Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

REALLY modified flat fender...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REALLY modified flat fender...
    Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 10:12pm
I lurk more than post in this forum but its nice to see some fresh ideas from another corner of the flat fender owners club. 

Anyways, I just got done rebuilding my flat fender over the last year. I probably shouldn't say done. They are never done! It is driving around in the test, tune, change it, phase at least....

I really like this picture because it really show how far from stock I modified it but how close to the stock design it really is...

1942 Willys MB ( originally a USMC version, fording kit, and radio version )
New hand built frame out of 2x4 box tubing 
225 Buick odd fire V6, HEI, autolite 2bbl carb
SM420 transmission 
D18 transfer case
D30 open knuckle front axle, 4.30 gears
D44 rear axle, flanged axle full float conversion
4 wheel disc brakes
35" BFG Krawlers on beadlock wheels 
86" wheelbase, +3 front +3 rear ( actually 85.X" with new springs )
1" superlift rear springs at all 4 corners
10" travel shocks
17" belly clearance with tucked powertrain
low back bucket seats sunken to the floor
custom 19 gallon aluminum fuel tank behind the seats
2.75" raised front fenders
2.75" raised rear wheel tubs
36" dia rear wheel opening
1.5", .120 wall custom cage
Vintage 1972 Belleview winch with synthetic line in custom sunken mount
Big piston J20 power steering box
Thick wall tie-rod and drag-link
4-fuse super simple rewire with pushbutton start
Autometer gauges ( tach, oil, temp, vacuum, volts )
XJ hanging pedals, manual brake conversion, hydro clutch
70 years of patina....

Modified......but still with roots.....

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

CMShrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMShrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 1:32am
Nice work! I like it. Can't wait to see some picture/videos of it on the trail.
R Qualls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Qualls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 2:35am
I like it
1946 cj-2A x2, 1951 M38
1954 cj-3B converted to a MB
1955 m38a1 * NRA LIFE MEMBER *
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 3:07am
Thanks....

Some pics from the 1st moab shakedown this spring. It didn't go so well, but it was still fun. 

brandon219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 6:58am
Thumbs UpCool
Brandon

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/propane-flattie_topic23877.html
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 8:52am
17" at the belly seems a little low for them big tires, but pretty sweet looking though :-D  Any plans to put taller springs in later?  or going to leave it on the lower side?  I bet it rides pretty good!

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 03 Aug. 2012 at 8:53am
2a #40500
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Daniel_Buck Daniel_Buck wrote:

17" at the belly seems a little low for them big tires, but pretty sweet looking though :-D  Any plans to put taller springs in later?  or going to leave it on the lower side?  I bet it rides pretty good!

The belly clearance is pretty good in my book. With the shorter wheelbase you really don't need that much. Also, the belly is pretty much flat without a lot of stuff hanging down in odd places to get stuck. 

Another way to think about it. The entire vehicle is only about 68" tall and it has 17" of belly clearance :) Go measure a stock flat fender. 

I kept the entire vehicle as low as possible to help with stability. It is wider than it is tall. 68" tall and 72" wide. It is also very low and a few hundred pounds heavy on the front axle to make it climb better. Tall short wheelbase jeeps just don't like to climb....

This is a pretty funny picture....

Here is my jeep next to your more conventional type build. The big jeep is spring over with 35s. Mine is 15.5" lower overall and only approx 2" less belly clearance. 

No plans for bigger springs at all. I did end up adding 1" of rear shackle length to level the jeep a touch and prevent the spring from binding on the rear bumper. 

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 2:30pm
Very nice build!

Got any fording or radio parts leftover?
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Very nice build!

Got any fording or radio parts leftover?

No, the vehicle was pretty stripped down and had gone through at least one major rebuild in its life. All the indicators are still there, including that blasted undercoating! 

I did keep the original USMC tow hooks :) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 3:16pm
you must have very little up travel? Seems like if yours is 15 inches shorter, your belly should be the same 15" shorter,,,,, but anyways your rig is pretty knarly lookin!!
Brandon

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by brandon219 brandon219 wrote:

you must have very little up travel? Seems like if yours is 15 inches shorter, your belly should be the same 15" shorter,,,,, but anyways your rig is pretty knarly lookin!!

4.5" up-travel front and rear (10" travel shocks ). I moved things around a lot so the axle could go all the way to the frame both front and rear. The higher engine position, high steering box position, exhaust routing over the rear axle, 2pc front driveline to avoid the starter , radiator height. A lot of little modifications....A LOT!  

The engine, transmission, and transfer case have been raised up in the chassis. The belly isn't completely flush to the bottom of the frame, but it's close ( approx 1-1.25" drop from the bottom of the frame. I built a new transmission tunnel to cover up everything. The engine is also forward slightly to avoid the firewall and improve the weight balance slightly. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

Here is my jeep next to your more conventional type build. The big jeep is spring over with 35s. Mine is 15.5" lower overall and only approx 2" less belly clearance. 

No plans for bigger springs at all. I did end up adding 1" of rear shackle length to level the jeep a touch and prevent the spring from binding on the rear bumper. 

Not trying to put down all the work you have done, but it seems like a 2 extra inches on the springs would give you noticeably more clearance (the same belly clearance as that much taller jeep in the photo!  Although your rockers would be lower, right?) and you would still be alot shorter over all compared to the tall jeep next to you.  

In either case, great work    Big smile    If you are going to be playing in the rocks, I'd put some sort of rocker panel armor on there.  I know you have a short wheel base, but the wheel base on my TJ is only 7 or 8 inches longer, I have 4" of lift on 35" tires and I hit the rocker armor all the time!  Would hate to see that bare 70 year old tub hitting rock  LOL     How did it go in Moab?

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 03 Aug. 2012 at 4:01pm
2a #40500
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Daniel_Buck Daniel_Buck wrote:

Not trying to put down all the work you have done, but it seems like a 2 extra inches on the springs would give you noticeably more clearance (the same belly clearance as that much taller jeep in the photo!  Although your rockers would be lower, right?) and you would still be alot shorter over all compared to the tall jeep next to you.  

In either case, great work    Big smile    If you are going to be playing in the rocks, I'd put some sort of rocker panel armor on there.  I know you have a short wheel base, but the wheel base on my TJ is only 7 or 8 inches longer, I have 4" of lift on 35" tires and I hit the rocker armor all the time!  Would hate to see that 70 year old tub hitting rock  LOL

Rocker panel guards are on the to do list for sure! I have a neat idea that I want to try that I haven't really seen done yet. This tub isn't that straight though...its 70 years old.

As far as the belly clearance. How much do you really need on a short wheelbase? A stock flat fender has about 12" maybe less? For me, every inch in height takes away from performance on steep climbs. The belly is very 'flat' with everything tucked up out of the way as much as possible.

There will be a flat aluminum skidplate from the transmission crossmember to the crossmember under the engine mounts. If you do hit on the belly, everything is nice and smooth, you generally either slide over or can slide back off. 

The frame rail has about 18-18.5" of clearance and is smooth and flat from spring hanger to spring hanger. There is no clutch linkage or transmission crossmember mounts hanging down. All that stuff went away with the new frame. 

I imagine in some terrain more belly clearance could be advantageous. For me, I would rather put up with a touch of rubbing every now and again with the vehicle being that much more stable, not only side to side, but also front to back. Personally I think this is the key to making the short wheelbase work well off road. 

This is the type of terrain I am fighting.....

This was on the Gold Bar Rim trail before the last buildup. Climbs like this in a flat fender are just a total pain in the rear! It was JUST steep enough ( even in a more stock vehicle ) that the front tires where starting to un-weight, engine wouldn't run right, etc. The climb was longer than the wheelbase also, a common thing in my area with a flat fender. A longer wheelbase vehicle will just walk right up as long as the front and rear overhang are not an issue. I can't wait to get all the loose ends tied up and try the same thing again. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 4:34pm
I see,,, i forgot all other mods you have done, and how far you tucked everything up in the frame........   Well you have quite a rig man... Take some underbelly pics too!! That way people on here understand more about what their lookin at!!  Have fun!!!Wink
Brandon

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 4:48pm
Thanks. 

A really bad picture during the build. Yes, there is an engine transmission and transfer case in the vehicle at that point. 

Here is the new tunnel I made to cover everything up....

I think its really hard for people to grasp how small this thing is without seeing it in person. For the amount of clearance it does have with 35" tires, 4.5" uptravel, 17" of belly clearance, and an overall height of only about 68". The top of the tub is only 43" tall at ride height. It's one compact unit! Think big kid go cart....

That is a stock 2WD 1/2 ton chevy truck. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 6:47pm
True!  Build it for what you wheel on :)   I wheel on rocks too, but usually more bolder type rocks, and not as many huge slabs of rock like that.

Very sweet project.  I just got through tucking the transmission and transfer case on my TJ with a nice smooth skid plate to cover them and the engine, sticks about 1" below the frame.  The extra 3-4 inches of clearance is SUPER nice :-D  And the smooth skid slides real easy.  

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 03 Aug. 2012 at 6:48pm
2a #40500
2many View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 9:22pm
I think you nailed it, man!  Really nice build and I'm right with you - keep it as low as possible with a big tire.  I've been on my tail (and my lid) a few times and the hills are definitely a nemesis.  My future projects are similar - clock the Dana 300, make a flat belly, and stretch it about 10 inches in the middle to try and tuck a seat in there for the kids.  And help the hill climb issue!  What kind of lockers you running?  Nice work!

Too many 2A's - ask my wife
'45 CJ2A (10231) in progress
'57 FC-150
'74 CJ 6
2many View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 9:33pm
Meant to ask how you went about raising your front fenders?  That was another direction I was going to head on the next teardown.  Thanks!
Too many 2A's - ask my wife
'45 CJ2A (10231) in progress
'57 FC-150
'74 CJ 6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>