Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulled Head Could Use Some Advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947CJ2ANOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulled Head Could Use Some Advice.
    Posted: 17 July 2018 at 1:42am
Pulled my L134 head to really get a real report on the condition of my engine. I had reason to believe I had a blown head gasket based on having some oil in my coolant and an issue when trying to get out of neutral to first once I accelerated the jeep would die. The vehicle would start and Idle fine. Any input on if the engine would need rebuilt would be great. 

All items replaced so far:

Electronic Distributer
Spark Plugs 
Gas Tank
Fuel Line 
Carter Carb Rebuilt
Rebuilt Transmission
Rebuilt Transfer Case

wyocj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyocj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 4:39pm
Andrew- I'm not an expert by any means, but something looks odd in the number two jug on the top part of the piston in the photo. I don't see the same thing on the others, but it could be nothing. I'm sure you have compression numbers you could share, and that might get you some qualified help...
Larry
1947CJ2ANOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947CJ2ANOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 6:11pm
my compression was between 90 -110 on all cylinders
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 6:31pm
Looks good what is the plan?  Hone, new rings and a head gasket? Bore it over .010? Replace the pistons and rings.  Be careful = Don't let a speed shop bore it over .080 just to get a extra horse out of it and kill the life of a good block for the next generation of Willys guys.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 8:37pm
Does the #1 exhaust valve look suspect to anyone else? Also, the center head bolt just forward of that piston? 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 10:46pm
It does look like the stud was leaking coolant into the #1 combustion chamber.  Did it smoke?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
1947CJ2ANOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947CJ2ANOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 11:13pm
No coolant in the oil. Just oil in the coolant. 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 11:17pm
Grab the valves that are sticking up and wiggle them to gage the condition of the valve guides, rotate engine with a large socket and a long extension to get the breaker bar out in front of the bumper, I used 3/8 drive tooling. I replaced the valve guides on my engine, it had been rebuilt but the guides were shot. Can be done at home but might be something to consider that might sway your decision to a rebuild. I'm not seeing any hardened valve seat machining marks, meaning with current fuels unleaded that would be a worthwhile investment for a daily driver jeep. 

If you wire brush an area next to one of the valve and look for a larger diameter machined circle around the valve, then it has the hardened seats installed. 

My video with valve springs removed showing guide wear, they will wiggle with springs installed, engine had a valve rattle at idle thru mid range rpms, then quieted down.

Edited by jeeper50 - 17 July 2018 at 11:26pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 12:05am
Hmmm...since no oil is pressurized in the head, and he has oil in the water and not water in the oil, would that then suggest an internal crack in the block connecting pressurized oil to the water jacket? I'm thinking he should have pressure tested the cooling system before tearing it apart.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 1:23am
Originally posted by 1947CJ2ANOOB 1947CJ2ANOOB wrote:

Any input on if the engine would need rebuilt would be great. 

First thing to check is for a ridge at the top of the cylinders, If you can feel it with a finger nail, indicater of cylinder wear, also inside mic. to determine bore size. If little or no ridge might get away with honing cyl, and new rings. Don't forget valve job. Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 1:49pm
clean the top of one pistons to look for manuf stamping indications size  ie; STD, .010, 020, 030 etc that tells you it has been at some point in it's life.

usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 3:15pm
Going back to the original post, I don't see the connection between a possible head gasket problem and the engine dying when you accelerate. Nor do i see anything mentioned about sticking valves. While it is always a good thing to look at especially when doing a rebuild, none of it helps with the main problem of oil in the water. Of course if there is oil in the water, there is probably water in the oil. It just hasn't been seen yet. But if the main issue is oil in the water, at this point, I would think there is a crack somewhere in the block. It would be advisable to check the head as well.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by usmcpmi usmcpmi wrote:

Does the #1 exhaust valve look suspect to anyone else? Also, the center head bolt just forward of that piston? 

First thing I noticed. Valve is not the same as the others. Probably mbecause of a coolant leak. Was the Jeep smoking at all?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 11:15pm
Can we get a close up of #4 with a 4k camera?

I zoomed in on your motor and have concerns at the two red circled areas.
The lower left circle looks odd to me.
The upper right looks like a crack if you zoom in and look between the lines of green dots. You'll have to zoom in to see the dots - I didn't want to overwhelm what looks like a crack to me:

let's try this. It's very faint zoomed like this, but if you can zoom on the upper right circle in your original pick, this looks very much like a crack between the green dots:

If it is a crack, and you had a coolant leak on #1 where the rust is, low power and dying coming up to off-idle doesn't sound far-fetched to me.

Les

Edited by LesBerg - 18 July 2018 at 11:29pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by 1947CJ2ANOOB 1947CJ2ANOOB wrote:

Any input on if the engine would need rebuilt would be great. 

Just providing info to him to make the determination about a possible overhaul, as he asked.  Now back to the peanut gallery to get some more popcorn. Beer

Post Reply Post Reply