Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing old grease and dirt?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing old grease and dirt?
    Posted: 04 Mar. 2022 at 6:01pm
What is your preferred method of removing 70+ years of greasy, oily, muddy crud from engines, axle housings,  steering boxes, drag links, transmissions, transfer cases, etc... to get ready for paint?  I've tried sandblasting, pressure washing, wire wheels, screwdrivers, etc... I'm working on some stuff today that my pressure washer just wont touch.  And the sandblaster seems to be taking forever as well. 
My process is to start with a pressure wash first, then use a 1" wood chisel, followed by sandblasting, or wire wheel.

What are your methods?

Here is what I'm talking about, this is after the pressure washer.  I wonder how a hot water pressure washer would work?

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2022 at 8:17pm
I've had luck with parts like your showing by dipping a wire brush in kerosene and just scrubbing away, then wash it down and dry it, followed by paint usually. I only do this in open air for obvious reasons

The chisel looks good for big ideas but the gas and brush help brake up stuff in small or weird areas

Edited by General Eisenhower - 05 Mar. 2022 at 8:42pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2022 at 8:18pm
I've heard one of those really hot steam pressure washers will blast it away amazingly. 

I don't have one of those so I do a manual scrape with a putty knife and wire brush, then hose it down with degreaser, let it sit and eat on it for a bit, then pressure wash it off as best you can. For detail work I put a wire wheel on a drill and go to town, then throw the wire wheel away when it becomes hopelessly clogged with clay from 40 years ago.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2022 at 9:09pm
See if your local rental center has a steam cleaner.  If that's a dead end buy a few cans of over cleaner (EZ Off) and let that soak in for a bit followed by the pressure washer.  Might take multiple efforts; good luck.
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 8:50am
paint scraper/wire brush/chisel, then a tooth brush and can of mineral spirits. Finish with grease and wax remover if you're going to paint it. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 9:23am
I had my complete body off frame,engine ,transmission,and differentials Dry Ice blasted. Amazing!
DMusil
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 10:47am
Originally posted by DMusil DMusil wrote:

...Dry Ice blasted....

Learned something new today.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 11:01am
Heard of dry ice blasting being used in houses to remove mold
Mike in AZ
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 11:10am

I had my complete body off frame,engine ,transmission,and differentials Dry Ice blasted. Amazing!

I'm in the process of that method myself right now on another drivetrain.  I've been at it for a few months now but I think I'm doing it wrong, I think my dry ice is too wet....

Edited by Scratch - 05 Mar. 2022 at 11:12am
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 1:21pm
Think that engine is stuck yet ?

Years ago I rented a steam cleaner to clean up under the hood and the frame on an old truck we were going to paint. It did an amazing job, came out squeaky clean.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 1:48pm
Please, please, please: Never use gasoline to clean parts! That's a very dangerous recommendation. 
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2022 at 9:27am
I too used these methods. Very tedious.  
Try a air needle gun scaler. I just bought a compact one and plan to try it out this week.
If as you describe the built up crud is hardened grease & dirt I’ve heard about and saw video of a fellow using one to clean up a transmission. 
Prices are very diverse. I picked up one at horrible freight for $29.

Edited by Fred46 - 30 Apr. 2022 at 9:30am
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2022 at 10:56am
I haven’t done a part that big yet but so far I have used solvent, pressure washer, Purple Power, pressure washer, solvent, wire brush on the transmission and transfer case. I am down to the concrete like dried dirt. I have been using scotchbright wheels on the dremel to get the tight places and the discs on the die grinder to finish up. I would just get the parts hot tanked if there was one conveniently located for me. 

I used Easy-Off oven cleaner on a block once. It worked well but burned when it splashed on me when I hit it with the pressure washer. Not too bad on the arms and hands but the drop that landed on my lip got my attention. I am very glad I was wearing my sunglasses. 

Edited by Jeff J - 30 Apr. 2022 at 10:57am
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 1:26pm
This may or may not help you but  it’s worth a try. A couple years ago I installed a garden hose faucet plumbed to the HOT water system in the house (next to the existing cold faucets). It is really helpful for what you describe (it doesn’t hurt to temporarily crank up the temperature on your water heater either). I have not tried it with a pressure washer but I certainly see no reason that it wouldn’t work. Of course you only have 50 gallons of hot water at one time but I do what I can and then work on something else for awhile.
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 1:27pm
I meant to say “for an hour” not “for awhile”
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2023 at 9:35pm

Originally posted by DMusil DMusil wrote:

I'm in the process of that method myself right now on another drivetrain.  I've been at it for a few months now but I think I'm doing it wrong, I think my dry ice is too wet....

LOL.  Good one.

Edited by Qcanuck - 13 Aug. 2023 at 9:38pm
DMcGee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMcGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2024 at 7:23am
Yeah, that stuff is really caked on and hard to remove.  A steam cleaner is the best bet and will do a good job.
If a steam cleaner isnt available spray can degreaser from the LPS does a good job if its left to soak and the hit with a pressure washer. Took me a few times but got it all blasted off.   Hot water faucet thru a pressure washer helps alot.
The Gizzard
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2024 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

...Dry Ice blasted....

Learned something new today.

Me too......like to hear more. What is the purpose/advantage to the dry ice method?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>