Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 12:25am

I am now the proud owner a new to me 1946 CJ2A. The hauler just dropped it off a few days ago and I’m as giddy as a little kid on Christmas. I have been wanting to get back into a Jeep since I sold my CJ5 over 16 years ago, and now I think I have a good starting point. I have been browsing the classifieds on and off for a while and had a general idea of what I was looking for based on my limited mechanical knowledge and intended use. First off, I live in rural TX where all the FM roads and highways are 55-70mph, so I needed one with a V6 so I wouldn’t get run over by all of the ranchers hauling hay and cows with their 1-tons. It will primarily be used on the weekends for running around town with only the occasional off road adventure. Although I’d love to be able to play nicely with some of you big boys one day. I also wanted a full roll cage already installed due to my complete lack of fabrication skills. A pasture project was a no go at this time and I definitely didn’t want a show queen or new restoration either, but some modifications would be appreciated. I could care less about looks. 

Enter Prospector. I bought it off a gentleman who built it 5+ years ago for he and his wife to go gold prospecting, but they both encountered health issues before they ever got a chance to use it and decided to sell. This guy did most of the work himself and everything appears to be well thought out and of high quality. 

The good:

4.3L TBI

SM465

D18 with Saturn overdrive

D30 front with disc brakes, D44 rear 5.38 gears(not sure about lockers)

Fully boxed and powder coated frame

6 point roll cage mount to frame

4 point seat belt harness

26 gallon fuel tank

Water tight center console housing TBI electronics 

Almost everything has been powder coated

The bad:

The entire body has been coated with spray on bedliner, inside, outside, up, down and sideways

I know I said I didn’t care about looks, but the bedliner is about the worst possible scenario. I think it’s why he had difficulty selling it. Hey, at least I don’t have to worry about scratching the paint. It does need a few minor things before it will pass inspection and I can already see a few areas of need to make it more road worthy, but I’m gonna drive it like it is and slowly fix it and change things whenever. I’m going to try and do most of the work myself and learn along the way. I’ll probably ask all kinds of beginner questions to pick from y’alls expertise, and I hope to be able to join ya on some trails one day. 

Anyway, thanks for looking. Here are a few basic pics. I know everyone loves pictures. I’ll post more as I get into it to show some of the fine work the PO did. 

Jonathan

Edited by caelo4 - 11 Apr. 2022 at 1:36pm
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 1:28am
Welcome back! That's a great parts list and good build. Bedliner ? Meh to each their own. Run it!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 2:50am
Welcome to the page, caelo4!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 2:52am
Great looking Jeep! And welcome to the forum!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 3:57am
Great jeep
Good drivetrainClap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 5:02am
'Prospector' - Dodge pickup emblem if memory serves.
Nice, capable looking rig.  Congrats!
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 10:54am
cool rig. cage looks well done. Congrats!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 1:25pm
Thank goodness they were all out of the BIG tube bumpers LOL

All kidding aside, looks like an awesome place to start Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 11:33pm
I got a chance to work on some small stuff this weekend so hopefully it will pass inspection next week. I added side mirrors, not stock, but not much is on this Willys anymore. I also installed period correct manual dual control windshield wipers and then a license plate light to be compliant with the law. 

Edited by caelo4 - 07 Sep. 2019 at 6:52pm
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 11:47pm
There is just something "macho" about driving a 1-ton with stock trailer in tow.
My father and I had just completed a 3-day jeep run on the Dusy-Ershim trail up out of and east of Freson which begins a Courtwright Reservoir and terminates at Kaiser Pass in the Sierra's here in California.
   We no sooner pulled out onto the winding mountain road, and a Packer began doing his 'pushing-thing' stuffing his business up against my rear-view mirror.
I don't know what these men are trying to prove, and they probably don't even hold a valid Class A license to know that courteous and safe driving is to not TAILGATE.    

I like the idea of an EFI 4.3L engine with the Granny-box 465.

Gearing makes a different in comfort and enjoyment.

Have fun !

Len
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2019 at 6:43pm
I know this isn’t going to be a favorite amongst the purists around here, but I was looking for a headlight upgrade and improved visability with other motorists. I like the new generation of daytime running lights on current vehicles so I tried some 7” LEDs for modern wranglers and they fit perfect. Plus, they are bright as s**t at night and DOT legal. They look better in person compared to the pic. I also got a chance to drive it on the highway yesterday for the first time and it cruised along comfortably at 65mph with the V6 and overdrive, except for the soft top which I need to set up with some more snaps to secure it better. It also passed inspection, but I couldn’t get it registered because the PO didn’t have his wife sign the title, only him, so it will be another week. Oh well. 

Edited by caelo4 - 07 Sep. 2019 at 6:51pm
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2019 at 2:20am
I got to teach my 14 year old son to drive a manual transmission earlier today. He started out in granny-low and then worked his way up until he could begin in 2nd and then even shift into 3rd. We are lucky enough to have a few acres of cow pasture as well as a .4 mile private drive to practice on. The best part was when he said, “I’ll always be able to tell people I learned how to drive stick in a Willys.”  I was one proud papa.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2019 at 4:51am
FYI.  In Texas, you can get a antique auto tag and it doesn’t have to be inspected, plus the registration is good for 5 years (or a proration of their 5 yr cycle).
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2019 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

FYI.  In Texas, you can get a antique auto tag and it doesn’t have to be inspected, plus the registration is good for 5 years (or a proration of their 5 yr cycle).

It’s not the inspection that was the issue, just some complications with the title. I had to send it back to the PO to have his wife sign it as well. No big deal, just a delay. In the meantime I’ve still been driving it around the trails on the property and even down the CRs for a short ways. 

BTW I hope to see you and Gus on the trails some day!

Edited by caelo4 - 08 Sep. 2019 at 6:14am
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2019 at 3:44pm
Very cool Jeep. Sounds like the previous owner did a nice job of selecting the right stuff to make a very useable and safe vehicle. It looks like the body is really nice other than the bed liner. I agree with you though, and would just run it. My son also learned to drive a stick in our Willy's. To me, that alone was worth the effort of putting ours together. I work as an automotive engineer and I'm shocked how many young engineers haven't learned to drive a stick. To me, it's a big advantage. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2019 at 4:58pm
Awesome that your son can say he learned to drive stick in a Willys!
Very cool Clap
The mirrors you added look great,where did you find them?

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

The mirrors you added look great,where did you find them?

They are made for a newer model Wrangler, made by Rugged Ridge and available on Amazon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2019 at 4:41am
Awesome thanks!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>