Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Put in gear but won't move

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ekallaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Put in gear but won't move
    Posted: 07 Apr. 2020 at 9:52pm
I have a 1952 Willy's jeep, the trans was stuck and I've been working to get it unstuck lately, I finally got it shifting smoothly into all gears, I noticed when I would put it into gear and begin to release the clutch the engine would lower in rpms and almost die unless I pushed the clutch back in, it was like it wanted to drive but something was restricting it. I lifted the back wheels and they spin freely with the drive shaft. One thing I noticed that even if I was in gear I could still hand turn the drive shaft as if it was still in neutral. The 4wd and 2wd is movable I am able to go in and out easily but the high low and neural lever is stuck and I'm not sure if this is affecting the reason it won't drive. I'm not sure what it is stuck in.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 5:42pm
I'd guess the trans is stuck in 3rd or maybe 2 gears at once and the t case is in neutral. Easy to check by pulling the shifter cover on the trans. Maybe one of the shifter fork roll pins broke?
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

I'd guess the trans is stuck in 3rd or maybe 2 gears at once and the t case is in neutral. Easy to check by pulling the shifter cover on the trans. Maybe one of the shifter fork roll pins broke?

Sorry, drm... he double posted Wink

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply