Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radio AM dial cable driven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radio AM dial cable driven
    Posted: 13 May 2023 at 5:43pm
To all,

Recently obtained from a scrap bin

A radio has an AM dial and two separate wire driven cables on the back of the radio. The cables are like a speedometer style cable. There is only the radio face and dial with two knobs, no tubes or other wiring.

One of the radio faces is mounted in a Glove Box door looking panel perhaps similar to a wagon or pick up or even perhaps a Willys automobile.

If someone could help me post photos of the units, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Frank

Edited by Frank - 13 May 2023 at 5:45pm
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 6:08pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 3:33pm
Bight,

Thanks for the insight on how to post photos. 

It appears that the radio's may be prewar Willys Autocar. 

The two cables on the back of the units when turned by hand operate or move the AM dial post in one direction to the other direction. 

I will try and post photos when I am not under adult supervision doing honey do stuff.

Thx,

Frank
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 4:02pm
Is it like this?  

Edited by Agas46cj - 17 May 2023 at 4:49pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 6:18pm
the radio in my 40 Dodge 5 window coupe was vertical format with the knobs on the bottom. But it was a Wonderbar dial with 5 preset push buttons running up the right side of the dial.. Great sound,, original equipment for the car.

Edited by Mark W. - 17 May 2023 at 6:19pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:42pm
If you get it working --- better enjoy it while you can.

Just read an article where the feds (NHTSA) are pushing to get rid of AM radio in cars.
Apparently some car makers have already ditched it unless you pay an "up-charge" to keep it.

Their lobbyists say that AM interferes with electric car controls.
Must be a pretty powerful receiver they're using nowadays huh? LOL

A couple of representatives are slapping together a bill to save AM from the ash heap.
Probably just a matter of time........

Your tax dollars (quietly) at work.........

Edited by Ron D - 18 May 2023 at 4:47pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 2:00am
The reason a number of car makers are dropping AM in their cars is that the RFI caused by the car makes AM almost impossible to hear due to the static. It really has nothing to due with the government.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 2:27am
  There’s nothing on AM anymore but high-school baseball games anyway. For that matter, there’s nothing on FM worth listening to either. All the “oldies” stations play nothing but 80’s and 90’s music. 🤮
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 7:47am
and commercials. way more than music. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:59am
Am is about talk radio and non English speaking stations. As well as religion and news.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:35am
I’m sending mine out to be converted to am/fm Bluetooth so I can listen to commercial free 40’s music and bluegrass 
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

The reason a number of car makers are dropping AM in their cars is that the RFI caused by the car makes AM almost impossible to hear due to the static. It really has nothing to due with the government.
Yes, I mis-stated the interference direction. The EV generates RFI to the radio, not the radio interfering with the car.

Which makes the issue more perplexing --- old school engineers solved AM RFI generated by internal combustion engines decades ago (using things like resistor spark plugs, carbon-core spark plug wires, shielding, etc).

Modern engineers can't figure out how to do the same on an EV?
Maybe it costs too much? Sometimes it's hard to get to the ground truth about things.

The government is involved in everything.
When enough car makers pay enough lobbyists to pay enough politicians, it's only a matter of time before they'll get what they want.
And naturally, the free market also has a say, if it speaks loud enough.

Most folks nowadays are so addicted to the interweb that they don't even know what AM radio is. In a few more years it'll be the same for FM radio I suppose.

Everything will be fine, until the interweb goes down, or the server crashes, or the cell tower isn't there any more. 

Edited by Ron D - 19 May 2023 at 2:28pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 3:24pm
not to get political but guess which side of the isle that AM talk tends to be.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 3:27pm

”not to get political”
 but guess which side of the isle that AM talk tends to be.
(Quotation marks mine)
Then why would you even bring it up?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

”not to get political”
 but guess which side of the isle that AM talk tends to be.
(Quotation marks mine)
Then why would you even bring it up?
BW 

Maybe because it's an open forum and you can say pretty much anything that doesn't offend the moderator?
I'm thankful for that. Wink

Besides --- it might just be the truth. LOL

Edited by Ron D - 19 May 2023 at 5:02pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 5:26pm
it is nice here without talk of politics. there are plenty of other places for that. leaving out the country of origin of products would also be beneficial. bad products are made everywhere including here in the US. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 6:10pm
I think that knowing the identity (brand name AND country of origin) are essential elements of smart buying jeep parts.
For me, vendors who refuse to advertise or provide this information are suspect over those that do.
Sometimes it's the only choice --- sometimes you have no choice. Patience helps.

And reporting good and bad experiences with jeep parts is what makes this forum a great resource.
How could a member authoritatively talk about parts or vendor experiences if he can't positively identify anything?
Can't leave out half the puzzle without injecting a lot of doubt.

As for "politics" I agree there are other venues for that.
But for this thread, the only word used was "politics", without advocating for or against any particular lean.
Does the word "politics" by itself offend? Good grief.

Edited by Ron D - 19 May 2023 at 6:20pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Does the word "politics" by itself offend? Good grief.

Actually I didn't see the word 'offend' in this thread until your post.

But yes, politics is best left off here in my opinion.....(because generally jeep threads aren't offensive)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>