Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear seat pegs - UPDATED design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear seat pegs - UPDATED design
    Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 8:00am
As far as I know, the rear seat pegs, or spears, that hold the rear seat legs into the floor clips are not available from any vendor. Nobody makes them. If you need them your options are to source a scrap rear seat and cut them off, or make your own by grinding down a chunk of suitably think metal.

Finding a scrap rear seat just to cut the rear pegs/spears off? I've tried this route, and it not as easy as it sounds. Maybe just because parts in general are hard to source from another country.... Maybe because there are not that many scrap rear seats floating around with good pegs on them waiting to be cut off. IDK.

Making your own from a chunk of metal? Also not that easy. You need to have the right size chunk to start with, then spend a while grinding the correct shape.

I set off on a mission to make my own.... or get my own made, to be more accurate.

I found this picture on a thread on the page (I think Sean Collins), which gives overall shape and dimensions.

I then re-created the drawing in CAD, and sent it to a friend of mine who created the part on a 3D plastic printer. I now had a plastic part that I could hold and look at and test fit in the seat clips.
It was a good fit and the clips hold the peg really firmly. Without the seat as leverage I couldn't remove the pegs from the clips without using a screwdriver for leverage!

However it was still only a plastic prototype.

I then contacted a local waterjet cutting company and persuaded them to take on my tiny test job. The technology is amazing - they use a tiny jet of water at extreme pressure to literally cut through metal. I sent them my CAD drawing and this is the result. Black plastic prototype on the left and mild steel peg on the right:

All I need now is to weld the right size washer onto the base (top?) of the peg and I should have a reproduction part that I can use to repair my existing rear seat!

Pretty pleased with how these have turned out so far.

Mike

Edited by JeepSaffer - 20 Apr. 2020 at 12:33pm
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 11:34am
Nicely done Mike,

I would suggest having them make the base, “washer “ also with a slot cut out to hold the spearhead. Make it long enough to weld up on the backside. 

Just a thought. 

Mike
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 12:13pm
Hey Mike,

My plan on that score is to use a regular fender washer (which I still need to find). 5/8" ID looks like it might have the right OD, and the ID fits wholly within the footprint of the base. Then I will just weld up the ID of the washer to the base of the spear.

If I can find it locally it will be a matter of a few cents. If I have to have a washer custom made it will get pretty pricey pretty quick!
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 1:32pm
Understand, I was just kinda thinking out loud with my fingers. 

What you have planned will work well and be less costly. 

Nice job, original rear seats are hard to come by. Nice to be able to save one. 

Mike
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 8:16pm
How much would it cost to have them cast as a complete unit? If it wasn't to much or enough demand for quantity to bring the price down that might be a better way to go.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 6:29am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

How much would it cost to have them cast as a complete unit? 

Hey Jim,

To answer your question, I don't know. I haven't looked into that. Casting them would be cool though and most authentic, seeing as the originals were cast. 

Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

If it wasn't to much or enough demand for quantity to bring the price down that might be a better way to go.

I haven't thought about making these for others, but it's an interesting thought. The best method of making these would be determined by how much demand there is. On this, I have no idea.

Is there a demand for these parts, well made and accurately reproduced?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 7:45am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

The best method of making these would be determined by how much demand there is. On this, I have no idea.

Is there a demand for these parts, well made and accurately reproduced?

Seemingly not! LOL

An M6 fender washer has the right OD, and has a 6mm hole to do a plug weld through the back. Seems like a perfect fit! It would need two though, to get the correct thickness...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by RSR_MK RSR_MK wrote:

Nicely done Mike,

I would suggest having them make the base, “washer “ also with a slot cut out to hold the spearhead. Make it long enough to weld up on the backside. 

Just a thought. 

Mike

It's been a while since I worked on this idea, but I have done exactly as suggested by Mike above. I have had the spear cut from a single sheet of the correct thickness of metal using water jet technology. I have had the washers laser cut to the correct size from the correct thickness of metal. The spear is long enough to fit through a slot in the washer and it is welded from the back. Two different parts from two different suppliers, but the outcome I think is very good. The part is very accurately reproduced in size and shape, and matches the drawing at the top of this post. This is what they look like.

I have installed them on my repaired rear seat and they fit the slot in the floor and the clips under the floor perfectly.

I have enough stock to make 50 assembled pegs with washers, or 25 pairs. 1 pair needed to repair a seat. I can offer these for sale ready welded as an assembled unit, or if you prefer to do your own welding, then as loose washers and spears. Your choice. 

As stated, I am not aware of these being offered for sale anywhere. Nobody makes them accurately, which is why I ended up making my own.

Pricing is $12.50 per assembled washer and spear unit, ie $25 for a pair to repair 1 seat. I live in South Africa and assemble and finish these in my garage at home. Shipping is obviously from here. I have already shipped a set to the USA and they took around 4 weeks to arrive. Shipping cost is determined by weight, $5 per pair via the ordinary air mail service. If you buy more than 1 set then price will be adjusted accordingly. So the cost for 1 pair is $30 delivered to your door. If you want faster or insured shipping with tracking, then I will have to get you a quote.

Let me know if you are interested. Payment will have to be via Paypal unless you want to do an international wire transfer. I think Paypal will be easiest. PM me and we can work things out.

Take care - 

Mike
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2020 at 2:53pm
Very nicely done....those look great!
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2020 at 2:22pm
Well done!!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 12:56pm
Just to update everybody.... I've sold a few sets of these now to buyers in the USA, some from this page, others from the 3A and 3B pages. All have arrived eventually, and the feedback I have had is that people are really happy with the product. I still have a few sets available, let me know if you are interested.

The cheap shipping option is not quick (around 3 months, although I think COVID delays were part of the problem), but items do eventually arrive!

Happy Christmas everybody!

Mike
Rawlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 3:08pm
Do you have the clips that are under the floor or know who sells them?
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Rawlo Rawlo wrote:

Do you have the clips that are under the floor or know who sells them?

From Walck's website:

https://walcks4wd.com/Clip-Rear-Seat-Under-Floor-CJ2A-CJ3A-CJ3B-Station-Wagon_p_607.html
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2020 at 4:58pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Rawlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2020 at 3:16pm
 ThanksSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply