Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO & TC leather shift boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 5:31am
I made a set of these in my intro auto upholstery class at the local community college last semester. I used Gale's pattern and thought they came out pretty decent. The drawings don't show it, but you do need to sew the tips of the cone-shaped pieces back to create the opening for shift rods. Figured that out the hard way I did these after considerable practice on the industrial dual feed sewing machines. Sewing the cones onto the base ring requires careful control to avoid feeding fingers under the pressed foot and needle! The ones I made were of scrap black leather-texture vinyl. I may do another set using real leather this semester. If you have access to a heavy enough sewing machine, give Gale's design a try.
Steve
Steve
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 6:05am
Hmmm,
   When I made mine, I just sewed the top of the "cones" together and then cut off the tip making a hole. I had to hand sew the end of the stitching to keep it from unraveling but left the edge of the leather raw. I used a standard sewing machine but also used glove leather that I got at Tandy, I think sewing denim would have been more difficult.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
sibaropsis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 6:32am
By folding the tip of each half-cone and sewing a 1/2" hem, you end up with a nice finished edge when the two halves are then stitched together (outside surfaces face to face) then turned inside out. This also allows lock stitching at the top. Glad to hear glove leather worked well.
Steve
Steve
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 2:28pm
i sew mine by hand. i have made 3 or 4 sets for the shift and the tran. lever. i use gale pattern.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
rcsavacool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcsavacool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 4:25pm
Thanks for the link. Will check it out tonight.
rcsavacool
rcsavacool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcsavacool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 4:31pm
I had some leather furniture that was 20 years old. Before I through it out I cut the back and sides out of the chairs and couch. It was like new. Leather color matches the seats and rims. Renew. Recycle. Reuse.
rcsavacool
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2015 at 9:21am
do you have any of these anymore? 
Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2015 at 12:49pm
BrianJ, try Cheap Jeep, he was selling some at the Spring Reunion
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2015 at 3:02pm
Thanks Bob!
Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
Joe B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2020 at 10:18pm
HELLO,I  JUST SEEN AN OLD POST ABOUT TRANSFER CASE LEVERS BOOT.
ARE THEY STILL AVAILABLE?

THANKS

Joe B.
'46 CJ2A South Texas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567