Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Fuel System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quality Flexline from Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality Flexline from Fuel Pump
    Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 7:50pm
I would like some opinions on flexlines from the fuel pump.

I had gotten a braided flex line from beachwood with some other stuff I ordered.
all seemed fine when I put fuel in until yesterday when I went to the garage.
fuel everywhere and a steady leak coming from the flexline to the hard line fitting.
after pulling the flexline the female end, the nipple was completely flat and cracked.
I made a temporary line out of rubber, 1/4" steel line from the pump and hose clamps.

I may just leave my fix if i cannot obtain a reliable quality flex hose.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2010 at 12:22am
I make my oil and fuel lines using AN-4 hose and fittings, never worry about leaks with that. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
rrivera1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2010 at 12:34am
Not sure what fuel line I have, I purchase mine from home depot, cut to length line, specifically for fuel, never have any problems..
2nd LT Rivera/ SSgt Rivera USMC

48 CJ2A
T3-C Bantam #655
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2010 at 4:27pm
 I used a rubber fuel line that is marked for fuel on it stuck down in a gallon can for temporary supply for my chassis and noticed it had swollen and is softer where it is in the gas.  You might want to check and make sure that your line isn't doing the same thing on the inside of the line.
   JIM
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
rrivera1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2010 at 4:46pm
Wee
    - good point, but the outside of the line was not intended to be exposed to fuel, only the inner, I am sure that is why it is deteriorating faster sitting in fuel.
2nd LT Rivera/ SSgt Rivera USMC

48 CJ2A
T3-C Bantam #655
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2010 at 5:06pm
 I thought of the same thing and is why I suggested to check the inside of the line.  I didn't check the inside of mine yet, but will before I hook up the permanent one. I am more concerned about the seal and valves in the carb. and fuel pump.
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Willys Motors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2010 at 7:48pm
www.g503.com/parts has that hose made from the original blueprint, but modern material formulation. Worth checking on...
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2010 at 8:43am
I've had bad luck with regular rubber fuel line, had it crack and leak in less then 2 years. I get the fuel injection hose, way more expensive but really seams to hold up.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2010 at 5:22pm
The Chinese aftermarket stuff just does not hold up. I agree, make your own with fuel rated hose. With the additives in modern gas I would use fuel injection rated hose.
BOULDER 48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply