Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Repair transmission cross member?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repair transmission cross member?
    Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 6:22pm
My 47 project cj2a was beat pretty hard by one of its former owners. I got the transmission and transfer case out for rebuild, engine was out last weekend. The transmission cross member looks like a taco. It still seems to bolt up ok to the transmission despite all its bends, and I didn’t find anything broken that wasn’t repaired by brazing already. Is it something I can safely heat and bend back into place, or would you consider it compromised due to stress?  Where do I find one for a 47 if I should need to replace it?
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 9:58pm
That one is pretty beat up, but could be straightened and would work fine, but I would look for a replacement, there are plenty out there, both original, and reproduction. Were you closer I would say come on over and I would give you one. Maybe someone closer would offer the same.

The 47 was hung by brackets on the frame, later were simply bolted to the frame. If you can find one like yours that would be easiest, but a later one that bolts to the frame will also work you just have to drill four holes. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply