Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qwaaazy 8s get some exposure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Qwaaazy 8s get some exposure
    Posted: 19 Dec. 2019 at 5:21am
Last year at Easter Jeep Safari a few of us were on the Rusty Nail trail. As we were eating lunch a group of built rigs rolled up behind us. They had a bunch of cameras rolling. They stopped to talk for a few minutes then rolled out in front of us. 

We caught up to them at The Golden Crack and they rolled their cameras as we crossed over.

Here’s their video that includes us. It’s the 2nd in their series.

Our part is in the 1st 3 minutes or so. The rest of the video is their telling the crazy story of what happens to them after we left them. We didn’t get out until dark, but it took them a lot longer.

Some pretty salty language here so beware.

Edited by smfulle - 19 Dec. 2019 at 5:34am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2019 at 2:18pm
Gee I thought Grandpa's Jeep was a CJ......the "experts" say it's an MB.

Experts are so confusing.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2019 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Gee I thought Grandpa's Jeep was a CJ......the "experts" say it's an MB.

Experts are so confusing.

Well Chad, don't be so silly. Every flat fender is a WWII jeep. They started making those funny fenders right after the war. I thought you were a jeep guy. Sheeezzze. Confused
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2019 at 3:59pm
I find the firmer somebody is in their opinions, the more of an expert they think they are.Wink
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2019 at 4:10pm
Those crossings really looked spooky.    I thought I had seen videos before, and I do  not remember it looking as close to tipping over.    Were you running different direction than previous videos,   or just that the camera was viewing from a different angle?   (or my memory stinks,  which is very possible)

I always thought I would want to try the "crack",  but not so sure after watching these.   Shocked
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Those crossings really looked spooky.    I thought I had seen videos before, and I do  not remember it looking as close to tipping over.    Were you running different direction than previous videos,   or just that the camera was viewing from a different angle?   (or my memory stinks,  which is very possible)

I always thought I would want to try the "crack",  but not so sure after watching these.   Shocked

This is the same crossing, just filmed from the other side.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2019 at 11:12pm
Cool video. Except the music. I don't like being subjected to someone else's music choice in such videos.
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2019 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Here's an example of the "wrong" approach to the Crack from the back side...straightening the approach angle did the trickSmile

Fun timesSmile

Mike

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2019 at 1:11am
Holy moly. Pucker factor. Go AZ. Lol
Mike in AZ
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2019 at 2:10am
Originally posted by nivrat nivrat wrote:

Here's an example of the "wrong" approach to the Crack...

Cool pic!

It has been said that bad decisions make good stories. I kinda think they make good pics and videos tooWink
hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2019 at 4:13am
That looks scary Mike! I would be willing to give it a try though.  I love seeing videos with built rigs and the flatties doing the same obstacles. 
1948 Luzon red CJ2A No name yet
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2019 at 9:57pm
Just line up parallel with the black marks (like the rest of Moab)

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2019 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

....  It has been said that bad decisions make good stories. I kinda think they make good pics and videos tooWink

The way I've heard it, Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.  But I like your's too!

And the spookier videos and pictures seem to be the ones going what looks like downhill, vs. Jeff's video of Mike going what looks like uphill.  Is this obstacle easier one way than the other?  (I'll want to know that before I try to get my wife to take this trail!)

Edited by Nothing Special - 21 Dec. 2019 at 12:44am
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2019 at 2:34am
Yes Bob, the video shows the normal direction of the trail, and it is slightly uphill. The pic of me going the opposite way across the crack (at the wrong approach angleSmile) was one of those days when Ward and I were out wildcatting one day and decided to do the "Crack and Back". It's a fun one when you just want to do a partial day run. It begins at the exit of Golden Spike and backtracks up to the Crack and then you turn around and go back out the way you came.
 Don't let the pic of me playing around that day scare you off from going and experiencing it. It really is doable by most rigs/drivers, especially if you go with someone who's done it before. And, just like everywhere else in Moab the scenery is absolutely breathtaking.Smile

FWIW,
Mike

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2019 at 3:27am
Yeah, we were in Moab for the first time this past fall.  And we will be going back!  This past trip was just me and my wife alone in my Bronco so we were taking things pretty easy (Hell's Revenge, Fins & Thngs, Top of the World and Sevenmile Rim), but I'm hoping to do more trails soon.

And I'm not scared by your video, but if I do that trail my wife will certainly appreciate it if I don't do it the hardest way!  And it wasn't just your picture, but the video showing Grampa's MB Wink, Bam Bam and whoever was in-between them (sorry, I don't know everyone's Jeeps) going down also looked more difficult than what I remember seeing some of those same Jeeps going up.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply