Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prospector ‘46 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2019 at 5:34pm
I finally received the title back with all the proper signatures and was able to register the Willys. I’ve had a few chances to drive some short distances on the 2 lane highway that runs close by and I’m pleased with how it handles. Currently, I feel comfortable around 60mph, but I did have it up to 65 and it didn’t feel unsafe. I’ll get more accustomed to it in time. I did instal some drink holders, it’s all about the little things. 

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2019 at 4:19am
What could have possessed the P.O. to slather this jeep in bedliner? Aarrgh.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2019 at 6:52am
It looks like a winner to me.
Welcome aboard.

What part of NE Texas?
I'm in Ft Worth, my wife is from Paris.
1946 CJ2A 14098
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2019 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

I agree with you 100%. It was the the one part that had me on the fence when buying. Plus, the sheet metal all seems to be in decent shape. I’ve debated whether to try and remove it from the outside, and I may someday, but for now I’m just gonna leave it be and maybe even give it a rattle can paint job. 

Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

What part of NE Texas?
I'm in Ft Worth, my wife is from Paris.

I live around Winnsboro, about an hour from Paris and probably 2 hours from Ft Worth. 

Edited by caelo4 - 15 Sep. 2019 at 8:24pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2019 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

You live in Michigan.  RUST is the reason.  I hate rust, so I can definitely understand it.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2019 at 10:18pm
The PO used a wide track Dana 30 front, 56 inches, and a narrow track 44 read, 50.5 inches. It wasn’t obvious, but definitely noticeable if you looked. From all my research there has never been a Dana 44 rear wide track with the off set differential for the D18 transfer case, unless I had one custom made. I wanted to at least make the difference between the two less noticeable and the 33s rubbed a little when flexed so I ordered some Spidertrax 1.25” spacers for the rear. 

Before:

I torqued everything to installation specs with included thread locker, so hopefully I don’t have any issues. Spidertrax was recommended as the best spacers on the market. 

After:

The change is very subtle, but the variances between the front and rear looks closer, it’s only 1.5 inches now. 
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2019 at 10:54pm
That does look better.
I think living with the bedliner will be way easier than removing it.
I can't quite place Winnsboro, but I may have passed through at some point.
1946 CJ2A 14098
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2019 at 2:42am
Here are a few pics driving around our property. There are more trails, but they were made for a SxS, so the Willys doesn’t fit yet, I need to cut down a few extra trees. The rear end has some pretty decent flex, and still rubs the tub on few spots. You’ll probably notice a theme with most of the pics, her name is Tuna. 

Edited by caelo4 - 22 Sep. 2019 at 2:51am
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2019 at 1:23am
The Simpson 4 point harness was a nice safety feature, but not very practical for around town use. Plus, my wife hated it, so I swapped it out with a 3 point retractable safety belt mounted in the same great locations provided by the PO. I also got the front license plate installed for legality purposes here in TX. There are also a few shots of the benefits of running the wide track front Dana 30. There is plenty of clearance upon full lock even with 33x12.50s. You’ll can see the PO did a shackle reversal and remounted the shock towers. 

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2019 at 6:24pm
Cool pictures!
Awesome to have some jeep trails to play onClap
I see Tuna like to be included in the jeeping. 
Thanks for sharing.
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 4:25am
I was looking through the PO build notebook the other day and it appears the Willys has Power Loks both front and rear. He wrote “power lockers,” but I assume he meant the limited slips. Does anyone have any experience with this type of differential?  Pluses?  Minuses?

Anyway, here are a few shots playing around on our private road off camber and flexing the suspension out. The rear has some good travel. 

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by caelo4 caelo4 wrote:

I was looking through the PO build notebook the other day and it appears the Willys has Power Loks both front and rear. He wrote “power lockers,” but I assume he meant the limited slips. Does anyone have any experience with this type of differential?  Pluses?  Minuses?....

I don't have experience with PowerLok in specific, but I do with limited slips in general.  Trying to separate facts from my opinions...

Most "traction aiding differentials" names are misleading.  "Limited slip" diffs do nothing to limit slip, but they do add a limited amount of additional grip (compared to open diffs).  Instead of transmitting the same amount of torque to both tires like an open diff (which results in no torque to either tire if one is in the air) a limited slip will send up to a fixed amount more torque to the tire with traction.  But once that fixed amount isn't enough it will just slip too.

Some people like them in rear axles because they do help you not be stuck, but they have fairly inoffensive manners the rest of the time.

In a front axle they are similar, but they do have one trait that makes them a little more annoying.  If you try to turn the steering wheel when you are stopped one front tire needs to roll forward and the other needs to roll backward.  With a limited slip you need to overcome the slip torque of the diff to do this, so it's harder (maybe a lot harder) to turn the wheel if you aren't moving.

My opinion?  I'd never use limited slips anywhere.  I don't think they help enough to be worth the limited amount of help they provide (edit:  Oops, what I meant to say was I don't think they help enough to be worth the handling issues they cause).  I'd rather have open diffs.  If that wasn't enough I'd go with an automatic locker (like a LockRight) in the rear, which helps a lot more than a limited slip and (in my opinion) doesn't have that much worse manners.  In the front I'd prefer a selectable locker if it was available.  If not I'd stay with an open unless 4WD was only going to be used at slow speeds and I really wanted the extra traction.  In that case I'd use an automatic locker there as well.  

But again, those are my opinions.  I know others do like limited slips and I'm not saying that their opinions are any less valid than mine.

Edited by Nothing Special - 19 Oct. 2019 at 11:44pm
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 9:06pm
Just looked at the box my Lock Rights came in and see that it also says "Powertrax". Not quite "Power Loks" but could be the what the PO was referring to.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2019 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

I'd rather have open diffs.  If that wasn't enough I'd go with an automatic locker (like a LockRight) in the rear, which helps a lot more than a limited slip and (in my opinion) doesn't have that much worse manners.

Dissenting opinion.  I've had a Powr-Lok in the rear axle of my 3B for decades and have found it to be the best compromise without going to a selectable.  It has relatively good road manners and only on slick surfaces do you need to tread lightly.  I tried a Detroit Locker twice back there and came to the same conclusion both times: the road manners of that was going to eventually get me dead.  If the rig is trail only they work very well but if you are on dry pavement and say, go into a corner faster than you want to and then let up on the accelerator, those instant lane changes are VERY REAL.

The best of both worlds is a selectable, hands down.  I put an ARB in the D44 front axle and am going to do the same for the rear (which eventually is going to be a 35 spline 9").

And nice rig!!!
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

Dissenting opinion.... 

Good to have those!

I did daily drive a CJ5 with a Detroit locker, even through a few Minnesota winters.  Again, I don't mind automatic lockers that much.  But I sure get why some don't like them.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 1:45am
I almost got ran over from behind the other night, turning left off the state highway, so it was time to install some turn signals. My space was limited in the rear, but they are still visible and bright. The installation of the mounted switch was fairly simple, and I only hooked up the rear LEDs so far. 

caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 1:50am
The PO also set up the ignition with a toggle switch and a push button start. While it was nice, there was no security, so I removed the toggle switch and drilled out for a on/off keyed switch with the key only removable from the off position. 

caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 12:54am
Driving at speed, the engine temps are well within normal limits, but in 4wd low on the trails, the thermostat is getting a little warm for my comfort. I read all kinds of threads, and probably could have bought a better electric fan, but Metcalf suggested venting the engine compartment somehow. Cutting up the hood was a little scary!  I also never liked the shiny wheels, so painted them black. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>