Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO Lockout - Shop Made

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTO Lockout - Shop Made
    Posted: 21 Aug. 2021 at 10:54pm
I recently added a vintage Ramsey X200R winch to my Jeep and wanted to ensure the PTO would not be engaged unintentionally. The cast M38/a1 lockout style was what I wanted but priced a bit high, $185 from one vendor. I thought I could fabricate one from scrap metal, a MIG welder, and an angle grinder. Here’s the end result:

It isn’t an exact replica but similar in looks and function. The base is one piece and the vertical standoff is four pieces of steel welded together. The horizontal fork is two pieces for the stem and multiple pieces for the forked end. It took a few hours over a few days to complete and was good practice for my meager welding skills. A fun mini-project!

Mike
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2021 at 11:45pm
Definitely doesn’t look like meager welding skills to me, I would have fully believed you if you had said it was an NOS piece.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Mike P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2021 at 12:26am
Thanks Tate, that’s where the angle grinder comes into play. It works wonders on blobs of steel!
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2021 at 11:26am
It was worth $185 just for the DIY experience, right Mike??
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Mike P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2021 at 11:47am
It was definitely worth saving $185 (no cost using scrap metal), gaining the experience, and having it turn out looking non-bubbamatized.
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 11:57am
After seeing that thread about them it got me to thinking about making one for mine when the time comes.  I will need a dual-stick lockout; I am guessing the yoke that flips over could be made wider to cover both sticks.  A project for another year...
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Mike P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 3:12pm
Yep, when you make your own, you have full control of the design. Here is a photo of the rough fork before I shortened the two tines. The tines are a piece of 1/2 inch wide steel bent into a “C” shape using a vise and hammer. I didn’t heat the metal before bending since the piece isn’t subjected to stress loads. You could easily make the “C” twice as wide for your dual sticks before welding it to the stem / fork handle.

Post Reply Post Reply