Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear brake drum removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner_Eggert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear brake drum removal
    Posted: 18 July 2018 at 9:27pm
well, I need help. I spent all afternoon hearing beating and pulling my rear brake drum/hub. I put a 3 jaw puller on it and cranked until it popped off. I did that a couple of times until I have up and put it on tight. Then I heated the hub cherry red with my oxy/acetylene torch. I beat on it for all I had. Still nothing. Any suggestions? 
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 9:30pm
IS YOU PULLER CONNECT TO THE LUGS OR THE DRUM? YOU MAY BE USING THE WRONG TYPE OF PULLER.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 9:39pm
Here is the one we made. Pulling on the studs.

1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:05am
A 3-jaw puller isn't the right tool for the job.  cjbilly's puller is closer to what you need, but that one could maybe use some reinforcement at the lug nuts if the hub is especially tight.  Loosen but don't remove the axle nut, put the puller on, tighten it and whack the end of the screw in line with the axle.  Tighten and repeat as necessary.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:12am
Conner_Eggert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner_Eggert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:28am
I ended up buying a front wheel drive puller at orileys but it doesn't fit the lugs, which is fine because the lugs are either rusted so there's no threads or just broke off. I will make a puller like the one above tomorrow, but the 3 jaw actually bent the drum out where it bolts to the hub, which is curious because I thought it was cast and there fore would have snapped off. No matter. I'll just make one tomorrow and weld it to what's left of the studs. Hopefully the other one who be better. It has all of of the studs and looks in much better shape than this side. 
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 1:36pm
This is essentially what happens when you don't use the right style puller.  This is me a few years back making a complete mess of a decent drum.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 3:52pm
+1000 to what the others said. I just went through this this spring. You do want a specialized hub puller. The fit of hub to axle, with them being slightly tapered, is insanely close and very strong.

The pulling action is accomplished by BEATING on the puller lever which has anvils specifically so you strike them with a big hammer (a BFH).

Here is the picture. in real life its quite large and heavy. Once you hold it in your hands you will see how a 3-jaw puller is just not up to the job.

Note the lever part with the anvil on each side. It is not really made for hand operation -- you tighten it by hand and then go at it with a large hammer.

They are expensive ($100+) but most tool rental companies will have one for rent. Mine rents it for 6 bucks for 2 hours. Quite enough to get the job done.

Edited by konstan - 19 July 2018 at 3:59pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:09pm
They are BIG pullers.  I bought the top quality OTC version with the extra arms so it pulls on all 5 studs. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:11pm
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 3:51am
A buddy and I were riding around town one day and he suddenly zipped over into an auto repair shop that was closing due to the death of the owner.  (He has a hard time passing up garage sales, yard sales, and estate sales...)  Being unemployed at the time, the last thing I expected to do that day was to buy one of those big pullers, but for $15.00, I couldn't pass it up. 

The first time I went to use it, it turned out that the last person to install my rear brake drum/hubs didn't do the job right and the hubs just about fell off.  I have since corrected that issue and now need the puller to remove the hubs.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 4:06am
You can get them for about $45. 
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
 Post Reply Post Reply