Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuild '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 5:13pm
Made a lot of progress
all my fabricated metal work is back from powder coat

rear bumper came out nice

i put sealant in between the body and the rockslider to keep water and dirt out.

where the roll-bar touches the body there is sealant in between as well  

tank and seat frame are in
i had to put the seat in so i could sit in the willys every now and then

now with the fenders, grill and bumper on it is starting to take shape.

I really like this bit of the build, all the things you have been working on are cumming together.
And you get to see if it turns out the same way as the picture you have in your head. 

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 8:06pm
Your rear bumper looks great and very protective- nice job! The rock sliders you made look similar to the ones I made for my jeep and I was curious how they might contrast painted black against the red body color. 
Now I know! Thanks for posting.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2022 at 4:43pm
for turn signal i got these small LEDs

put rubber grommet behind it and it fits well

only 3.5watt and allot of light

this picture is with the lens mounted.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2022 at 4:55pm
I was looking at those to use as backup lights. 
Think they would be bright enough?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2022 at 2:51pm
to see if it could be used as a back up light
I turned all the lights off in the work shop and switched one LED on

there is a descent amount of light , it is not as much as from a small flood or work light
The light does not go that far but I guess in the dark al light is useful
I think it is similar amount of light as bake lights,  is that enough as a reverse light ?? 
maybe if it is white light 

Ken J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:01pm
Great looking project! Wish my was so clean when I started it. Like mentioned, the seats are an eye of the beholder thing but I personally don like the highback seats. I prefer the original style seat look. Again very nice project and thanks for sharing!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 7:31am
Those lights with a white lens should do very nicely for reverse lights. How much light is needed to back up is subjective. If a person is running trails at night in reverse then they need a lot. Regular reverse lights and/or brake lights have been enough for me to let me make adjustments or change directions. If I have any doubt I get out and walk the area I am backing into. I sometimes walk it out going forward too because lights create a lot of shadows that hide things pretty good. If I needed to light up the campsite I used the headlights. Most of my off road night driving these days seem to be limited to fire trucks and hog wallows can be deadly. 

Edited by Jeff J - 22 May 2022 at 7:32am
jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 5:41pm
update:

cumming week there is a long weekend off , on this the 4x4 club that I'm a member of has a camping trip full of 4x4 fun. So I've been busy the last couple of weeks thing to get the willys done enough to take to this meeting.

the tail lights are thick and stick out past the bumper. But since they are LED the actual light is really thin. so i made a cup out of plastic shaft and mounted the lights in those

now they sit inside of the bumper

the tubes give me a bit more head room and give the window support when the bikini-top is pulled tight to the back

for mounting the bikini top i used a best top mounting rail that is for a wrangler. I cut it to size and mounted it upside down

the top is a best top bikini top for a early cj5, a friend of mine stitched 6 extra straps to it. 2 at the frond, 2 half way where the bend in the bar is and 2 near the back where it goes over the rolbar.

with the extra straps round the centre bar  i can pull the execs fabric in and pull the top tight

the 2 extra straps on the back pull it all nice and tight over the rollbar, and all the execs fabric folds under the top making it tight . I don't know if this will be the final version off the bikini top but for now i am quite pleased .

made a air-filter to fit, cut a old air horn in 2 rotated the bottom upside down and welded it in the bottom plate off the air filter. It sinks over the carburettor enough for the hood to close

in stalled 4 point harness

put the seats in fitted number plates finished al the electrics.

so all good to go on a first test drive.

this is where the good news ends..
On the first drive the engine seized....... i had full oil pressure
I think it is the the crank because there is no motion in the pulley possible
I must have done some thing wrong on the instal of the bearings or maybe not cleaned a oil canal out good enough I don't know.  I will find out....... a bit off a set back Ouch

I guess i will be taking a other 4x4 to our 4x4 club meeting.

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 6:55pm
That's a pisser. 

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 7:35pm
Pull the spark plugs? 
Mike in AZ
jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 4:56pm
bit  off a update

pulled the engine back out

took the engine a part and the back main bearing on the crank had seized
But the weird thing is only half the bearing seized.
half is molten on the crank and the other half is fine.
I took it to the machinist who had checked it fore line bore and he was scratching his head as well
he is going to check every thing , clean the crank up  and we will install the base block together.
it might take some time because he is a buzzy man. 

The one thing that might be that the seal was to tight and it ran hot and cooked the oil on that side of the bearing....
The seal is one of those neoprene seals
But the seal looked oke, it was not hard like it had been cooked it was nice and flexible
So I don't know

All ideas about this are welcome

jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 2:55am
It has been way way to long 
so time for a update

My engine has been sitting at the machine shop for a long time, the guy was really busy.
But at last I got it back. 
He did a few things : the crack was a little off and was steightent.
       machined the  bit where the oil seal sits on the flywheel side down 
and checked every thing over ,tie rods , bore, valves just to make sure every thing was correct.
he assembled the lower half of the engine because he wanded to make sure it was turning over oke.

and the result is a verry good runnig engine , I have been driving the cj2a a bit now and it runs great.  
jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 3:44am
meanwhile i have been doing some other things to the cj

got this toolbox that is going to house the extra LPG tank

after some "trimming" it fits

with the tank mounted behind the seats i fitted the fuel line to this thing.
This gets plumed in to coolend system and turns the liquid gas that comes from the tank into actuel gas.

this thing mounts on top of the carburetor . 
When the liqued gas is turned in to gas it flows to this mixer and in to the carburetor. 
In the hose between the evaporator and the mixer is a restricktor that is ajustable and sets the maximum flow of gas to the engine. It sort of works as changing the jet in a carb.
So the cj2a now has a duell fuel system. 
It can run on normal fuel using the carburetor or on liqued petrolium gas using the extra system.
there is a little controler swith that i put on the steering collum to switch from petrol to LPG
when swithing to LPG you shut of the gasoline flow to the carburetor with a eceltric operated valve that sits in the fuel line between the lift pump and the carb. 
Then you run then engine until the fuel bowl is empty, so the there is no fuel in there to go bad and clog things
ones it is empty switch to LPG, al the valves needed for LPG open and it starts running almost instand .
The switch over is most easy done when driving.
jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 3:48am
water to the evaporasor 

and return

jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 3:55am
From the small testdrive that i had and sitting in the seat ,i did not like the sight out off the front window.
It was to high and i was looking at the window frame to much.

so i scraped the seat frame made a new one , made the cut out in the fender bigger.

did the same for the pasenger side.

Then the rolbarr did not look right any more
grinded the coating of cut the bottem and lowerd it..... much beter 

jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 4:05am
I have been driving it for a few weeks now and i just love it. 
It is performing good . 
I have been driving on the hiway doing 52/53 mph in overdrive, the cj has no problems with that.

after a bit more "testing" 

It has better to put a splash guard on the air filter..... yes that is a fryingpan
jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2023 at 2:39am
Mor stuff done so a update

I am planning to take the cj2a on a holliday trip,  and I think it would be wise to take a spare
So i build a hitch mountded spare tire carrier.
deciding what to mount where 

the almost finnished poduct , just a licence plate and some paint

jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2023 at 2:46am
at the same time a friend offerd to make a rain cover 

this wil keep it nice and dry parked over night on a camp site and when hauling on a trailer in bad whether

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>