Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recovering front seats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recovering front seats
    Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 10:40pm
My wife made a pair of beautiful OD duck seat covers for our 1948 CJ2A from patterns we downloaded from the CJ2A page.
We now have a bit of confusion as to how to attach the bottom covers to the seat pans. 
We are using springs, felt and cotton batting under the cover but don't know for sure how to use the hooks on the bottom of the pan to hold everything in place. 
I have an idea but my wife has a different idea (naturally), so we need someone to break the stalemate. 
I don't really want to bang the hooks thru the material if I don't have to. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be great. Thanks!

timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 12:30am
I just did mine last year. Used the covers from Walck’s and everything was straight forward. I didn’t take any photos of the bottom pans, but yes you drive the teeth thru the material. If I remember correctly, making sure the “drawstring” is captured within that area to secure everything.

Post photos of your install and materials for guys to see.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

iland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 1:07am
Tim,
Thanks for the info. Having never seen one of Walck's covers, can I assume from your reply there is a drawstring sewn into the cover? Do you pull it tight and tie it off then put the cover under the hooks? The patterns my wife used did not mention a drawstring.
If so, it sounds simple enough. I will post pictures once I get them mounted. Do you have easy access to your Jeep where you can perhaps take a picture of the underside of the passenger seat and post it?
If not, no problem. I appreciate your reply.
Tim

timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 1:20am
Sure thing, no problem.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 3:24am
Here you go Tim. Let me know if you need more info.

Tim

1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

iland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 1:38pm
Tim,
Thanks for the photos. They're perfect, very helpful and look like I thought they would. You didn't mention the drawstring. I assume it's positioned under the hooks.
I think now I can get them installed. I'll post some photos soon.
Thanks again.
Tim
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 6:13pm
The drawstring is stitched into the edge of the material and wraps around the entire cover and is captured by the hook once it is nailed down. That is what gives the edge of the cover it's strength at the hooks. The excess string, once tied off, is hidden by the L-metal once you slide the pan into the catches and the back rest is installed over the top of it shielding it from view.

I hope that helps.

Edited by timcj2a - 05 Jan. 2018 at 6:16pm
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

iland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 6:23pm
Yep, exactly what I thought. Tim, I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me how it works. Now I just need to convince my wife to sew a drawstring into the cover. I'll be sure to post pictures once they're complete.
Thanks again.
Tim
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 11:57pm
Tim,

Here are a couple of photos that may help even more. These were taken when I began taking my original seats/covers apart.

The original "cordage" that is sewn into the "hem" of the seat cover measures out at 3/16" thick and is of a twisted variety (if you're looking for originality). Willys didn't have excess material to draw the material together, like the Walck's version, but the idea is the same and that is to give the teeth something to bite around at the perimeter.

Tim  

1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

iland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 12:39am
Tim,
Your cordage looks like what I was thinking went in there. As a matter of fact, I just ordered some of the same stuff in 5/32, almost exactly 3/16. We tried the method you have on your Walck's covers and are not real happy with the first attempt. The top and front side of the cushion looks great, but both sides and the rear side have a lot of wrinkles. We're thinking on trying a tighter loop for the drawstring and if that doesn't work we'll likely wait until the cord comes in and try that.
I appreciate your additional pictures and will keep you appraised of our results.
Thanks a lot.
Tim
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 12:58am
Good luck moving forward.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 4:19pm
Hi Guys,
I was reading the post and I thought that maybe someone can help me.
I found a pair of nice original bottom pans that I repaired and painted.
I was thinking that maybe I could use them, but unfortunatelly some of the hooks are broken.
see photo
Do you have any idea how these hokks can be repaired or replaced.
Tks in advance for your comments.

CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 4:45pm
The first thing that comes to mind would be to layout new locations and use a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to create new ones. Worth a shot.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

iland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 2:11pm
I agree with Timcj2a. I know it's thin steel, but, for aesthetics, one could weld the existing hooks and openings closed as well. Pick the worst one and put it on the drivers seat as it doesn't tilt up. Or, Walck's sells good replacements for $60. Wait until a major holiday and get 10% off. I had a perfect, intact  original pan but was missing the second, I ordered Walck's and it is an exact match. I'll post some pictures of mine soon. Good Luck.
Tim
iland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 12:41am
I finally got around to posting pictures of my new seat covers. They are OD duck fabric and look like they'll hold up pretty well. Thanks to the help from timcj2a, I attached my seat springs like his are. The seat backs are foam but the bottoms are springs. The foam gives a little more room from belly to steering wheel, and is more comfortable, I think. If I can help anyone with seat questions just ask. I'm not an expert but I know a lot more now than when I started.
iland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 12:43am
iland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 12:44am
iland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 12:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>