Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Output Housing Shims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Output Housing Shims
    Posted: 22 Dec. 2021 at 6:50pm
Hello - I’m replacing the transfer case output shaft seals on our 1948 CJ-2A.  When I separated the rear output shaft housing from the transfer case, there were four metal shims and one gasket.  I think the gasket was supposed to go between the outside of the housing and the emergency brake plate?  Now as I get ready to reinstall the housing, I notice a very large gap (1/4”) between back surface of the housing and the transfer case.  I don’t recall the gap being that big when disassembling.  I keep reading about “runout” and how critical it is.  Can someone please help talk me through this?  I realize this first post isn’t going to provide enough information, but am hoping someone might have a bit of patience with me. Picture, I hope, to follow.

Many thanks,

Berdo 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2021 at 7:32pm
Yes a gasket was only used between the bearing cap and the brake plate.
A large gap suggests that your bearing cup is not seated up angainst the cone roller.
Draw the cup snug up to the cone rollers then remove the bearing cap and install shims.
If bearing is shimmed correct then the runout should be negligible.

Edited by oldtime - 22 Dec. 2021 at 7:39pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Berdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2021 at 7:51pm
Oldtime - Thank you for the quick reply.  I’m with you on the paper gasket location.  But, I’m afraid I don’t understand what you mean by drawing up the cone rollers?  Does something at the transfer case give way, which will reduce the gap?  

(Couldn’t figure out how to post pictures.  I can post them on other forums, but not here for some reason).  
Berdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2021 at 8:24pm
Like the bearing race will snug back into the transfer case as I tighten the housing?  

Edited by Berdo - 22 Dec. 2021 at 8:25pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2021 at 9:06pm
Basically you need make sure the cone is fully seated onto the output shaft.
Then the cup is pushed into the case bore till it fully contacts the cone.
There should be a few thousands between the rear bearing cap and the case. 
And that small gap is where you adjust the output end play.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 12:41am
Hey. I have not actually done a rebuild but assume you have a Dana 18 transfer case?  Here is a really good walk thru of a rebuild. Not saying it is perfect (it may well be) but has lots of good info. 

Berdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 8:25am
Bitz - Thank you.  Yes, Dana 18.  I think this is what I was looking for.  From your link (excellent narrative by willystech):

“A20d. Remember to pattern tighten the housing bolts so you don’t break the bearing housing, remember you are pressing the race in.**”

So, it seems that race is indeed being pushed back into the transfer case as the housing is tightened (I thought it was part of the transfer case casting, not a pressed-in bearing race).  Which begs the question, Why did it come out any in the first place if all I was doing is R and R-ing the bearing housing?  If I didn’t change anything else, should the original four metal shims assure proper runout, provided the runout was correct in the first place?

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 9:00am
The race(cup) is a slight slip fit into the housing and it probably slid out of place during disassembly. It is more than likely slightly cocked in the bore of the housing but will correct itself IF you are careful about evenly tightening the housing bolts. If you are not careful during the tightening process it could cause the housing to break or the bore of the housing to become broached by the back edge of the race.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Berdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 9:08am
SE Kansas 

Got it.  And thank you for your service to our country.  
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 11:29am
Metal shaper has a really good you tube on this. From 4 years ago and about 1 hr long. He walks you thru it. And mentions if you try and drive to hard you can snap a tab. He drives his using a dead blow mallet. 

Bitz

Berdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 12:01pm
Thanks, Bitz:  

Upon further and much closer inspection, I can start to see around the perimeter of the outside of the bearing race the top edge of some numbers.  If I had noticed those numbers earlier, I might’ve realized that it was indeed a race, and not a forged part of TC.  I understand now, that the race will be squeezed back in to the TC as I tighten the housing verrrrrry carefully.  And I’ll make sure there’s proper runout.  

Thank you all for the help.  One last question before I get back to it - is there an inside and outside to the new yoke seals?  I don’t work on cars as much as I used to, and can’t remember.  

Berdo

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 1:08pm
I second the suggestion you watch "Metal Shaper's" video on doing this. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 2:23pm
If I understand your question the seal goes with the “spring” towards the oil side.  Also covered in metal shapers video 

Bitz
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 7:04pm
Since you mentioned that you are not that familiar with working on cars and that you are doing this to stop leaks, I'm going to throw this out there in case you were not aware, or it is not covered in the videos mentioned. Your yoke probably has a grove in it from the old seal. A new seal will not be able to account for the wear and you will probably end up with a leak. Some people repair the surface with a speedy sleeve. I prefer to replace the yoke. They are not that expensive. 

It is a good idea to put a little grease on the new seal as well as the area on the yoke in which it rides.

Also, I like to put Permatex #2 on the splines of the output shaft and yoke. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 7:46pm
Micah is right about the grove. There is discussion in the written procedure and metal shaper usually replaces them with a harden one for back then around $35  maybe money well spent 
Berdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 8:24pm
Thank you, Micah.  

Yes, this particular yoke was badly grooved and pitted.  The others were just as bad, so I’ve bought new yokes and seals (Kaiser Willys) for all around.  And I appreciate the other tips you mentioned.  I’ll post an update after I watch the previously recommended video, and reinstall the rear housing.

Berdo
Berdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 10:34pm
Bitz:  

I watched that metalshaper video, and the one Oldpappy recommended.  Excellent videos, especially at 39’ 10”.  Clears things up quite a bit.  Progress report to follow after Christmas.  Until then, Merry Christmas.

Berdo
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 10:39pm
Good to hear. He has a lot of good videos. Sometimes the camera work is not quite there 😳

Merry Christmas and good luck 

Bitz
By the way G503 has good videos but some is unique to MB but drivechain stuff is pretty common across the board   

Edited by Bitz - 23 Dec. 2021 at 10:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>