Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear brake drum question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear brake drum question
    Posted: 27 Nov. 2019 at 7:37pm
I don't know what year the dana 44 rear I'm using is but it has slip on rear brake drums (mounted outside the flange). From what I can tell crossing part # over on Kaiserwillys.com they seem to be from a 54 or newer. They are 9". Does this sound right? The other axles I have all have the flange outside of the drum and I think I'd like to use the set up so brake cleaning is easier. I have to order 1 flange but I'm not sure if I should just order for a 54 or not.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2019 at 9:11pm
Yes, order for the '54.  Drums for an M-38 or a CJ-3B (possibly some CJ-3A?) are what you want.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
gearhead488 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 2:56pm
Thanks
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2019 at 9:51pm
Check out the Raybestos 2300R drums. I just used a pair of these 9" drums on my rear axle brake job on my '51 M38.    I bought them online on Rockauto.com for a screaming good price of $22 each... I just searched them now and they are $19 each!!
They are good quality, and checked out nice and round, so no remediary drum turning was required.   
Two minor footnotes:
1. They do not have the "slit" for using a feeler gauge on setting shoe clearance as the original did (I adjust mine using the "resistance" method anyway), and
2. The M38 uses the three counter-sunk holes to attach the drums to the axle spindle with 1/4" slotted screws. The holes on the drums, as delivered, left the heads of the slotted screws a bit proud, so I counter sunk them a little deeper with a 45 degree reamer.
Even with postage, 2 quality drums for about $50 bucks, delivered! Can't beat it... Rockauto had great prices on Monroe 32207 shock absorbers, too.

Hope that helps
Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A On the Campo-Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic