Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilt my oil pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilt my oil pump
    Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 7:43pm
So I bought a NOS rebuild kit for my oil pump on ebay. The engine is a chaindrive with the old rotor and vane type oil pump. When I got the rebuild kit it was all packed in cosmoline and did not include a new wear plate, the old wear plate didn't have any grooves so I just re-used it. At any rate, the timing pinion and shaft were not drilled. Had I known this I probably would have just bought another pump, it was easy enough to drill out. When drilling out the new pinion and shaft I tried to line them up as closely as possible with the original configuration but its a little off. Not sure yet if this is going to cause timing issues but I would suspect that I should have enough adjustment in the distributor that it wont cause a problem.
The replacement rotor was fairly rough cut compared to the one I took out and I still need to do some filling to get it to run smooth. I also haven't measured the clearance between the rotor and face to set clearances.

Overall I would say rebuilding this pump was kind of a pain and I wouldn't recommend it, in hindsight I should have just spent the extra hundred and bought a replacement pump, I haven't finished this so hopefully tonight I can and then get it installed. Has anyone else done this? What was the outcome? I'm going to post this over on the G503 site too since there are more chain drive guys over there.  Jess
 Post Reply Post Reply