Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilt t90 slop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilt t90 slop
    Posted: 14 July 2018 at 3:25am
Hello
I rebuilt this t90 a few years back when i was still learning about working on stuff, and now that im finally trying to put my jeep back together, it doesn't seem right. Note this trans has never been run.
1- the bearing on the input side is nice and tight on the shaft but is very loose in the case. Loose enough i could pull it out easily. Is this supposed to be a press fit or loose? I know the bearing retainer wont let it fall out but it is causing my drive gear  to wobble around and misalign.
2-input gear is also vertically out past the gear below it on the cluster gear. Is it supposed to be even or?
3- gear that goes into transfer case needs some kind of spacer. With nothing behind it the nut cant tighten down on it. I found a spacer in the "old t90" parts bin and when it is in behind the gear it fixes the nut issue but pushes the gear out past the mating gear. Got a part number or something?
Thanks very much,
Zac
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 5:39am
What parts did you replace during the rebuild?  Missaligned gears are never a good thing.

I remember the input bearing being fairly easy to pull out of the case, but harder to pull off the shaft.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 2:01pm
I recall it easy to remove, but not sloppy Confused
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mr. Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 6:28pm
yea the outer race of the bearing probably has 15 thou of slop in the case. I replaced all the thrust washers, synchros, bearings, needle rollers, snap rings, etc. just the wear parts I didn’t put any gears in it or anything like that. I bought a kit off eBay. Maybe that was my mistake haha. 
 Post Reply Post Reply