Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Putting a t15 behind a 225?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Putting a t15 behind a 225?
    Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 2:44pm
As can be read about in my other thread, my t90 is about at the end of its life. I’m working on collecting parts to rebuild a spare, but also thinking about (relatively) simple swaps. My first idea was a T14, as I have one in my cj5 that I really like. But I haven’t found a decent one close by. I did find a t15, and have read that it can be adapted to a 225 pretty easily, but haven’t found any particulars. Has anybody here done it? What all is required? Is it just an adaptor between the transmission and my current 225 Bellhousing? 
I understand it is slightly longer and will possibly require driveshaft mods. 
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 4:01pm
Is the adaptor plate on the front of a t86 the 1 5/8” one? I have a line on one of them. I saw the adaptor on Novak’s site that they sell too. Or is that one the wrong thickness? Nevermind it says not for the 225. 

Edited by NCtoy - 26 Jan. 2019 at 4:15pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 4:01pm
T14 at 10-3/8" long has a 3.10 1st gear ratio.
T15 at 10" long is much stronger but has a slightly faster 3.00 1st gear ratio.

T15 is the finest Borg Warner transmission that will fit directly to any of the big hole transfer cases.
No transfer case adapter plate is required, but it must be a big hole D18 or D20.
Or it could even mate to the very rare 1980 IH Dana 300 which is the only D 300 with Texas pattern.

I've adapted the T15 to a Dauntless.
Basically you must use a 1-5/8" deep adapter plate.
But that's a good thing for CJ's because it allows the Dauntless clear the firewall.

I found 3 ways to adapt them to a Dauntless.
Transfer case stays in the standard fore/aft location on all CJ's so no propeller shaft mods are needed.

I've used the AA adapter and also the Trans Dapt adapters which are a high quality but rare find.
I also made what I feel is an even superior design adapter which was made from a Jeep factory adapter plate.
I set them up to fit into CJ-3 frames using factory Dauntless engine brackets.
I did a write up on the modified factory design I came up with.
That's over on the ECJ5 site.
So lots of adapter detail and pics are over here: http://earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/t15-to-dauntless.124841/

Edited by oldtime - 26 Jan. 2019 at 4:04pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 4:07pm
I saw the thread on early cj5. I’m not really up for making my own adaptor. But if I can buy or scrounge the right one that may be the way to go.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 4:23pm
You can still buy a new AA adapter plate. I sold the one that I had.
https://www.advanceadapters.com/products/712510--chevy-v8-to-jeep-t15-transmission-adapter-kit/

I still have the NOS Trans Dapt plate but it's not for sale at this time.
I plan to use my modified factory plate because I think that using the Jeep designed index ring is the superior design.
T86 AA and T14 used the same adpter plate @ 2-5/8" thick.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 2:34am
I just brought home a parts Jeep that has a 225 with a T15 behind it. I just pressure washed it today to take the layers of moss off of everything LOL
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 3:47pm
Quote  But if I can buy or scrounge the right one that may be the way to go.
Yeah I have not seen any used ones for quite a while now.
Occasionally they show up but are not identified so you need know what your looking at.

Quote  I just brought home a parts Jeep that has a 225 with a T15 behind it.

Interesting !  
What other neat O"parts did you get with it ?
Got pics of it ?
So whats the plan now ?

Edited by oldtime - 28 Jan. 2019 at 4:06pm
Zero aftermarket parts

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

So whats the plan now ?

I pressure washed everything yesterday and if it is still light outside when I am finished with work today, I'll be taking photos and start disassembling everything. I will start another thread detailing the direction I will be taking the 2 Jeeps. Not sure exactly what I have yet.
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 2:48am
Well I have acquired a t15, so that swap will probably happen at some point. It looks like it will fit nicely.  I have to build a big hole transfer case first though. I was planning on doing that anyway.  
The adaptors really aren’t that expensive, it seems weird that northwest off-road sells them cheaper that advance adaptors. I guess they are looking out for their distributors. Oldtime I read your thread and think you are right about the adaptors though. The T14 adaptor has a better method of centering the adaptor to the Bellhousing with the small step. I’ve got a T14 adaptor, was yours really that hard to make? Any chance you want to make another?

Berettejeep- what’s that jeep have for a clutch linkage?
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 8:01pm
Quote Well I have acquired a t15,
Great I hope you like it.
It's a very tough transmission and should easily be strong enough to stand up to all the torque you can muster.
Yes the T15 mates direct up to any big hole. 
That combination provides for perfectly matched components.
IMHO the T15 @ 6 spline main shaft is a big plus over that of the 10 spline T14 units.

I think my instructions for converting the factory  adapter are straight forward.
The 941185 adapters are pretty easy to find. 
In fact here's one I found with a quick search:

So long as you can stick weld it's pretty easy to do.
That said one may cut a few corners and make one with out all the additional refinements I used to reduce the mass.
The transmission index bore must be centered and enlarged but the parallel face machining could possibly be omitted.

I have not built that jeep as of yet. 
I already have 3 different ways I can control the clutch without going hydralic.
1) OEM NOS Factory Dauntless "lever and tube assembly" type clutch control.
2) OEM NOS Factory Dauntless  cable type (1970-1971) clutch control.
3) AA Chain type (Buschert) clutch control.

I would consider making another modified factory adapter but I have not the machine tools that will be required to do the index bore nor to mill the plate faces.

Zero aftermarket parts

52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 1:57am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I sold the one that I had. 

It is loving bolted to my T15.  I plan to start my rebuilt 225 on Monday.
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 9:40am
I had installed a T-15 behind the 4.3 Vortec in my 46 build. Its a tough little tranny and being able to down shift into 1st had its advantages.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
 Post Reply Post Reply