Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear bumper symmetry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear bumper symmetry
    Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 7:57am

I marked the center of rear bumper and center of body and lined this up thinking this alignment would be correct. However, things do not line up properly, I just read somewhere on line that the bumper is not symmetrical. Does this explain my problem and if so can someone give me the measurements from the left and right side of the bumper to the center of the body.
Thanks, Thad
Life is short. Buy a jeep
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 11:44am
Correct the rear bumper is not symmetrical.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 12:00pm
  The left end of the rear crossmember is pretty near flush with the body side panel. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 12:26pm
Thad,
Here's some information I found that may help:

And also:

Most rear crossmembers have a dip on the upper edge that is centered on the frame - and the holes for the rivets will match up to the frame channels.  So even though it's assymetric, the dip (where the pintle hook would be mounted) and the frame mounting holes are symetrically lined up.  That's assuming you're installing an original or a correctly formed replacement.  

There's also a reinforcement brace that fits inside (between the frame channels) that add strength for the drawbar, but if you're just going for light duty/looks, it shouldn't be needed.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 12 Jan. 2022 at 12:27pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 7:45am

Almost everything is missing on the back of the tub. PO installed a 1/8" steel plate welded in place for the bed and the tub is drilled where bolts will go thru and attach to the frame so I can put these almost anywhere. Much of what should be there is not. I'm not concerned too much about looks, just prefer to not have it look like a crab doing down the road! The rear half of the frame was so bad that I had to cut and weld a used one from a  donor cj2a. It is/will be a Bubba award winnerLOL Thanks for the info.
Life is short. Buy a jeep
 Post Reply Post Reply