Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P JP and Four Wheel and Offroad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 2:45pm
I always blame misspellings on the computer or phone. Good old auto correct   But bag balm might helpSmile
Mike in AZ
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 3:00pm
For all the old-timers in the print and publishing world, its another nail in the "old school" coffin.  There are many bright spots to all the technological change in print/publish, but the overhead and capital investment required don't allow you to be a "garage printer" anymore!

Hang in there Jeff, all it takes is the idea for the "next thing," then you're off and running...maybe in an totally different direction.

I've got some ideas, you've got the expertise, now all that's needed is a skilled marketer, or maybe a visit to the Shark Tank!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 3:11pm
Well, there is some consolation in that the writers will be employed for a little while until they learn that "digital subscriptions" won't raise the ad dollars the print editions did.
Then the salaried writers will be laid-off, but it will be announced that they will continue on as "contributors" to the digital edition.
Then their intelligent writings and crisp pro photos will be replaced with "blogs" that self promoting loud-mouths will submit for free...    OH, SNAP, we have all that here in The Forum already! Who needs mags....
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 4:04pm
I agree with all that's been,said and printed above me. As a long time subscriber to a couple of the mags being "cancelled" I sure hate to see them go. I fully understand the supposed economics of the production and publishing costs. Feel kind of sorry for future generations that won't have real physical publication to hold and read. 
Reading a Jeep article online just doesn't have the same feel. Let's be honest, anybody can have a picture of your Jeep online, but when your magazine comes in the mail and there you are in "print" well you get my meaning. 
Well I'm obviously too old and the times are as they say are  "passing me by". 
Maybe that's we all drive 70 year old Jeeps!

Will close for now, Gotta go find my last edition of JP. It might be the last one I get. 

As always "see you in the dirt". (real dirt, not digital dirt)

Fuzz
Fuzz
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

And my subscription to 4WOR doesn't run out until June 2022...

I just renewed my subscription to JP until Nov. 2023.  It took some doing to talk myself into that, too.  I dropped Four Wheeler years ago because I don't care about anything but Jeeps.  I don't want to read a magazine on the d@#n computer, I want to hold it in my hands and fall asleep on the couch while attempting to read it.   

BTW, I've seen myself in JP twice.  Tiny little pics nobody except me can tell are me, but I remember when/where they were taken.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 15 Dec. 2019 at 12:25am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 1:14pm
Sad news. I'm afraid the trails themselves are being closed too. Much fighting in court about this with the Forest Service and BLM. Go watch the youtube video "Access Denied". It says it all. 

Magazine publications and mall chain stores are going away. The almighty dollar rules the roost. Ouch
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Sad news. I'm afraid the trails themselves are being closed too. Much fighting in court about this with the Forest Service and BLM. Go watch the youtube video "Access Denied". It says it all......
I hope I don’t start pulling this thread off topic, but I thought I’d share this video:

The guy makes some interesting points.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 6:09pm
My only personal experience with the road closure issue is with the Little Belt Mtns in central Montana.

I think the closures there were the right call.  The trails were getting very ripped up, particularly at creek crossings.  The creeks would freeze in late fall and guys would then batter their way through the ice - leaving headlight glass, plastic body parts, puddles of power steering fluid and antifreeze --- it was a mess.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 7:58pm
There was a ruling in 2010 that mandated the Forest Services trail management and closures. So there is some congressional law built in to what they are doing. I agree, there are some trails that are abused. Others have eroded beyond safe passage. Allot of the old 50's fire trails are being closed that I grew up driving on. That doesn't mean they should never be closed, but I've seen very little road maintenance by the Forest Service here. Trail crews do indeed go clear downfall from the trails but also install barriers. Some are needed. some are irritating. Like losing a old friend. I'm about 50/50 on what they are doing. The more they close, the madder the off roaders get. They actually bring the vandalism on by doing it. Like always, there seem to be more dummys than smart folks out there. Common sense and respect for the resource is pretty tough to control. 

Sorry for changing the OP's original topic, maybe we should move to another thread?. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 8:07pm
You have met them on the trail...those who have no respect for fellow trail users...those that have no respect for the environment...those who don't pack their trash out because they don't want to mess with it. If I wanted to see beer cans and crappy diapers I would go to the parking lot of the local Walmart! These are the persons that are causing others to lose their access to BLM and Forest Service trails.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 15 Dec. 2019 at 8:09pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 11:54pm
Ive contacted the publisher in regard to my subscription in hope of getting a refund or another rag in place of my 4WOF. No reply. Probably gonna get hosed. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2019 at 1:24am
Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

...... Probably gonna get hosed. 

You HAVE gotten hosed.....there is no doubt about it. You lost.

Not the first time this has happened.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2019 at 6:03pm
Omg, _ _ before we know it we'll be driving "Digital-Jeeps" and "CyberTrucks"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2019 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

...... Probably gonna get hosed. 

You HAVE gotten hosed.....there is no doubt about it. You lost.

Not the first time this has happened.

Angry  Yeah, me too I guess. I just renewed JP, Classic Trucks (X2! One for Pop), and Car Craft. They’d been after me to renew 4WOR, but I hadn’t renewed it for a few years.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2019 at 7:05pm
So when do we start putting digital screens in the outhouse? You gotta have a paper copy in hand while on the crapper..just sayin'
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2019 at 7:21pm
  Shocked  Paper magazines in the outhouse also serve another purpose that the digital screen will never be able to do!  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2019 at 7:42pm
Elk Falls, Kansas has an annual Fall Outhouse Tour every year for the last 20 years. I took the tour a couple of years ago and didn't see digital screens. The southeast Kansas town has a contest for the best outhouse each year. It is an excuse for a very small town that has very little going for it to celebrate something. The names they come up with for their entries in the contest are quite colorful.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2019 at 3:58am
http://elkfallsouthousetour.com/

Might be a great outing for a bunch of old flat fenders.
'Just saying...'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>