Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pulling jeep trailer at highway speeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pulling jeep trailer at highway speeds
    Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 4:18am
I am building a small trailer for the willys.  I want to put super Traxion tires on like my jeep. My question is will the bias ply super Traxion tires hold up to 80mph being pulled behind my truck occasionally? Or should I just get some AT radials and not worry about it? Thoughts?
1949 CJ3A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 4:59am
Radials are the only way to go in my opinion and experience, better wear, run cooler as well.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 12:06pm
80mph is NOT where you want to find out, lol... bias ply on a trailer for the jeep to tow?, no problem. To tow the jeep with?

Not worth it to this kid... .02
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 12:08pm
They make radial trailer tires designed for the job. Tire covers to keep the sun off them during storage too.  Super traxions are good Jeep tires, but I'd never use them on a trailer. My opinion. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
MooCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 7:15pm
Let me be more clear, this will be a 500 pound trailer to tow behind the jeep.  My trailer to tow the jeep has radials but is not long enough for the jeep and the small jeep trailer so I would need to pull it behind my jeep trailer if I wanted to take both with me.  So, I would be towing 2 trailers at highway speeds.  My gut tells me to use radials, I just wanted them to match the jeep.  Hope this helps!
1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 7:58pm
What state is that legal?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 8:11pm
It's legal here in Idaho as long as the combined rig does not exceed a certain length. 
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 8:22pm
Legal here in Utah as long as  you are not longer than 65'.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 9:06pm
Thx Stan.. I couldn't remember but 65ft sounds right.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 9:12pm
Legal at 80......doubtful. Confused
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Legal at 80......doubtful. Confused

I imagine there are not that many roads in most states that it is legal to drive any vehicle 80. Only two that I can think of here in Utah. Chunks of  I-70 and I-15 on some of the most lonely stretches of interstate anywhere.

Found this pdf that seems to have laws listed for all states. Not sure of it's source and accuracy though.
It looks like most states have a 65mph limit for towing.
It also shows that Idaho has a 75' combined vehicle length.
Who knew?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 10:00pm
I thought most trailer tires are bias ply, because they dont twist as much as a radial. Thats what i have on my car trailer.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2016 at 10:22pm
Now you know why I never bought a military Jeep trailer. You need a 20 foot car trailer to load the Jeep and trailer.  Probably could squeak one on a 18, but your tongue weight would be much.  John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2016 at 1:27am
Originally posted by MooCow MooCow wrote:

I would be towing 2 trailers at highway speeds.

I looked into this also and I believe it's called Triple Towing.  It can be done in some states but is illegal in others.  I'm in one of the states that don't allow it so I gave up.

Here's some helpful info with additional links (notice the info on trailer brakes too):

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
MooCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2016 at 3:51am
My jeep trailer is 12' with electric brakes and my little trailer would only b4 5' long.  I personally feel comfortable driving it at 75mph.  My main question was if you guys thought the super Traxion would be fine at 75mph.  I have pretty much decided to go with grabber a/t radials for a bit of an off road look and speed rated to 118mph.  If I could pull both trailers all the way to colorado for the fall color tour at 118 mph I could cut down the trip from 11 hours to around 7!LOL
1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2016 at 2:44pm
Yea not in Oregon. I am told if its licensed in a state that allows it you can get away with passing through the state but expect interest from the cops.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2016 at 3:35pm
I've towed from Denver to Moab using a 95 Grand Cherokee to tow a 2002 TJ on an 18 foot trailer with a a custom trailer twice the weight of an M100 behind that. It towed in a stable fashion but brakes were iffy and high winds and passing trucks made things a little exciting.

I wouldn't do it again.

Towing something the size of an M100 at 75 is not a good idea even with radials. If you do it, make sure the radials have an 'overlay' or 'cap ply' between the top belt and the tread.

The speed ratings on tires are determined on a machine in a laboratory under very specific load and inflations. Trailer tires are specifically designed with lower cornering power and less tread depth.
It's legal to use passenger radials, but the load has to be de-rated when used on SUV. light truck, or trailers.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2016 at 3:55pm
I used to tow at higher speeds,but not anymore my limit is 65 to 70mph.I stay in the Slow lane. All it takes is one "How the Heck did That Happen" and The Safety of others along with yourself as well as your toy are shot to heck. Besides my Ferd Egoboost prefers a less taxing pace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>