Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Output Housing Shims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2021 at 12:30pm
To how many pounds do I torque the yokes?  I’ve seen one source that says 120# and a different source that says 175#. 
Berdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 8:23pm
Thank you, gentlemen, for your help.  I got it all back together and it’s working just fine.  No leaks yet, knock wood.  

For those interested, the rear output bearing race (cup) had indeed come out of the TC a bit during disassembly, which was what confused me in the first place.  The recommended videos and help from you all helped me literally piece things back together.  

I thought I was going to replace only the rear TC seal, but ended up doing both front and rear, and front differential, adjusted the brakes, put in a new exhaust system (thanks, Kaiser Willys), lubed the entire chassis, fixed speedo drive, and installed new transfer case and 2WD/4WD shift levers and pin.

Again, thank you all for your patience, wisdom and camaraderie.  

Berdo

Edited by Berdo - 08 Jan. 2022 at 8:29pm
Berdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 11:08pm
Update - It’s leaking again, although not nearly as bad as before.  I can still live with it.

Edited by Berdo - 08 Feb. 2022 at 11:09pm
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 2:31pm
Is it leaking between the rear bearing cap and the transfer case? If so I chased this for a long time. I realized the shims that came with the Novak rebuild kit were crap. All the same thickness stamped out with curled edges.

This meant I had nearly triple the number of potential leak points because you couldn't use a couple thick shims to get you closer to the correct tolerance. 

John at Midwest Military gave me a set of originals, sill in the greasy envelope. They were a perfect set of varied thicknesses. I was able to minimize the number of shims. I also switched from Permatex red spray gasket maker to the copper. Tight as a drum now.

Combined with a sealed front bearing on the T90, and the Novak t-case pan, it does not leak at all.

Of course, I just jinxed myself.

Metalshaper is awesome. Brian is very passionate about these old Jeeps. Another source is Ron Stiver. He wrote. Rebuild manual many years ago, and created some very detailed step-by-step guides for the T90 and Dana 18.

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 3:34pm
I used the copper sealer too and it worked well. I used RTV on yoke splines after mine leaked there. I RTV'd the splines, washer and bolt threads. Then it leaked out of the shift shafts and only then did I give up. Smile
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12