Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear PTO Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valnelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear PTO Removal
    Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 9:15pm
I'm pulling the REAR PTO from my 1948 cj2a. I've got the rear section off, and the driveline disconnected, but I'm having issues removing the part that connects to the transfer case. I've got the bolts all off, but when I pull the unit backwards, the shifter level hits the rim of the floorboards before the pto shaft clears the transfer case. Does that make sense?

Perhaps I should add, the tub is on the frame. Do I need to take the transmission out too, or at loosen it??

Thanks in advance.
Val Nelson
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 9:27pm
You have to take the shifting lever off from the top by taking the boot off then the plate that holds the lever in the gear case. Then the lever should lift right out.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
valnelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valnelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 5:26am
thanks Jim!

I sort of figured that, but I was a bit hesitant to pull hard on the shifter arm. It didn’t pop right off afte4 I took the cover off.  But after read8ng your note I pried it up and it popped right up!

Thanks!

Val Nelson
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 2:20pm
Your welcome, Glad to hear it worked for you.

Jim
valnelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valnelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 3:07pm
my new problem is disconnecting the joints from the drive shafts.  I’ve pulled the set screws and sprayed on blaster over everything. But I still cannot get the drive shafts off. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Val Nelson
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 6:04pm
I don't know what you mean by "set screws" but if you took the 4 bolts out that hold the U joint caps onto the differential and transfer yokes a pry bar should pry them right out of the yokes.

Jim
valnelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valnelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 6:11pm
My u-joints have a coupler at each end which slips over the drive shaft (long metal rod). The coupler has a square key (into a slot on the drive shaft) as well as an opposing set screw. While I could disassemble at the u-joint, it seems cleaner to take it apart at the coupler.

Any ideas?
Val Nelson
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 7:34pm
Your shaft is different than mine. I have the tube type with the enclosed joints on each end with rubber boots and has flanges on each end that bolts to a flange on the Pto gear boxes.
It might be easier to take your pto shaft off the jeep to work on it if possible. Sounds like you might have to use a hammer to get the joints off.

Sorry, I was brain dead when I last responded and was thinking of the jeeps' drive shafts.

Jim

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply