Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P JP and Four Wheel and Offroad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2019 at 9:31pm

This is the response I got from JP about its "termination"

Thank you for your email. I regret to inform you that this publication is ceasing. You will be receiving a letter in the mail with instructions on how to proceed with your existing subscription. It is hard to say goodbye to a publication that so many enthusiast love and enjoy. Please be on the lookout for this letter and thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely, 

Alex Woods
Email Customer Service
**Please include all previous correspondence with reply**
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2019 at 3:14am
I find it hard to believe that the people who made the decision to close JP did it just since early September, right as I was paying for a four-year renewal.  Bastiges knew they were gonna do it and took my money anyway.  I'm not happy.  Especially since there's no good replacement for a Jeep-only magazine.  I couldn't care less about any vehicles other than Jeeps.  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

.  Especially since there's no good replacement for a Jeep-only magazine.  I couldn't care less about any vehicles other than Jeeps.  

Actually, there is one Jeep only magazine out there still....Embarrassed

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 5:43am
And a good Jeep magazine it is!   Kudos, Bill

Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 12:20am
So, they offered me the online subscription for the remainder of my term. Told them I had no interest in the online version but thanks for the offer. They then told me I could have Four Wheeler instead (paper copy not online) which I accepted. It'll do. It's the same old stuff in most of these rags anyhow....that we've seen over and over for the last 30 years. The Dispatcher is the exception to this, of course. And I like other 4x4s besides jeeps, too so, I'm okay with it. 
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 1:14am
Haven't gotten my offer yet. Did get the "March" issue 4 or 5 days ago and there was not a word about the change.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 10:31pm
Not only no word on the change, but a subscription card is still included inside. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Not only no word on the change, but a subscription card is still included inside. 
I’m glad:

Edited by jpet - 11 Jan. 2020 at 10:50pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 11:43pm
Yeah, but if you go on-line to subscribe all you get is the choice of the 2 or 3 magazines they are still printing (and not JP). If they and their editor fail to explain what they are doing in one of their last print editions I will think less of them (for what that is worth). 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2020 at 4:09am
Although not on the list of cancelled magazines we've been discussing here, I find the timing of this strange.

I received this in the mail today from FOURWHEELER Magazine.

The "exclusive rate not available to the general public" is 36 issues for $18 or 24 issues for $12.

Just thought it was odd since I haven't had a subscription with them for well over 10years now.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 11:46am
Another bit of info. One of JPs writers (I don't want to name names in case they don't want that known) contacted me asking if they could write for The Dispatcher. They said 'JP is ceasing the print publication so I need to find additional work.'
Bill

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 3:18pm
Just like most things these days, you don't really know who you are dealing with.

When I had problems with my subscription, I contacted them direct (several years ago) and was told that they have dozens of contract subscription services, and they can't (won't) help if you got screwed by an independent subscription agency that was using their name.

I'd be worried that the subscription agency was losing their contract and just trying to suck in money before they stop delivering.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

When I had problems with my subscription, I contacted them direct (several years ago) and was told that they have dozens of contract subscription services, and they can't (won't) help if you got screwed by an independent subscription agency that was using their name.

I'd be worried that the subscription agency was losing their contract and just trying to suck in money before they stop delivering.

I used to buy Jeep Action Magazine at Barnes and Noble. They stopped their print form in the US. I wrote to them asking why. They said the American contract distributor kept screwing them out of the money they were owed so they went all digital for the states.

Bill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 12:49am
I finally got the letter the other day.  The only choices they offered are digital editions of MotorTrend, HOT ROD, or Four Wheeler.  Oh yeah--also, 6 months of MotorTrend streaming subscription, none of which is any use to me.  There is a phone number: 1-877-485-6429.  I intend to call.  They will learn of my displeasure.

Okay, so I finally made the call.  I told the young lady who answered that their choices weren't going to work for me and that I wanted a refund.  She didn't hesitate and said that a check would be coming.  So I didn't need to vent or anything; I was able to keep my displeasure in check, so to speak.  I still would have preferred to receive the magazine, but it is what it is.   

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 21 Jan. 2020 at 5:39am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 2:09am
Latest update to the JP refund story: week before last I received in the mail a statement from the bank that used to carry my NRA credit card.  I cancelled that account two years ago, and never used that card to pay for my JP subscription; I always paid with a check.  So how did JP connect me to a closed account that they shouldn't have ever known existed??  And why use a credit card to refund my money when they could have sent me a check??  I called the bank and they are supposed to be sending me the check that JP should have sent.  I just wonder now how long it will take to get that $72...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 3:57am
Well, that was (relatively) quick!  I got the check in the mail today.  I still would have preferred the magazine though.
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 9:14am
A while after this was announced i was talking to a friend and not having a decent 4x4 magazine here for years we decided its time for the printed magazine to come back. We then laughed as it was a daft idea, we then said "although, I could write, you could edit, we know whatsherface she'll write something, your lad could be bullied into taking pictures...."

Look at Crawl magazine, a very well presented magazine that is a small scale low volume magazine that I find refreshing every time I read it.

I mean if the local church parish can print a magazine every month, albeit printed on a colour photocopier then why cant the 4x4 community? 

I believe the trick would be to hire wheelers that are writers, Pewe, Williams, McGee, Wagner etc, there are too many persons in this area of media that can edit videos and look stunning on screen but dont know their arse from their elbow when it come to turning wrenches and actually wheeling. I mean fine, if you wanna promote the hobby by all means do so but don't profess to be mechanics/fabricators or otherwise when quite clearly I'm gonna have to buy you a grinder for Christmas cause your a poor YouTuber.

The problem comes down to big corporation they do not listen to the fanbase, take Disney for example, all about the Dollhairs
It is true that you cannot publish a print magazine that fits the profit margins of a big company, by no means did these magazines die from lack of readers.

jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 4:49pm
A few flat fender enthusiasts are trying to start up a print thing. I hope to get my first issue any minute now.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>