Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator Pads and Shroud Extension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator Pads and Shroud Extension
    Posted: 30 June 2022 at 3:06pm
I know this seems like a silly question, but I am just curious.  Are these common\necessary?

I know they are the same pad as the body mounts, and I have extras, but how many people use them?  My 2A didn't have them when I took it apart, or for the first 700 miles of the restoration.

I am getting ready to re-install my radiator and came across the item at Army Jeep Parts, and it got me thinking.

The radiator is the perfect height right now.  The support rod, hood, etc. all line up nicely.  The fan is also centered in the shroud.

Second question - Has anyone installed the shroud extension while the radiator is in?  It seems like it would be doable if the fan is removed.  I ordered a shroud extension, but it is a few days out.  I want to drive this damn thing over the 4th.

Thanks

Edited by jgodfrey - 30 June 2022 at 4:44pm
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 7:01pm
Obviously the rig works without them. Unless you have an overheating issue, I would drive it as is for the 4th.

Anything that makes air flow through the radiator is a good idea. Any air that can bypass the radiator's core does you no good. Thus, the fan shroud extension is good insurance to avoid overheating, the felt seals would also be good.

I am unsure what you are saying about the radiator mounts. Are they rubber mounts or what?
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 7:15pm
I once installed my radiator with the pads, hooked up the hoses filled with coolant, then realized one of the pads slipped out while dropping it on.  I was able to remove the two nuts underneath, then lift up the radiator enough to slide the pad in place.  Put the nuts back on and Bob was my uncle.

I think you'd be ok without pads for a bit, but I'd use them.  They're only 1/4" thick, I can't imagine raising your radiator up 1/4" would cause problems.

Edited by Scratch - 30 June 2022 at 7:16pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 7:20pm
Yes, as Scratch said 1/4" should not make any perceivable difference & they should cut way back on the vibration the radiator experiences. 
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 10:51pm
Willys felt the need for the pads.
I would drive it for the 4th then install them later.
DMusil
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 12:40pm
If I remember correctly you have a reproduction radiator. Last I knew they didn’t have the holes drilled for the extension, the only way I would feel safe drilling those holes is with the radiator out and a block of wood protecting the core. On mine there’s not enough room to install the radiator with extension without taking the fan off, so it’ll probably need to come off either way.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 1:21pm
That's what I did. Took the shroud extension off the old radiator and used wood blocks so not to drill into the core. Radiator out. 

DMusil
 Post Reply Post Reply