Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

replace clutch or wait till goes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replace clutch or wait till goes.
    Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 1:21pm
I've got the trans out of my 2a. In the 500 fti drove the jeep before disassembly the clutch seems fine.  so does the bearing actually.  but I'm considering replacing both while I have trans out. ( and body access) omix has a kit on sale for 170 for clutch pressure plate bearing and fork.  what do you guys think I'll regret more. Buying a clutch I don't really need or not replacing it when it's easy to get to?
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 1:28pm
Replace it! I didn't and three months later I had to tear it down for a bad throw out bearing and pilot bushing. Just think of it as the time is to do it all again or 170 dollars.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by mike@iim mike@iim wrote:

omix has a kit on sale for 170 for clutch pressure plate bearing and fork.  what do you guys think I'll regret more.

Regret? Buying Omix.
Purchase quality parts and do the work while it's already apart.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 1:33pm
I say don't replace it, if you have not made that mistake before, you need to learn that lesson yourself! Big smile You can never have enough practice taking a motor or transmission in and out.....Be sure to have the clutch disk facing the correct way! A lesson I learned the fun way....

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 1:35pm
Generally the rule of thumb is to replace all of the parts while you are in there but considering the quality of Omix parts I would inspect what you have now and make your own call.
uncamonkey
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 1:48pm
Haha you have all just echoed my exact thoughts on the problem. I'll see what napa has then decide.  bearin fb is getting replaced no matter what. The clutch disk however looks clean and seems fine. I don't know original thickness but looks like plenty of material left.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 2:16pm
These are pretty simple engines to pull out, so going backing in is just a good weekend in the garage Smile.  I have replaced everything in the past with NOS parts, only to have to pull it apart again because the NOS throughout bearing began to make a whirring sound after less than hundred miles. 

If you don't drive it a bunch and have replaced the parts in the past - check the pilot bushing, examine the face of the fly wheel and pressure plate, replace the clutch and throughout bearing.

Is see kits to rebuild the pressure plate which is something else that can be done if the face of the pressure plate is good.

So many opportunities for good wrenching on these old Jeeps!

Edited by Stev - 30 Oct. 2017 at 2:22pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 6:38pm
I would examine the clutch disc (I can measure the thickness of a new one for you if you'd like), the pressure plate and the flywheel for wear, burns, and scores, and determine whether they are re-usable. I hope you marked the position of the pressure plate on the flywheel before you took it off. If you don't get it back on clocked the same way, it might chatter. The pilot bushing is cheap and easy, so replace it, and the throwout bearing is hard to judge, so replace it. If you do replace the pressure plate and disc, make sure you have the flywheel surfaced, or again, you're asking for a chatter.  BW

Edit: And I agree with RICKG about the regret part.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 6:52pm
I would add...  Don't assume the brand new Throw-Out bearing has been greased up real nice from the factory.  Nothing more aggravating than to have to take it back apart just to grease a brand new squeally bearing.

Edited by athawk11 - 30 Oct. 2017 at 10:39pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 7:13pm
If you only want to do this to prevent future problems... DO NOT USE OMIX PARTS.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 12:43am
I bought a clutch kit from Rockauto.com for a good price.  The throwout bearing is marked "Made in USA".  No OMIX.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 3:31am
I'll look into rock auto. Napa wasn't able to find one.  the bearing will definitely be replaced. The clutch disk and pressure plate are still undecided. They look fine but 70 year old parts sometimes brake.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 3:36am
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

I say don't replace it, if you have not made that mistake before, you need to learn that lesson yourself! Big smile You can never have enough practice taking a motor or transmission in and out.....Be sure to have the clutch disk facing the correct way! A lesson I learned the fun way....

ME TOO!  Just as much "fun" as pulling it the first time!!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Originally posted by mike@iim mike@iim wrote:

omix has a kit on sale for 170 for clutch pressure plate bearing and fork.  what do you guys think I'll regret more.

Regret? Buying Omix.
Purchase quality parts and do the work while it's already apart.

X3 on the regret.

While it is possible that those clutch parts are 70 Years old, I seriously doubt that they have not been replaced in those 70 years.

I would look at the pilot bushing, the disc & pressure plate. I would also replace the throw out bearing. remember to grease the new one. Also grease the pilot bushing.

Oh, in case I forgot, X3 on the regret. Buy good quality parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply