Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question About Valve Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question About Valve Adjustment
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2024 at 6:30pm
Adjusted the valves on my L134 in my ‘47 last weekend. It helped a lot with the excessive valve train noise. Not quiet by any means; but much smoother. Most were in spec (using .016 gauge); but 3 were too tight. Starts and idles better, with much less popping at the exhaust. 

One thing that struck me as odd: the videos and guides I watched/ read showed it being adjusted with two 1/2” wrenches. For mine, I used one 1/2” wrench at the base, and a 7/16” wrench to make the adjustment. Was curious if this smaller size was common, or maybe indicative of some sort of past repair.

It did seem to be a 7/16”, and not the metric equivalent. This adjustment would probably qualify as the furthest I’ve been into this engine, so far. Curious if anyone else had come across this.

Also, thanks to OldPappy for the technical support!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2024 at 10:58am
I will have to go dig out a few old tappets to verify, but I am pretty sure the adjustment screws are supposed to be 1/2", same as the tappet body. It was last Summer when I last adjusted the valves on one of my Jeeps and my memory isn't as good as it once was. I could not find anything in the FSM or Parts List manual which specified the size.

Perhaps yours have been replaced with adjusters from another vehicle, or aftermarket parts, during a previous rebuild. If they work that shouldn't be a problem. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cyates176FA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2024 at 11:06am
Yeah, I don't think I'll get too bent out of shape over it, as long as they keep getting the job done. The adjustment did help, so I'll roll with it. 

It just struck me as odd, since it's been "you'll need two half-inch wrenches" in the how-to videos and write-ups. Makes me wonder if there's been a rebuild somewhere along the way. If I ever get brave enough to pull the head, that will maybe give more info on the history of the engine.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2024 at 12:40pm
Just about any engine this old and still in service has seen at least one overhaul / rebuild, most of them have seen several. I sure wouldn't pull a head unless there was a good reason to. 

If you want to build an engine as a learning exercise, or to prepare for when one might be needed I have some good blocks and a complete engine with a cracked block I could be persuaded to part with, and you already know where to find me. Wink
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cyates176FA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2024 at 12:59pm
Exactly! I don't want to open it up unless I just have to. Makes sense that it'd have been worked on at some point. The guy I bought it from had had it in his family since 1959, so I'm hopeful it hasn't been worked on too many different times. 

I may take you up on one of those offers at some point! 
 Post Reply Post Reply