Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prospector ‘46 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 3:00am
Let us know if the vents make a difference. 
The wheels look good Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2019 at 3:54am
A few weeks ago I noticed some lateral play on one side of my rear axle. I knew both sides probably needed new seals as well from the grease on the drum backing plates, so I decided it was time to learn how to pull an axle. Everything came apart fairly easy, and I took lots of pics so I could put it all back together. My first issue was, the PO swapped in a Dana 44 with an offset early model 2.5” housing but with custom 19 spline one piece flanged axles. I took some precise measurements and concluded I needed bearings and seals for a later model D44. Next, I tried to find a shop to press on the new bearings for me. Unfortunately, I live out in the country and it seems all of the local shops only employ someone named Bubba, and they all stated they hammer or pound on the bearings manually. I ended up buying a press from Harbor Freight for $129.99 and did it myself. I figure I’ll probably save myself a few dollars after I do the other side, and this way I know it’s done correctly. No leaks so far. I’m pretty proud of myself. 

caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 9:45pm
The PO had installed a lateral traction bar from the inside on the drivers frame rail to the front differential housing. The other day I noticed that one of the bolts to the differential cover and traction bar bracket was missing and the bracket was also cracked in half and loose. I removed the entire traction bar as i can’t ever remember seeing one on a leaf sprung Jeep. 

Should I try and make a new bracket to reinstall it?  What would be the purpose of it in the first place?

I drove it around a little earlier and couldn’t tell any difference, but then I’m not sure how long the bracket was broken and loose. 

Edited by caelo4 - 03 Dec. 2019 at 9:48pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 10:37pm
  Sounds like a panhard bar. I’ve seen several that Bubba has installed on various leaf-spring vehicles. I don’t know why. The bar and the springs will work against each other, and something has to give. Leave it off. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 12:46am
Yeah, a panhard bar, or sometimes called a track bar.  But different from a "traction bar" which is used to minimize / prevent axle wrap under hard acceleration (or heavy throttle with really low trans and t.case gearing).

Generally a panhard bar isn't needed or used with leaf springs.  The bar controls the side-to-side movement of the axle, but leafs already do that.  So as Bruce said, they fight each other.  But Ford used panhard bars and leaf springs on their solid axle 4WD pickups from some time in the late 80s until about 2008 when they went to coils.  I don't know what was different about Fords that it worked out better that way, but people say the trucks are really sloppy without the panhard bars.  Take that for what it's worth...
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 1:34am
Jeep used them from the factory on the leaf spring YJ model. Never could figure out why. But there they were. I removed every one I ever owned and threw it on the scrap pile. As stated the leaf springs are more than enough to hold the axle laterally. I agree with others - toss it! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 3:28am
Thank y’all very much for the advice. I won’t be trying to reinstall it. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2019 at 4:19am
The panhard bars on my '89 YJ gave me no end of grief when trying to 'wheel in the mountains (also the front stabilizer bar--that was before you could find disconnects for the end links).  When I lifted the Jeep, those items went into the "maybe-I-can-make-something-with-this" pile.  I still have them, and I may have an idea for the use thereof. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Let us know if the vents make a difference. 
The wheels look good Clap

So far the louvers seem to working. After multiple outings on the trails around my place, the temps seem to be about 15-20 degrees cooler than before, even when running it hard in low gear at slow speeds. I won’t really know for sure until next summer, but I have had it out on a few humid 75+ degree days and the difference is very noticeable.  I can put my hands above the louvers and feel the heat being pushed out of the engine bay.  For now, I’m very pleased. 

Edited by caelo4 - 08 Dec. 2019 at 6:12am
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 4:22pm
Thanks for letting me know about the vents. Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 5:14pm

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted about my Willys, but I recently completed a long overdue project so it’s time for an update. The PO built a custom 26 gallon fuel tank and mounted it under the rear floor. It was massive and it hung to the bottom of the rear diff cover. Plus there was no access to the rear axel due to limited space and he also made it out of steel, so it was starting to rust inside. The fuel filter was clogging up quickly and the pump was whining louder and louder. It was a poor design and the tank had to go.  

I thought about buying an original and putting it back under the drivers seat, but the PO also built a new seat frame, so that idea would require a lot of work. I decided on a fuel cell instead and place it behind the seats. The Willys came to me with a steel bed cover that I repurposed a few inches higher to make some room for the new tank. I think it turned out well. 

I also cut off the 6x4 box bumper as suggested in a previous reply. 

Here is a pic of the lift gate. 

I used cable lock pins to keep the cover secure. 

I installed gas struts that work better than imagined to raise the lift gate. 

In the bottom left corner are the brackets and pin with rubber stopper. 

Here is the fuel cell. It’s 12 gallons, steel with a rubber bladder inside. I used AN fittings along with stainless and nylon braided fuel lines. 

I like the bulkhead fittings for a clean look coming up through the floor. 

I fabricated the mount out of 2 inch diamond plate. The ones available are expensive. This only cost me $15, and it hold it down super snug. 

Lastly is the vent line running to the rear fender to a tip over valve and a K&N breather. 

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 8:25pm
Bad ass.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by caelo4 caelo4 wrote:

From all my research there has never been a Dana 44 rear wide track with the off set differential for the D18 transfer case, unless I had one custom made.

A little late to the ballgame but there is an offset D44 that comes within a 1/2" of the width of the wide track front axle: a D44 from the 58-64 "wide tread" FC 150 at nominally 57".  That is what I'm using for my full floater in the 3B with a wide track width D44 front axle.

And nice Willys!
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 11:35pm
I like the lid idea over the bed well. I may copy that in idea if I can make it a easy on/off set up.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 8:51am
Great looking jeep! Just joined the post!  Good to see another modded up jeep on the forum.  Noticed you don't have room for stock windsheild latches, what keeps it up right, bolted to rollbar at the top? 
 I lived in Foat Wuth for a several years and still have family in that area, I missed what part your in?

Edited by jeeper50 - 25 Mar. 2022 at 8:56am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by jhg jhg wrote:

I like the lid idea over the bed well. I may copy that in idea if I can make it a easy on/off set up.

I’m going to mount multiple barn door handles onto it to create a roof rack so I can strap down a cooler etc. 

Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Great looking jeep! Just joined the post!  Good to see another modded up jeep on the forum.  Noticed you don't have room for stock windsheild latches, what keeps it up right, bolted to rollbar at the top? 
 I lived in Foat Wuth for a several years and still have family in that area, I missed what part your in?

You’re correct, the windshield is attached at the top of the roll bars with pin latches. I’m about 1.5 hours east of Dallas. 
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 2:24pm
I finally decided to tackle the dreaded bed liner as it was starting to peel from some places on the hood. It came off pretty easily with a wire wheel and I gave it a cheap rattle can paint job with flat tan. It’s not perfect, but neither is the body, so it works. I’m hoping it’s durable and can be managed with cheap touch ups. I’m gonna do the rest of the exterior slowly and leave the bed liner underneath and inside.

Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2022 at 6:39pm
I like the black wheels! Looks more old school. 
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>