Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radio AM dial cable driven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

”not to get political”
 but guess which side of the isle that AM talk tends to be.
(Quotation marks mine)
Then why would you even bring it up?
BW 

Maybe because it's an open forum and you can say pretty much anything that doesn't offend the moderator?
I'm thankful for that. Wink

Besides --- it might just be the truth. LOL

It IS the truth. And I happen to be on the side that dominates AM radio talk shows (unless things have changed in the last couple of years), But Mark brought up an obviously political subject right after saying “not to get political”. He should have known it would start a sh!tstorm, and it had nothing to do with the subject of the thread. 
  One of the things I love about this forum and jeeper’s get-togethers is that we can keep political and religious opinions to ourselves, and have a good time without them. I’d just as soon see it stay that way. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

But Mark brought up an obviously political subject right after saying “not to get political”. He should have known it would start a sh!tstorm, and it had nothing to do with the subject of the thread. 
  One of the things I love about this forum and jeeper’s get-togethers is that we can keep political and religious opinions to ourselves, and have a good time without them. I’d just as soon see it stay that way. 
BW 

Mark's neutral comment wasn't "obviously political" one way or another to me.
If it was bait, I didn't take it.
Guess I'm not sensitive enough.

And I guess my definition of "____storms" is entirely different.
This one is mild, but I don't get riled easy like some do.

Ah, the problems of human beings trying to communicate sight unseen over the interweb can be awfully hard and challenging at times can't they?

Edited by Ron D - 19 May 2023 at 9:30pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:36pm
Ahem.. Meanwhile back at the ranch. The radio pic posted by Aaron is the same motorola unit was in my 49 dodge pilot house 1/2t p/u. The truck was my HS auto shop (remember the days?) project back in 69, dad was a self taught radio tech and had it humming (pun intended) nicely. had to sell the truck in 99, wish i still had it.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:48pm
I was wondering if it had vacuum tubes in it (pre-transistor days).
Looks like it could.
Now that would really be a museum piece restored and working!
1951 M38
1951 M100
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 6:44am
I too have this type ( but not exact) of 6 volt radio. I have listened to it during a blizzard here in Western SD on my workbench using a Jeep battery and a Chevy antenna that will extend to the moon. I was picking up radio stations in North Dakota. Much fun. Similar to the old fun as a kid listening to my Crystal radio with a lead hooked to an old house boiler radiator next to my bed at night. Secret spy!!

I read yesterday that AM radio  is being dropped from new production cars because of frequency interference from the car itself. Reminded me of all the WW2 tech that was implemented in Jeeps so the SCR  (Signal Core Radios) would have better function. Maybe we should paint a blue drab S on cars with AM now? 

I had a '49 Chevy with another of these old tube type radios that hummed or worked. You had to wait a bit for the hum which meant the tubes were warmed up and working. It sounded terrible and I found the speaker had separated in the middle some. I took it to a old time radio man and he glued it back together. It worked like new. 

Kfire, Koma, Wolfman Jack. The good old days. Thumbs Up
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 12:27pm
there is also a singular smell to those old radios which if understood takes one back 50+ years. 

and for tubes, remember going to the drug store and having a "console" to test and replace tubes?

oh yeah, thanks muley.

Edited by bight - 20 May 2023 at 12:30pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 4:27am
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

...had to sell the truck in 99, wish i still had it.

That's a near-universal experience.  That and "I coulda bought 'item X' for just a few bucks but I waited too long".  I hate when that happens!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

not to get political but guess which side of the isle that AM talk tends to be.

True Mark and not really political.

Getting political these days often just means someone stating a fact or comments made on something that was commonplace a few years ago. Then the "Non Politic" soap boxers can flip out till no one comments on anything hardly.  

Neat radio, haven't seen one like that.

Edited by windyhill - 11 June 2023 at 5:50pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2023 at 2:47pm
It is probably possible to get that radio operating if the physical/mechanical condition is good.  There is an antique radio forum where the group has a pretty good knowledge base if you have the manuals and understand some of what makes it tick.  Check with me if you if you need a tube.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12