Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement frames

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement frames
    Posted: 23 Nov. 2016 at 4:34pm
What is the quality of the replacement frames out of MD Juan?  My CJ2A frame is beyond Bubba'd.  My tub is a mess, and most likely I would be looking at getting a replacement body tub and frame at the same time.  Is it a nightmare to try and swap everything over?  Has anyone done so and documented the build?
Chop chop
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2016 at 5:30pm

I'm not completely up to date on the repro frames, but years ago they were of the 3A style which is different than 2A. Two main things to pay attention to are radiator mounting and motor mount placement to make sure it's compatible with your current parts.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2016 at 8:10pm
Here's a link to an earlier discussion on repro frames. I'm not aware of any reproduction CJ2A frame. There is one company selling a replacement frame but it's made from steel tubing and prices start at $2000.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/reproduction-frame-assemblies_topic36247.html

Edited by rocketeer - 23 Nov. 2016 at 8:20pm
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 4:14pm
I just used an MD Juan replacement frame on a CJ2a build last summer.  The quality was good and all accessories located correctly without any modifications; however, as with any patent part, be prepared to make any modifications needed for proper fit.  MD Juan produces reproduction frames for Willys MB, GPW, and Willys Cj2a among others.
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2016 at 2:40am
Please link directly to a page showing a repro CJ2A frame for sale.

Edited by rocketeer - 25 Nov. 2016 at 2:42am
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 6:25am
Ok, I jumped in with both feet, a sawzall, disk grinder, and portable band saw. I am making progress unearthing the original frame. Bubba boxed the inner rear, and welded C channel to the outer rear. Horrible job. I am not 100% as I don't have all the C channel removed yet, but I think I am going to need to repair the rear foot or so of my frame. Both sides are pretty bad. I know some vendors sell the front frame rail sections. Does anyone sell the rear frame rail sections? Thanks.
Chop chop
Michael Browne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 7:35pm

Here's a link to a MD Juan CJ-2A frame for sale. I'm interested in hearing comments on using these.

I have already committed my project to using the MD Juan body kit. I currently have a frame that is in pretty good shape except the rear cross member is welded to the frame and needs to come off. Also, the center cross member needs some straightening done. Maybe some other items will come up as I move forward.

I can't do that kind of work in my setup, so I would have to pay to have it done. Just thinks that using this might be a lot less hassle; although, second thoughts are the old frame is probably a better grade of steel.

Michael Browne
Michael Browne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 3:21am
I've decide to use my original frame....

Michael Browne
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 5:25am
Likely a good idea.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply