Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ramsey PT1-J disassembled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramsey PT1-J disassembled
    Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 7:26pm
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 9:03pm
Nice and clean, and organized. I went through mine over the winter. The chain is a little loose and drags on the case. Does that mean it's stretched and needs to be replaced? Or can I shorten by a half a link? Or leave as is?
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 9:33pm
Some would say replace the chain but the chain in some PTOs is a special chain if I remember correctly with short height side plates and if it is replaced with standard chain it may still drag because the side plates of the chain are taller.  If it can be shortened that might be a good solution.  If it is just standard chain in your PTO, then replacing it might be the way to go.  Just check to see what kind of chain it has.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Priam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 9:47pm
Well, this is my first PTO so keep in mind I'm not any kind of an 'expert'. You could ask Herm, I do know he rebuilds these...in fact I ordered my PT1-J "rebuild kit" from him and am currently waiting for it to arrive.

Anyway, the chain in this one does not drag the case. So you're probably right, your chain has likely stretched a bit. As you've no doubt found there is no chain tensioner on these, so I assume some play is acceptable. You could replace a full link with a half-link and see if that does the trick. You may also count the links in this image...see if this one and yours differs.

I will tell you that this unit experienced a bit of a failure. Sometime before I got my hands on it the set-screw on the left sprocket came out and it went through the right sprocket. If you zoom the image in and look at the right-side sprocket, you'll see where I had to grind down and smooth out the 1:00 tooth. So get some lock-tite on that set-screw if you do pull your chain. ;)
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 4:10pm
I'm working on piecing a single output PT1-J back together. Would you mind taking a few measurements for me so I can machine a new lower shaft?
Priam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 3:53am
Sure. PM me with the details.
 Post Reply Post Reply