Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qwaaazy 8s, what’s that?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Qwaaazy 8s, what’s that?
    Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 3:50am
If you’ve been following recent comments in Jpet’s build thread “Building a universal modified” you’ve seen some talk of the Qwaaazy 8s along with some graphics and such.  Some if you may not know what that is all about so I thought I would explain. Those that were there when I was not please correct any misstatements.
Several years ago at the Fall Color Tour In Colorado a group of folks looking for a little more challenging trail than the main group was running that day decided to head over to Chinaman Gulch. There were 8 jeeps in this thrill seeking group. I’m not sure who started it, probably Jpet, but they started calling the group the Qwaaazy 8s. Later that week I showed up for a Saturday run up to Grizzly Lake and this group was also the Qwaaazy 8s although I’m pretty sure there weren’t 8 jeeps this time but the name started to stick.
Since then, when a few of us get together to take on a trail a little more challenging than your basic forest path, we call ourselves the Qwaaazy 8s regardless of the number of rigs involved. 
So who are the Qwaaazy 8s? Anyone who is one of our flat fender friends that has been with other flat fenders on some of the more difficult trails. Trails include: Pritchett Canyon, Cliffhanger, The Rubicon, Hal John’s, Tuttle Creek, Windrock, Rusty Nail, The Maze In Sand Hollow, The Escalator on Hell’s Revenge, Poughkeepsie Gulch and others in the East and Midwest that I haven’t tried and, because I am old, can’t remember right now as I type this.
At times there has been some controversy about the spelling of Qwaaazy, but the current spelling seems to have settle in as correct.
I have been where the same Jeep boonie hat for all the years I have been wheeling with Jeff. He gave it to me on our first meeting but it’s starting to get a little nasty, even after multiple washings. I talked to Jeff and Brian about maybe getting a Qwaaazy 8s hat but that I needed a logo. Jeff came up with the initial idea, Brian’s daughter fleshed it out some then I took it to the art teacher at our school who did the final logo design.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 3:52am
And that's the rest of the story.... maybe in a Paul Harvey voice.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 4:44am
And what’s the flappy thing on front bumper?
Mike in AZ
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 5:08am
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

And what’s the flappy thing on front bumper?

That’s his crazy tongue hanging out.

Edited by jpet - 10 Dec. 2019 at 8:01am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 6:04am
Thank you
Mike in AZ
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 8:01am
The way I remember is that it was my idea to call the group the “Crazy 8’s”. John Rodgers was in the group and he said, “no, we’re the Quaaazy 8’s” (drawing out the “a” when he said it). Eventually we it ended up being “Qwaaazy 8’s because only a sane person would put a “u” after the “q”
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 11:25am
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 11:29am
This is a picture from chinamen on that day bambam is not in it for some reason. I wasn't there  that day dad took my jeep that year.  Picture hangs in my kitchen/dining room.
Jolly Rodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 11:37am
The posted picture is the original Qwaaazy's.....
The day that we decided at the FCCT to break off from the group and run Chinaman Gulch Mike Picard at his driver's meeting announced that we were doing this run and if anyone wanted to join us were crazy. Since there were eight jeeps the comment was made just call us the Qwuaaazy 8. It has stuck as the group that breaks off from the crowd to do things a little more challenging. Or at least this is how I remember it's start.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 11:48am

BAM BAM is 4th from the left

What is more “Qwaaazy than this is that Wade actually posted a picture!! Knew ya had it in ya!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 11:54am
Bam Bam is next to Cowbell .......
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 11:54am
The jeeps from left to right:

“Willy” - baja4, Bob W
“X-33” - Fred Coldwell, Joe Friday
“Fritz” - WillyTJ
“BAM BAM” - jpet, Dmac (and the Mac-Attack)
“Lumpy” - ricco, pts211
“Cowbell” - Jolly Rodger
“Gus” - Rick G
“Dad’s Jeep” - Lee(MN)

Edit: If I forgot anybody, please post up

Edited by jpet - 10 Dec. 2019 at 1:25pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Jolly Rodger Jolly Rodger wrote:

Bam Bam is next to Cowbell .......
Lumpy is in between them. Hard to see.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 1:01pm
Great fun!! Great memories as well 😁

Stan, are these available to purchase ?

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

... Stan, are these available to purchase ?...
I don't know of any plan to have anything made. I emailed this pdf file to a local sign shop. They made me two stencils in an hour for 15 bucks a piece.

q8-6.pdf

They can also make a vinyl decal. I wanted to paint mine on so that It can get patina over time.

I suppose if enough people want some, I can have some made but the shipping will cost as much as the stencil.

The pdf file I posted is to scale.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 1:41pm
Stan / Jeff, I would be interested in a couple of boonies if your embroidery person would be interested in making them up, and a big black decal on my cargo trailer would look nice. If so let us know of prices .... Thanks!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 3:11pm
Many thanks Jeff.....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 4:03pm
We left Eeyore at the bottom on that first run up Chinamans gulch.  We walked and scrambled beside the trail.  The Jeeps were throwing sand and gravel from there tires and there was some backing up to take another run at large bumps.  It was steep all the way to the top.  Still pictures do not do justice to the difficulty of the climb.   
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>