Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reciver hitches who has 'em

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reciver hitches who has 'em
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 12:08am
I'm looking to put a class III 2" receiver on my A2.  I think it can be done fairly sanitary but I'll bet someone out there has got a better idea.  My main issue is I want to handle plenty of tongue weight.  Adapting one to the OEM drawbar is not adequate. 

What'ca got?
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 12:23am
The 2a I built had a receiver. I’ll see if I can dig up a pic. 

But i doubled up the rear crossmember and added a plate to the next forward cross member to give it some strength. 

Never hauled a heavy load with it. But I was confident I could. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 12:59am
I did a search for "receiver" but the pages are not building or will not come up.  So I started this thread.  The issue is probably a old and popullar one. 
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 1:34am

I added the 2" receiver like this.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 4:47am
I have a 2" receiver welded to my bumper. 
CJ3B
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 9:57am
I had to rebuild my rear crossmrember after trying to remove it during a winch job. It had alrady been torn up. So, 4" channel and a bumper of the same stock. Reciever welded in as well.
john
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 10:27am
Here's the one I did. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 1:11pm
Many years ago, I purchased a Harbor Freight bumper receiver and just bolted it to the 2a.  It has worked well for around the farm towing.  I even had one made to fit the quick hitch on my Cub Lo-Boy

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 2:41pm
otto's  and uncamoney's seem like something that would work.  nofender's is very sanitary but I like the idea of getting the receiver as far in as possible for a solid mount and to help reduce the moment.  I need to go out and spend some time under the A2 checking for the possibilities.  
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 3:32pm
I just built it to be as less of a problem as possible.
john
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 3:49pm
Not as nice as other's above, but just fyi. I did a 1 1/4". I have a spare tire, so I brought it out past that. I welded a plate in behind the crossbrace, then welded plate to front of crossbrace, then welded insert directly to plate. I trust it to tow my 6x8 trailer with my 800 lb. tractor, short distances, but braking and acceleration are limited! I'd guess I have around 200 lb. tongue weight. The loop is for my chains, and on the bottom pic, if you look through the loop, you can see the 4 pin trailer connector. 

Edited by drm101 - 14 Apr. 2021 at 4:08pm
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 4:03pm
Sorry, I can't do photos, (Bad computer), but mine is quite a bit closer to the body. I also have a center mounted spare and it all works.
john
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2021 at 5:48am
Here’s a couple of photos of mine.  I built a custom bumper and put the receiver thru it.  It stops at the backside of the bumper because I plan on adding a gas tank underneath one of these days.  Because of this, I have to have a shortened hitch insert.  I also never use it....lol

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2021 at 9:42am
That's a nice setup.  I'd like to see some more pictures of the actual mounting points.  The PO of my 2A put a fuel tank underneath so I have similar issues.  
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 3:54am
Here’s some more pics of the receiver and bumper.  The bumper is 2x4 box and the receiver completely penetrates it, welded on both sides.  I welded a blind end into the receiver and then tapped it for a bolt (see pic).  This requires a very short receiver hitch and new pin hole location.  The 2x4 box bumper is attached to the rear cross member (and frame) by nine 1/2” bolts.  The crossmember is attached to the frame and rear “V” support braces by 8 bolts.  

My Videos
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 1:56pm
Interesting.   So if I understand what I'm seeing, the receiver is strictly bolted to the 2A and you pretty much fabbed the entire bumper and receiver set up?   
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:26pm
The rear "K" member configuration is essentially the same on all early CJ's including the 5 & 6.  I don't believe there was ever a factory receiver hitch on these, at least none that I have seen.  The pintle mount would appear to be the easiest approach but will have the additional stick out.

I, like some of the above posts, replaced the rear cross member, out bordering it in an effort to get a couple more gallons of capacity in the rear fuel tank.  That made adding the receiver relatively easy.  Since the "K" member is gone, I made inserts that run inside the frame rails that both the bumper and roll bar bolt to.  You can see the roll bar mount plates above and outside the frame rails.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by wfopete wfopete wrote:

Interesting.   So if I understand what I'm seeing, the receiver is strictly bolted to the 2A and you pretty much fabbed the entire bumper and receiver set up?   

Yes, that’s correct.  Heavily bolted to the frame via a custom bumper and cross member.

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>