Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

relocating spring centerbolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: relocating spring centerbolts
    Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 5:43am
I need to move the rear axle on my 2A forward about 1 inch. Does anybody have any experience using a piece of 2 inch flat stock with a blind threaded hole for the relocted centerbolt and another  threaded hole ground flush with the bottom of the spring  for original centerbolt? 
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 11:40am
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 1:50pm
Hi John,

I have done this before. Simply mark a spot 1" from the original pin, and drill a new hole with a 5/16" drill bit. The trick is to go SLOW and HARD, and use oil or coolant. Once the bit starts to break through the other side, you need to ease up on the pressure, but continue to go slow. If you go too fast, it can work harden the metal. You don't have to take the spring pack apart. It does not require a special drill bit. I took a common high speed steel drill bit, sharpened it, and drilled through two spring packs, (just like yours), again, slow and hard, and eased up before breaking through.

Since you are only moving your pin 1", the old hole will be fully clamped by your spring clamps and they will receive no stress.

You will read, and some people will tell you that this will weaken the spring and it will eventually crack.

Don't believe it, and don't take my word for it either. You have seen my video evidence. Judge for yourself.

HTH
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 3:06pm
Good info!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 3:29pm
I forgot to add that I did this with a pistol drill. The "blue chip or pink slip" phrase does not apply here. If your chips are discolored, stop, sharpen your drill, go slower and or harder, use more coolant.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 4:21pm
How about you just relocate the indexing holes in the bottom of the D-44 axle perches ?
That allows you to re- use the same spring clips (U" bolts) and spring plates.
After all your only talking 1" offset  and your rear axle tube is larger diameter than the 1" of offset.
Plus that would not effect your shock pivot location. (shock length)

Edited by oldtime - 12 Apr. 2018 at 4:30pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 4:46pm
Is there any chance the spring was put in backwarks?
Could that have moved the bolt locations?
I'm about to replace one of my springs and better
to check if the bolt is centered on the spring or
heavy to one side.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 4:54pm
These springs are Holbrooks. They are purposefully offset and can only be mounted one way. Unless John changed it, this is a D41 axle with cast perches which have cast gussets on the bottom. Can you drill an offset hole in them? Mine you can't as the foot is not solid. You may have to weld a thin plate to them with an offset hole. I've done that before too. You would have to drill an offset hole in the bottom plate as well.
In the example I showed above, I was moving the axle farther than two inches.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Y2GREY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2GREY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 11:38pm
if we are talking Holbrook springs check your spring hangers, they may be an inch or so too far rearward. The center pins are already pretty far offset.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 12:02am
Correct.  Have already moved the perches about 3/4 " forward and 32 " tires still hit the rear of the fender well on full stuff. Holbrooks are very soft but have great articulation
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 12:30am
How do your shackle angles look at full stuff? Are they laying back pretty good? ... Maybe a little too far?.... if so, you could drill another hole in your front perch and move it forward this way:

My wheels were rubbing at the back of the wheel wells at stuff and my shackles were even breaking over. I did this field fix at Moab, and it ended up putting the axle exactly where I wanted it.

If you are happy with your shackle angles at full stuff, I’d move the axle on the spring.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Y2GREY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2GREY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 1:53am
is there enough meat on the axle perch to drill a second hole?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 2:39am
Yes....that's the way I did it too.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 2:53am
You can't drill a hole in the axle perch

... you would have to weld a plate to it or something.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 7:06am
Why not...that one has a hole in it?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Y2GREY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2GREY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 11:05am
Another option would adjusting upward wheel travel via bump stops.
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:33pm
Relocation plates like this?  You have to redrill/make the ubolt plates to match. It worked in spring over toyota land, but I was never really happy until I moved my front hangers.
custom sizes available:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml#CustomRelocationPlate

Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply